Statfold Barn Model Railway Exhibition.

LNERandBR

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I am trying to fathom if this is a wind up, for someone who likes Gauge 1 live steam it's an odd statement to make.

If it is a wind up maybe I shouldn’t have responded to it, as that only encourages such statements. Perhaps it was an April Fool’s Day comment and we’ve all been had, although possibly a bit late in the day for that?

After experience at other exhibitions at heritage railways I do realise that working loco sheds are not the best place for the layouts themselves, particularly in smaller scales (dirt causing electrical problems, uneven floor etc.) but I don’t even think that’s the point being made in this case (unless I’ve misunderstood).

Sadly I’m working this weekend but have been meaning to get to Statfold for some time; it’s good that there now seem to be more opportunities to do this and that the process to visit is easier.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

26 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

It may be a little perverse, but the above description of the exhibition environment has just moved this towards the top of my list of places to visit.

Especially if the smell of the steam locos overwhelms the normal smells we all complain about at shows. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I do realise that working loco sheds are not the best place for the layouts themselves,

Statfold is far from that sort of environment; their main 'shed' is more to the standard and quality of the NRM.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, Dava said:

Enjoyed the show and the narrow gauge railways with so many locos in service, plus the Burton & Ashby tramcar. Superb venue and very well organised.

Dava

A bit off-topic but I’d be interested to know more about what they’re doing with the tram (in an operational sense, I already know about its repatriation and restoration). Is it still 3ft gauge (rather than original 3’ 6”) and now battery-powered? And how far can it run up and down at Statfold?

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Statfold is far from that sort of environment; their main 'shed' is more to the standard and quality of the NRM.

I know, I was just wondering if that was what was meant in the complaint post, as it was a bit unclear. Even then it’s more the sort of thing I’d expect to be a problem for exhibitors rather than visitors.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

A bit off-topic but I’d be interested to know more about what they’re doing with the tram (in an operational sense, I already know about its repatriation and restoration). Is it still 3ft gauge (rather than original 3’ 6”) and now battery-powered? And how far can it run up and down at Statfold?

Sorry I don’t know the gauge. But it is battery powered. It runs from its shed location down to station behind the roundhouse.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dava said:

Enjoyed the show and the narrow gauge railways with so many locos in service, plus the Burton & Ashby tramcar. Superb venue and very well organised.

Dava

Which years before my residence here and before this house was constructed ( 1936 ) once ran frontally between Burton and Ashby through a purpose built cutting  below the house. Hence the frontage needs cultivation and maintenance of above average standard 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, dagrizz said:

PaulaDoesntDoSteamTrains

PaulaDosentDoTrains or dose`nt understand the idea of the event  

Edited by 40F
  • Like 1

Well I visited and had an enjoyable day out. Much longer than your average exhibition. This is a significant exhibition on the circuit.  The venue was excellent. The main hall is a well lit well heated space.

The exhibits were good. Nothing standout but very good.  The trade was good and brisk.  The brochure (included in the price) was excellent.

Most of all this is a rounded attraction and the highest proportion of kids I have seen.

This was a great day out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Whist I'm exhibiting this year, the price I think is excellent. You are effectively paying for entry to a Model Railway Show but also getting access to a Narrow Gauge Railway and Museum.

Having had an excellent day today I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Only problem is having to pack the layout away and take it home. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

If it is a wind up maybe I shouldn’t have responded to it, as that only encourages such statements. Perhaps it was an April Fool’s Day comment and we’ve all been had, although possibly a bit late in the day for that?

It's not a wind-up or April Fools joke. It's my honest opinion. That it may not align with your preconceived ideas of how someone who likes to play with toy trains would react to being ripped off and covered in filth and pollution is not my problem.

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, dagrizz said:

PaulaDoesntDoSteamTrains

PaulaDoesntDoRealSteamTrains. It's a bit like dog excrement - fake stuff can be amusing, real stuff utterly revolting (although there may well be some here who prefer real excrement to the fake stuff for all I know 😀).

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

not my problem.

I won't have you maligning a well-run operation here because of your unrealistic expectations and lack of common sense. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

A nasty experience at a rip-off price. Hated it and will never ever go back there for any reason.

I think I preferred it when you had to send off with an SAE for tickets...

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, PaulaDoesTrains said:

We'll agree to differ then and leave it that shall we?

No 'we' won't. You published injurious comments and should retract them or apologise. 

• Agree 4

I went last year and really enjoyed it. The chance to see both the live narrow gauge steam and the layouts certainly made it a different experience, and all at a reasonable cost. Couldn`t make this year but will keep an eye open for future events.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

It's not a wind-up or April Fools joke. It's my honest opinion. That it may not align with your preconceived ideas of how someone who likes to play with toy trains would react to being ripped off and covered in filth and pollution is not my problem.

As someone who has visited  many model railway exhibitions, heritage railways and numerous other events I can say as a visitor to Statfold Barn today that this exhibition certainly is not a rip off.  At £14 it is excellent value for money entertainment by any measure. I must also point out that Statfold Barn is a newish attraction with mostly modern buildings. As such it is cleaner and fresher than most heritage railways. Pauladoestrains might be expressing an honest opinion but it cannot be not an opinion based on experience of the real world.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

19 minutes ago, Chris M said:

At £14 it is excellent value for money entertainment

If this is the price then I definitely agree. Especially if you consider that for Statfold that’s effectively the combined cost of attending a model railway exhibition, visiting a museum and riding on a short heritage railway. And most museums and visitor attractions are increasingly having to deal with complicated hidden costs, in addition to the more obvious ones.

19 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

My wife and her friend now want to build an N gauge or 009 layout

Surely, having spent the day at Statfold with its superb narrow gauge collection, they should have settled on 009 by now? 😀😜

39 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

It's a bit like dog excrement - fake stuff can be amusing, real stuff utterly revolting (although there may well be some here who prefer real excrement to the fake stuff for all I know 😀).

In the nicest possible way, I’m not sure this analogy quite works. And the accompanying insinuation is just bizarre… 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

And the accompanying insinuation is just bizarre… 

For which a warning has been issued, weird and inappropriate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1