Statfold Barn Model Railway Exhibition.

LNERandBR

Looks a good event and location.  Unfortunately the SSB* developed an irritating minor fault which couldn't be fixed until Monday so I couldn't come over, but hopefully next year I'll try to get over.  Not being too far from Rugeley I daresay my niece, who does like trains, might come as well.  Thanks to the photographers for the uploads.

*SSB? Swedish State Barge, what my Saab estate has been dubbed after handling two house moves for friends...

• Like 2

On 21/03/2023 at 07:04, 009 micro modeller said:

There’s no Gn15 either (to give one example) - arguably more relevant in this case given the largely narrow gauge collection at Statfold. To truly represent ‘all scales’ they would need to have S, TT, Z, T, 1:12 etc. etc. as well.

There was T gauge, infact there were two T gauge layouts.

Edited by CSR 11 Fiji
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2023 at 19:53, AY Mod said:

Statfold is far from that sort of environment; their main 'shed' is more to the standard and quality of the NRM.

Indeed, part of one of the sheds seen below, very clean and tidy.

IMG_20230401_145327.jpg.adaf3d954993d4021b1f60c2ea659b8c.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2023 at 16:54, NHY 581 said:

What a fab set of photos. Thanks Adrian.

Not a hint of any filth or pollution let alone dog poo to be seen. 

Great stuff. 

Rob

No, you had to go outside for the really objectionable filth...

IMG_20230401_153248_1.jpg.cfd14996e8874a7b6023c5bfb8a38eb6.jpg

IMG_20230401_115727.jpg.315c0b6c27925b39dca7875d50bc6342.jpg

IMG_20230401_115918_1.jpg.7c438e859dca69ab6d469c6d7c535ec0.jpg

IMG_20230401_104806_1.jpg.a36ce5b1c97900b4e584f913db711429.jpg

Loved it.

£14 (advance ticket), free parking, model railway exhibition, beer, food, narrow gauge trains - what's not to love?

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Loved it.

£14 (advance ticket), free parking, model railway exhibition, beer, food, narrow gauge trains - what's not to love?

Top stuff. To be fair, PaulaDoesn'tDoTrains sold it to me thanks to the absurdity of the comments made. 

Sadly, I probably won't get the full effect as I've still got a wonky sense of smell thanks to Mr COVID. However, never say never. 

Might even get a T shirt made up for the day.......

"Filth and pollution...........Idoodootrains"

Rob

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

31 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Loved it.

Some great photos there. The new miniature line looks interesting and nicely done too.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I really liked this one. Amazing water.

T gauge.jpg

And that encapsulates the whole thread - bar one misfit - as it seems "Come on in, the water's lovely" is the finding of several Grown-Ups whose judgement I trust. I had heard positive things about Statfold Barn elsewhere, and this just shows it to be a thoroughly professional outfit worth visiting if the opportunity arises. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, 2ManySpams said:

Loved it.

All those dirty, polluting steam locos should be banned immediately. How dare they run such terrible machines at a family event!

I was so impressed that I intend to take my grandchildren to other events there during the summer.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

a thoroughly professional outfit worth visiting if the opportunity arises. 

It certainly is, in years gone by visits were on a private basis and then about 4 years ago there were more open weekends, post-Covid there have been numerous and diverse events appealing to the family and non-enthusiast markets. It keeps getting more accessible open all over Easter and then from 19 April they're open Wednesday to Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

To think I didn’t know this place existed until handed a leaflet by Tony’s Trains at Doncaster.And it’s just a 30 minute drive from my house. A glorious day out for all ages.Go and enjoy it if you can.

It's only 5 miles down the road from me and on my way to work. Despite this I hadn't heard of it until about 5 years ago when the site went from invitation only to publicly advertised events. Hard to miss the entrance now with a great lump of loco (Cadbury livery) sat on a plinth, plus all the lights and adverts.

I have to say it's one of the best managed and maintained steam railways. Must have invested millions in building it up, and every time you go there's something new. Unlike a lot of railways, just about everything looks like it could be picked up an run - no long lines of stock rusting away and piles of junk everywhere. 

The mix of events run also does a lot to bring in 'normal' families too - saw lots of kids enjoying being able to ride in the open right next to the loco. Didn't see anyone that was bothered by the smoke and steam. The exhibition itself was in clean, well lit and well ventilated halls - no dirt or smoke.

There was no rule that you had to ride on the trains and it was possible to avoid the steam trains at the event if you so wished. For me a big attraction to this event is the mix of model railways and live steam engines and the museums. Great stuff.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

As my closer mates are well aware, i usually have absolutely zero interest in anything narrow gauge.

so it should say something in the fact that this is my stand out favourite show of the year.

last year was ace, this year similar, although a little less going on in the museum side layout wise.

the show has a lovely chilled atmosphere, everyone is friendly and B.O levels are down from other shows.

trader wise there is a decent mix, some that arnt regulars which is good.

food there is decent and not as silly priced as other venues.

as for the other stuff to do? Wow what a brilliant place! There is just so much to see, the train rides are great fun and packed throughout the day.  It was amazing to see the progression there only a year on. 
all squeaky clean and a nice place to be.

i just wish it was open later on the sunday is all. 4pm comes very fast.

i hope i can one day bring Harefield along to exhibit.

eric

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

i just wish it was open later on the sunday is all. 4pm comes very fast.

By the time we packed the layout away, loaded, driven to the clubroom, unloaded, driven home it was 9pm. 😊

From an exhibitors point of view it was very well organised. The large doors on the main exhibition hall allowing us to avoid the massive rain showers that kept appearing on the Friday.

Some swift rearranging of parking plans ensured to avoind the sodden grassed areas. However all was well come Saturday and Sunday.

I understand there are plans to improve the Exhibitor lunches. 😉

Overall a very enjoyable show to exhibit at and I look forward to coming as a visitor in future years.

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

T gauge.jpg

Whats even more incredible is the lady who made it was on our stand. (Lawries Mechanical Marvels the yootoober where we had a bunch of little layouts of various scales to show what you can do with basically zero space ranging from T-0 gauge) My own is a glorified, functional photoplank that I was still making in the week beforehand!

Thats her second attempt at model railway layouts and she had a lot of fun talking to people who dont normally "do" model railways by talking about her craft background and how much fun she has with it. Emphasisng the fact it's in a boxfile was a major talking point, especially with Suitcase Trains just next door in the main roundhouse.

The railway really is completely incidental to the scene, and thats what made it wonderful.

The video on our stand and the show should be out this Friday, all being well.

8 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

To think I didn’t know this place existed until handed a leaflet by Tony’s Trains at Doncaster.And it’s just a 30 minute drive from my house. A glorious day out for all ages.Go and enjoy it if you can.

There's a LOT of really good events coming up this year.

The Trust went public in 2019, on the basis it would build itself up during 2020, and 2021 and-

Oh yeah.

So what should be like, year 4/5 of being more public is like year 2 n a bit.

Edited by Din
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I'm surprised you weren't aware of it, the monstrous pall of smoke and filth being constantly spewed heavenwards should have given the game away, as would the smuts on your washing!

Mike.

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm surprised you weren't aware of it, the monstrous pall of smoke and filth being constantly spewed heavenwards should have given the game away, as would the smuts on your washing!

Mike.

To be fair, you CAN see the pall of black smoke rising from a good mile or two out on our Spectacle of Steams firs thing in the morning. 😅

6 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I understand there are plans to improve the Exhibitor lunches. 😉

Phil the Catering manager did such an amazing job, considering they've only taken sandwich prep "in house" like less than two weeks ago. So I suspect the lunches were what he could quickly put together en masse for an acceptable price point. Now they have full control and a year's advance notice, I reckon we'll get something good in next year.

To be fair, I did glance at the catering prices, and considering the prices the public is expected to pay elsewhere, and have seen at places like Doncaster, Warley etc, I think it did very well.

He was a happy man after tallying up after the weekend, I know that much!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Din said:

Phil the Catering manager did such an amazing job, considering they've only taken sandwich prep "in house" like less than two weeks ago. So I suspect the lunches were what he could quickly put together en masse for an acceptable price point. Now they have full control and a year's advance notice, I reckon we'll get something good in next year.

To be fair, I did glance at the catering prices, and considering the prices the public is expected to pay elsewhere, and have seen at places like Doncaster, Warley etc, I think it did very well.

He was a happy man after tallying up after the weekend, I know that much!

I had a nice, fresh, baguette type thing and a coffee for a very acceptable price.

Mike.

On 05/04/2023 at 09:24, Phil Parker said:

T gauge.jpg

That is amazing, especially given the small scale (or perhaps the sense of depth is possible because of the small scale). Any idea of whether it has a non-scenic ‘stick’ in addition to the box file section in the photo?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

That is amazing, especially given the small scale (or perhaps the sense of depth is possible because of the small scale). Any idea of whether it has a non-scenic ‘stick’ in addition to the box file section in the photo?

As I recall, the train just shuttled back and forth on scene.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1