Confessions of a Canton goods guard

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

All of these comments on my two photos are most gratifying - I'm so glad I posted them, even if they were a bit rubbish 😬

So am I, Halvarras, rubbish or not (and I'd say not, I've seen, and taken, much worse) they triggered some happy😃 memories!  There must be many railway photographs which do not instantly strike one as being brilliant but which contain interest and useful modelling information in the backgrounds and off to the sides of the main subject.  The shocvans here are a case in point; we've established that they weren't fitted heads for iron ore trains, but a discussion may yet be provoked that determines what they were doing in that location.  Something tin-plated at the depot, perhaps, but there must have been quite a bit of it...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

During my short and not particularly illustrious British Telecom career, I worked with a bloke who was a lifelong and dedicated fan of Newort County; this was in the 80s and a time when they were doing not very well even by thier standards.  I had to admire his stoicism and persistence, a true fan. 

I worked in Peterborough with a bloke from Newport.  One day I asked him if he was growing a beard.  He said, no he just wasn't shaving till County won at Home,  If memory serves they had lost 34 home games in succession!

Edited by Michael Hodgson
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Halvarras said:

All of these comments on my two photos are most gratifying - I'm so glad I posted them, even if they were a bit rubbish 😬

Content over quality - any day.

Post any that you have.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2023 at 20:34, The Johnster said:

This knowledge, or at least the awareness that it existed and was used, marked my psychological transition from enthusiast to, well, something else.  I am enthusiastic about railways, but since that morning have never regarded myself as a railway enthusiast.  It's a difference of attitude, and difficult to explain quantitatively, but nonetheless genuine  and real. 

Bit late back to read this post, but I recognise that transition too.  Also happened to me in my first week as an employee.  Was best part of 5 years before I knew what a Sectional Appendix was mind!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John Besley said:

Very intresting insight into railway work from the opposite end of a train - enjoying the ride

To quote the old rhyme:-

'The guard is the man

who rides in the van

The van's at the back of the train

The driver, in front, thinks the guard is a c*nt

and the guard thinks the driver's the same'.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2023 at 22:28, The Johnster said:

Bardic Handlamp (seriously indestructible piece of kit, dropped mine off a loco at 60mph, barely scratched and undamaged when I recovered it, had a bracket on the back to enable use as a substitute tail or head lamp, three colours, white/red/green, and an inbuilt handle at the top. 

You had the Guard’s/Porters etc version with the long lever control that stopped you getting the yellow filter round to the front.  The signalman’s version had a smaller ’cross’ lever which could go right round.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There had been an intermediate block section at the bottom during the war.

The mind boggles.

A loco suffering wartime neglect stopped at the IB Home on wet rails trying restart a goods train overloaded because of the need for wartime supplies uphill from the sump.  Bad enough for the footplate crew with the loco creeping away in fits and starts, but the bloke in the van gets the benefit of all their smoke.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

You had the Guard’s/Porters etc version with the long lever control that stopped you getting the yellow filter round to the front.  The signalman’s version had a smaller ’cross’ lever which could go right round.

Paul.

That's right.  The signalmans' version could show a yellow aspect as well as the red and green.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The mind boggles.

A loco suffering wartime neglect stopped at the IB Home on wet rails trying restart a goods train overloaded because of the need for wartime supplies uphill from the sump.  Bad enough for the footplate crew with the loco creeping away in fits and starts, but the bloke in the van gets the benefit of all their smoke.

Yeah, by all accounts it could be pretty bad down there; it wasn't exactly healthy in my day with the diesel fumes.  I've certainly heard stories of loco crew having to try to breathe from the edge of the fall plate for better air.  A GW brake van with the door shut was probably solid enough to keep the worst of it out (they were double skinned, our BR standard and LMS-type vans would have been hopeless).  The Tunnel was pretty well ventilated (you can see the fan house at Portskewett from the M4 Severn Crossing) and it was always blowing a gale down there, just to add to the general hellish drama of the place.  Water ingress from the estuary was considerable especially at high tides, and years of steam engine soot and diesel fumes meant that everything was covered in a black sulphuric slime that was acidic enough to sting your hands.  It was the increase in traffic during the war, especially the build up to the D-day landings and the logistics effort to supply the advancing armies in France, Belgium, Holland, and eventually Germany itself that had prompted the decision to put the IB down there in the first place; STJ was one of the major hubs of this traffic.  I heard stories of trains from Tidal or Long Dyke taking six hours to get as far as STJ, the crews being relieved and going home on the cushions, to book on the following day to relieve the same train, which had barely turned a wheel in the meantime beyond moving up in the queue on the permissive block, which started on the up relief at Magor and ran for about two miles to the actual junction.  We were warned on the induction course that it was not difficult to become completely disorientated down there.  It was unbelievably noisy even when there wasn't a train in the offing, wet, a freezing howling gale, and pitch black, and dangerous; the acidic slime made everything very slippery.

There were worse tunnels for smoke and fumes, though, and the single bore of Ledbury Tunnel had a particularly evil reputation, especially as up loaded coal trains had to climb through it.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There were worse tunnels for smoke and fumes, though, and the single bore of Ledbury Tunnel had a particularly evil reputation, especially as up loaded coal trains had to climb through it.

I’ve heard a few stories about Ledbury, how true they are I don’t know, but more than one of my railway friends has told me of what a harsh environment it is. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Matt37268 said:

I’ve heard a few stories about Ledbury, how true they are I don’t know, but more than one of my railway friends has told me of what a harsh environment it is. 

What you’ve heard is probably true, Matt; only the pre-electrification Woodhead had a worse reputation TTBOMK.  It was bad enough with diesel fumes; I cannot imagine what it must have been like with steam!

1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

I am enjoying this enormously. More please.

(But when do you get to the confessions about parties in the guards van with the Benny Hill-like scantily clad ladies?)

Patience, Padawan, they’re on their way; the thread isn’t titled ‘confessions’ for nothing!.  You don’t want to get to the juicy stuff too soon, though; it’ll be worth the wait, I promise…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

Many thanks Johnster for the latest instalment of this fascinating thread, I am in danger of being late for work this morning.

Back on page three (fnarr fnarr) I enjoyed the pictures of Ninian Park posted by Halvarras, which helped illustrate the thread, and brought out more anecdotes and information. I took photos from about 1978 and some were of locations mentioned so far. I can find some photos that include freight working, and some with brake vans. Do you mind if I add a few, especially some that show details of the yards mentioned?

cheers  

• Like 3

The pumping station (with the original pumps removed) is a Grade II listed building.  We got there once on a railtour.

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/300024002-sudbrook-pump-house-portskewett

On the opposite side of the main lines, the old MoD branch to Caerwent was lifted, but it got relaid by IIRC the Territorials and later still lifted again, I believe the rails went to the Gwili Rly.  I liked the way the branch was shown on the 1" OS maps as running to and across the A48 but stopped immediately after that bridge (the camp gates).  The camp was a large ammunition dump for the US military, and we often heard helicopter operations at night, it was rumoured the SAS were doing training exercises in the woods around there.  There are proposals to use the route as a cycle path

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/20205768.cycle-path-plan-disused-railway-line/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Many thanks Johnster for the latest instalment of this fascinating thread, I am in danger of being late for work this morning.

Back on page three (fnarr fnarr) I enjoyed the pictures of Ninian Park posted by Halvarras, which helped illustrate the thread, and brought out more anecdotes and information. I took photos from about 1978 and some were of locations mentioned so far. I can find some photos that include freight working, and some with brake vans. Do you mind if I add a few, especially some that show details of the yards mentioned?

cheers  

Glad you are enjoying it, Kevin; I’d be delighted if you added relevant photos, the more the merrier.  I sometimes take for granted that, because I knew where and what these places were, everybody else does as well, and of course some of them were backwaters at the time, not known much outside the job, and have vanished under redevelopments and roads long ago.  Even the mighty Canton is a decaying ghost now.  Photos will help folk understand my ramblings, and trigger more memories as well!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Johnster, you have a flair for narrative. Your description of the fishing expedition was vivid - I felt that I was there.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The thing that stuck in my mind about calling in Blaenant on the N&B was the way all the miners coming up from below were dressed in oilskins, it must have been a hell of a place to work.

Edited by Northroader
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I never saw this, indeed never went back there again by rail after the route learning week, they were all beavering away underground while the shunt was taking place.  Much of the surface installation was obscured by thick woodland, and apart from the modern processing plant/hopper, fed by an enclosed conveyor that emerged from the trees, you wouldn't have known there was a colliery there at all from railside, not what I was expecting!  Presumably Blaenant was a 'wet' pit, as many in that area were.  What do you prefer, dust or mould, both will wreck your lungs...

For layout colliery surface working at Cwmdimbath, Dimbath Deep Navigation no.2, I work on an assumption that it takes a minimum of about an hour for coal won at the faces to emerge from the loading hoppers into the wagons under the washery loader.  It has to be moved, probably by dram but possibly by conveyor belt, from the galleries to pit bottom, raised one cage-full at a time, which must form a bit of a bottleneck, or put another way a reservoir of coal to raise for some time after the men have stopped working for breaks or at the end of their shift.  Similar bottleneck/reservoirs must build up at each processing stage on the surface as well; screening, grading, washing, and loading.  So the last clearance of the day, leaving at 20.45 in the evening, allows for a reservoir of coal to be brought to the surface, which will keep the morning shift occupied during the hour or so after 06.00 while the men sign on, pick up their lamps, are caged down, make their way to the galleries, start working, and the new coal is brought up and processed. 

This leads to an initial flurry of shunting prior to the first clearance of the day at about 09.15, after which once the newly delivered empties are positioned, enables the railway side and weighbridge staff to have breakfast about 10.00 am, halfway through the shift.  How accurately this reflects prototypical colliery surface operations I am not sure, but it feels about right....

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2