Märklin announces Flying Scotsman in H0

sncf231e

When you mentioned Warship Models from Fleischmann and Märklin from the 1960s, I first expected they took just a german V200 and just painted them green, red or blue...

5 hours ago, RichardT said:

Suspect that the Witte deflectors fitted to the current incarnation may be part of the appeal to German modellers!

RichardT

When my Uncle saw the first time a Picture of an A3 with Smoke Deflectors in one of my british Railway Books, his first Comment was "looks like the Englanders copied our Post War Smoke Deflectors!"

Fun Fact: He's born in 1963!

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It will be to a particular scale. I would doubt there's exclusivity within 4mm scale either; the NRM could give out multiple licences within a scale.

It looks to be well specced and detailed - but the boiler looks a bit 'fat' in the catalogue images whilst the EP looks better proportioned but with a bit of skirt at the front of the boiler. Odd.

In my experience collecting Trix Ho digital renders in their catalogue can be a bit misleading.

A still from the video shows all metal tender with a nice close coupling

22886_flying_scotsman_4.jpg

22886_flying_scotsman_3.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 12-35-50 Märklin train 3073 warship class.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Not the first time there's been a Trix Flying Scotsman…

back in the 1960s about the same time Triang-Hornby made theirs. It was actually to 4mm scale and made by Liliput; if the tooling still exists Bachmann will have it (the Bachmann A4 was derived from the Trix [Liliput] tooling).

The changes of ownership of (British)  Trix in the 1960s could fill a book…

As far as I know these were produced between 1970 and 1973 with parts supplied by Liliput of Austria:

P1130749.JPG.cfbfb5cf371ba23d656daa09ec1b5e1c.JPGP1130747.JPG.c982b171f831a72fc290c53bd9bac9e7.JPG

See my e-book on the subject: http://sncf231e.nl/lner-pacifics-and-nyc-hudsons/

Regards

Fred

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So that central headlamp is very much in the model style of a high intensity headlight, this is as preserved then.

I think the marketing blurb says 1963 condition...

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, maico said:

The youtube auto-translate feature can be useful. Not perfect but better than nothing.

The Marklin English voiceover.

Nice video - thanks for posting the dubbed version.   At least the word “iconic” wasn’t used by the narrator…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

But those are very clearly present-day OHLE stickers...

The blurb says :-

"This is a description of a Class A3 steam express locomotive with a tender, specifically the version used as a museum locomotive, 60103. The locomotive has been restored to its 1963 appearance, complete with a Corridor tender and smoke deflectors, and is currently operational and based at the National Railway Museum in York, England."

Given the vagaries of translation maybe that actually means that it's modelled as per today's build standard, which is meant to represent 1963 condition.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Would this sell well in the US, or is the US HO different to European HO?

They just need some coaches now and then we've got the start of British HO, to go alongside British TT.

This is all getting very Satellite TV - we used to have just the four scales O, OO, 009, N and life was so simple.  🤣

Note: I know this is a one off, not some sort of new attempt at British HO

It would run with no issues, however I suspect the US market would much prefer an Apple Green LNER livery as this would be a closer match to the condition it went over then on it's ill fated tour.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

The blurb says :-

"This is a description of a Class A3 steam express locomotive with a tender, specifically the version used as a museum locomotive, 60103. The locomotive has been restored to its 1963 appearance, complete with a Corridor tender and smoke deflectors, and is currently operational and based at the National Railway Museum in York, England."

Given the vagaries of translation maybe that actually means that it's modelled as per today's build standard, which is meant to represent 1963 condition.

That's exactly the meaning in the German text. Modelled on the current preserved loco condition, which itself represents the 1963 condition with the corridor tender and smoke deflectors.

This seems an odd era to model for me as it is not the condition the loco was in when it actually visited H0 markets like the US and Australia. I really don't know who this loco is aimed at, beautiful as it is likely to be. I hope Märklin hasn't made a massive mistake with this. It's expensive even by German standards.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Its aimed at all those rich German collectors and players who will love this loco and all its liverys .If they were that bothered by total authenticity they wouldnt have a strip of studs up the middle of their track.Goodluck and have fun.Is there a corner of Little Blighty on the Wunderland fantasy world?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, friscopete said:

...If they were that bothered by total authenticity they wouldnt have a strip of studs up the middle of their track...

Well, you buy the 2-rail Trix version

Edited by maico
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

That's exactly the meaning in the German text. Modelled on the current preserved loco condition, which itself represents the 1963 condition with the corridor tender and smoke deflectors.

This seems an odd era to model for me as it is not the condition the loco was in when it actually visited H0 markets like the US and Australia. I really don't know who this loco is aimed at, beautiful as it is likely to be. I hope Märklin hasn't made a massive mistake with this. It's expensive even by German standards.

The price is similar to the Belgian class 1 they made a couple of years ago

https://www.trix.de/en/lp/20/big-surprise-2020

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, murphaph said:

There's little to stop them doing different versions in the future. Look at how many versions Hornby are doing or have done in the past with previous A1/A3 models. All the basic parts would be suitable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 24/02/2023 at 10:55, BernardTPM said:

Going to be a lot better than their last British outline loco, the Warship. It should also have appeal to US and Australian modellers wanting to recreate it's overseas trips.

Marklin's last British outline model was a Z gauge Class 47 , after Z Club UK twisted their arm . That was a long time ago

On 24/02/2023 at 11:15, ellocoloco said:

Finally a scale model of a British outline locomotive - wow and well done. Can anyone suggest the best UK retailer for ordering this?

Actually the Hornby TT-120 models of A1/A3 and A4 have pipped this to that particular post - and you can get accurate coaches with them. In fact you could probably buy both sets and a few extra coaches for the price of this loco. Not sure this is really a second coming of British HO - more a "trophy model" for the display cabinet

(Though I'm not sure I would call anything 3-rail a scale model ....)

I look forward to the Germans doing a head to head review of the Hornby TT:120 A3 and this Marklin model  🤪

(In view of Marklin's commercial judgement here, perhaps we can lay to rest the claim that Hornby have got it "totally wrong" by their choice of flagship launch models for the TT range. The high end D+E market is only one element of the total market - and not necessarily the largest one)

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Actually the Hornby TT-120 models of A1/A3 and A4 have pipped this to that particular post

Actually, the 1994 Precision Scale Models A3 model pipped even the TT-120 A3 to that post by a good 29 years. Fully detailed and RTR, to HO scale, RP25-88 profile wheels, even a working centre crank axle and connecting rod. Available in Australian tour condition (limited edition of 150), as 60103 in pretty much this condition (25) or the following (only 5 of each):
60044 Melton BR lined green, ex-GNR tender, double chimney, deflectors
60049 Galtee More BR lined green, ex-GNR tender, double chimney, deflectors
60065 Knight of Thistle BR lined green, ex-GNR tender, single chimney
60096 Papyrus BR lined green, ex-GNR tender, double chimney
60110 Robert the Devil BR lined green, ex-GNR tender, single chimney

I have attached a couple of photos of my personal Australian condition one (build 007/150) next to a Hornby R2687 which is modelled in the same condition. The eagle-eyed will even note the deflector under the cab for the extra chime whistle it carried whilst out here. And yes-I'd love to see the Märklin model done in both USA and Australian tour conditions in future releases.

278795248_534208928263241_684332019376809840_n.jpg

279393889_3970547006502885_7639661838778090652_n.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

Marklin's last British outline model was a Z gauge Class 47 , after Z Club UK twisted their arm . That was a long time ago

I thought the bodies were made here to fit the Marklin chassis (and the distortions done to that make the Warship look good!), but perhaps not then.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Actually the Hornby TT-120 models of A1/A3 and A4 have pipped this to that particular post - and you can get accurate coaches with them.   

Having measured my TT:120 A4 as just over 25mm = 10 scale feet wide over cylinders then I don't see it as any more or less of an accurate scale model than OO, just predictably a different compromise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I thought the bodies were made here to fit the Marklin chassis (and the distortions done to that make the Warship look good!), but perhaps not then.

You might be right (bit like pre-war Trix!) , though I had been under the impression it was a Marklin product

I've always had Marklin down as actively uninterested in the British market,  so this new model is a bit of a surprise

(Was the demise of British Minitrix before or after Marklin acquired Trix?)

New British outline Minitrix models were introduced after the split with Hornby, but I'm not sure how long they continued for. From memory I'd say the early 1990s.

Back in the '60s (and probably the '70s) the Hamo label was used for 2-rail versions of the Marklin range.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2023 at 17:31, woodenhead said:

So that central headlamp is very much in the model style of a high intensity headlight, this is as preserved then.

The air pipes are another giveaway.

Does anyone else think they've stuck a 4mm scale chimney on it?  Possibly one from a Hornby Rebuilt Scot?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Actually the Hornby TT-120 models of A1/A3 and A4 have pipped this to that particular post - and you can get accurate coaches with them.

Yes, but H0 is the ideal compromise scale between 00 and TT 😉

RichardT

PS Not sure that Hornby calling some Pullmans “The Scotsman” really counts as accurate coaches. In the meantime of course, in N you can run your A3s and A4s with Gresley or Thompson teaks…

PPS I apologise for the slightly petty tone of the last paragraph. But I am struck by the fact that a lot of the TT120 early adopters on RMWeb do seem to have a habit of denigrating other modelling scales to justify their interest in TT120, instead of just regarding the existence of a range of possible modelling scales as adding to life’s rich tapestry. Simon Kohler *has* to rubbish the scales Hornby doesn’t support - he’s got product to sell. Doesn’t mean the rest of us have to follow his lead.

And we now return to our scheduled H0 programmes.

• Like 5