Statfold Barn Model Railway Exhibition.

LNERandBR

Don't see this posted anywhere so thought I'd start a topic.

The Statfold Barn Railway are holding their second ever Model Railway Exhibition on the 1st and 2nd April.

837207270_2023ModelRailwayPoster_page-0001(1).jpg.e36e830226af8422ebfa2f6f3797b65e.jpg

https://www.statfold.com/modelrailwayexhibition

I went last year and enjoyed it and this year will be exhibiting with my clubs layout, Tytton Hall Yard.

FB_IMG_1677594454363.jpg.7eca2d0921354fb9f653555d5df34b7b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

The advertising clearly states "Layouts of all scales" and yet the layout list does not include any N gauge. This is very disappointing because N gauge is certainly one of the big three scales. I enjoyed last year's show. This year I shall buy a ticket and if there aren't any N gauge layouts there I will ask for my money back as the advertising wasn't honest.

It would be interesting to hear why the organisers decided to ignore N gauge for their exhibition, or did they just decide not to bother to include any N gauge layouts in their list of layouts. There are plenty of good N gauge layouts available for exhibition.

• Funny 1

24 minutes ago, Chris M said:

The advertising clearly states "Layouts of all scales" and yet the layout list does not include any N gauge. This is very disappointing because N gauge is certainly one of the big three scales. I enjoyed last year's show. This year I shall buy a ticket and if there aren't any N gauge layouts there I will ask for my money back as the advertising wasn't honest.

It would be interesting to hear why the organisers decided to ignore N gauge for their exhibition, or did they just decide not to bother to include any N gauge layouts in their list of layouts. There are plenty of good N gauge layouts available for exhibition.

There’s no Gn15 either (to give one example) - arguably more relevant in this case given the largely narrow gauge collection at Statfold. To truly represent ‘all scales’ they would need to have S, TT, Z, T, 1:12 etc. etc. as well.

• Agree 1

Whereas you can't expect "all scales" to literally mean all scales it is reasonable to expect all of the most popular scales to be represented. I remain disappointed that a reasonably large general exhibition with 35 layouts does not appear to have any N gauge. It is fair to say that they claim to have 35 layouts but the list on their website only shows 25 layouts so it may be that they have got an N gauge layout or two but don't want to publicise it. Either way the show management doesn't seem to be very N gauge friendly.

• Funny 1

Thanks. New Dalby has been added this morning; it wasn't on the list at 8:00 today. The list on their website has grown from 25 to 28 this morning. One can't help but wonder what the other 7 will be. To be fair, no matter how well planned the list of layouts attending any show can be dynamic right up to the Friday before the show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris M said:

. . . . To be fair, no matter how well planned the list of layouts attending any show can be dynamic right up to the Friday before the show.

Several years ago, a member exhibited a layout at our village hall show with a "For Sale" sign on it. The layout sold on Saturday and was taken away at the end of the day - and so he brought another on the Sunday !  Most of his layouts were Swiss / Austrian, completely flat, oval of track, couple of points, station building and a few chalet style buildings - the thing we always remembered about his layouts was the use of a very bright green grass mat. Several of our members didn't notice the difference and the description in the guide fitted both layouts!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There aren't any EM, P4 or S scale layouts either, but I won''t be chucking my toys out of the pram, I'm coming over a week early to attend.

Mike.

To be fair though (and perhaps a bit pedantically), it does say ‘scale’. They are gauges and there’s plenty of other 4mm scale (009 and 00).

7 hours ago, Chris M said:

Whereas you can't expect "all scales" to literally mean all scales it is reasonable to expect all of the most popular scales to be represented.

I was surprised that there isn’t more of a narrow gauge theme, given the collection at Statfold. In that context there are more Gn15 layouts (for example) than there are 2mm narrow gauge ones. Of course you could ask all the 009 exhibitors, in time honoured (but rather irritating) fashion, if their layouts are N gauge…

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Several years ago, a member exhibited a layout at our village hall show with a "For Sale" sign on it. The layout sold on Saturday and was taken away at the end of the day - and so he brought another on the Sunday !  Most of his layouts were Swiss / Austrian, completely flat, oval of track, couple of points, station building and a few chalet style buildings - the thing we always remembered about his layouts was the use of a very bright green grass mat. Several of our members didn't notice the difference and the description in the guide fitted both layouts!

And there I was thinking Swiss layouts always have mountains. 😀 Did he sell the second one as well?

There was nothing for my chosen scale/era last year, but it was still an excellent day out and I didn't moan that I wasn't represented. This year there is one, but its rather small given the scale! Each to their own I suppose!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

And there I was thinking Swiss layouts always have mountains. 😀 Did he sell the second one as well?

He traded it in with another member who at that time was a second hand trader, regularly going to swapmeets. Vic changed scale / gauge regularly and enjoyed building layouts, but he would often come back a few weeks later and swap to a different scale / gauge - of course the 'trader' always won by letting him have stock worth less than what he was trading in 😀

• Like 1

According to the Statfold e-newsletter I've received, the locos in use will be:

• Peckett 0-6-0STST 'Harrogate'

• Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0PT No.1172 'Alpha'

• Hunslet 0-4-2 No.1842 'Horward'

• Fowler 0-4-2T No.13355 'Saccharine'

• Hunslet No.3903 0-4-0ST 'Statfold'

• Avonside 0-4-0T No.2066 'Ogwen'

• Exmoor Steam Railway 332 ‘Victoria’

Plus Bagnall 0-4-2T No.3023 'Isaac' on Driver for a Fiver duties

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this exhibition. We went last year as punters, but taking our layout Mortimer Street Depot - which I think is the only O gauge layout at the show. Come and say hello if you are attending - we don't bite!

MSD 1.jpg

• Like 3

I went to Statfold Barn exhibition today. I had a really great day. Most enjoyable. Perhaps no showstoppers but lot of very good layouts that are well worth seeing. Most layouts had plenty of things moving which is always good to see. A lot of trade, while there were a lot of box shifter traders there also quite a few selling those all important bits and pieces. And of course there were the train rides and all the locos in the roundhouse. 
Taking everything into account a very good value day out. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the show and the narrow gauge railways with so many locos in service, plus the Burton & Ashby tramcar. Superb venue and very well organised.

Dava

• Agree 2

Went this morning. What a horrible, horrible place. I only really went to see the Gauge 1 layout. It took me absolutely ages to find it and I had to endure significant exposure to the filth from the steam locos to get to and from the shed where they'd hidden the Gauge 1 layout. When I got home I had to have shower and put all my clothes in the wash due the stench of the pollution I'd been exposed to. A nasty experience at a rip-off price. Hated it and will never ever go back there for any reason.

• Funny 11

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

What a horrible, horrible place.

It is an excellent attraction and facility with numerous excellent events.

RMweb is not TripAdvisor. You may well have devalued your other opinions and contributions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a very enjoyable day at the show. It is a fantastic venue. Will take some photos of the layouts tomorrow.

As ever great to meet up with folks.

Since our three trips to the line last year, they have added another line.

Cheers, Ade.

B43FEA99-F74D-42D1-AFF1-86DD8956102F.jpeg

46255C2A-D6B0-4872-86AF-FAB3514FFDE1.jpeg

9E80D98A-AEFC-4B59-B1E1-15DE03F62F93.jpeg

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Went this morning. What a horrible, horrible place. I only really went to see the Gauge 1 layout. It took me absolutely ages to find it and I had to endure significant exposure to the filth from the steam locos to get to and from the shed where they'd hidden the Gauge 1 layout. When I got home I had to have shower and put all my clothes in the wash due the stench of the pollution I'd been exposed to. A nasty experience at a rip-off price. Hated it and will never ever go back there for any reason.

I am trying to fathom if this is a wind up, for someone who likes Gauge 1 live steam it's an odd statement to make.

• Agree 6