Confessions of a Canton goods guard

John,

Before switching to a blog remember that there are people on here who don't bother with blogs - this was mentioned in a thread a few weeks back - can' remember which one.

So you will reduce your potential audience.

Dave

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

John,

Before switching to a blog remember that there are people on here who don't bother with blogs - this was mentioned in a thread a few weeks back - can' remember which one.

So you will reduce your potential audience.

Dave

Perhaps Johnster could switch to a blog anyway and leave the rest of us to argue here about whether that was the right thing to do.  That would keep the thread live for the foreseeable future and he could drop by with a link to new blog posts when they were ready.

BTW, there are signal diagrams of the area around Canton on the SRS site (e.g Penarth Curve North) but they may not be current for the period under discussion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

They won't be; North Curve itself was a single track (and a notorious bottleneck) in the 70s, and for some time after, but has been doubled, resulting in a much easier flow of traffic.  And Grangetown & Ely Paper Mill ground frames were taken out a long time ago, though I think the Taff Vale Sidings gf, which allowed entry to those sidings (behind the platform at Ninian Park, now used as stabling for P.W. self-propelled equipment) and an exit from that end of the carriage sidings, may still be there.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Perhaps Johnster could switch to a blog anyway and leave the rest of us to argue here about whether that was the right thing to do.  That would keep the thread live for the foreseeable future and he could drop by with a link to new blog posts when they were ready.

BTW, there are signal diagrams of the area around Canton on the SRS site (e.g Penarth Curve North) but they may not be current for the period under discussion.

Perhaps Johnster will indeed do that; it's a perfectly cromulent idea. 

Noooooo don't do a blog - I keep losing track, pretty please. Here, to help you make your mind up, here is a National Library of Scotland copy of an old OS (so permissible to use) showing some of the places highlighted in your reminiscences - only the central area as its taking ages to do the labels and then convert it into something this site will accept. I would have done a .jpg but the labels refuse to copy across.

Here goes:

Johnster's Cardiff 01.doc

Ferry Road and the Red House, plus the paper mill to follow.

Cheers,

Philip

(I hope the labels are attached - I don't have Word so can't open it myself to check!)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Philou said:

Noooooo don't do a blog - I keep losing track, pretty please. Here, to help you make your mind up, here is a National Library of Scotland copy of an old OS (so permissible to use) showing some of the places highlighted in your reminiscences - only the central area as its taking ages to do the labels and then convert it into something this site will accept. I would have done a .jpg but the labels refuse to copy across.

Here goes:

Johnster's Cardiff 01.doc 1.91 MB · 0 downloads

Ferry Road and the Red House, plus the paper mill to follow.

Cheers,

Philip

(I hope the labels are attached - I don't have Word so can't open it myself to check!)

Pssst - you can just post the url of the current view as a link.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

@The Johnster Ok, here's another OS - this time showing Ferry Road and the oil terminal siding - it's the continuation southwards of the first map. I've also marked up the Red House PH because even though it was painted green, it had a red navigation light attached to it (or if not physically attached, exceedingly close) and hence the 'Red' part of its name. At the time of young Johnster, I wouldn't go down there late at night and I had a car (Morris 1100)!

Johnster's Cardiff 02.doc

Cheers,

Philip

Paper Mill to follow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Off-topic as usual, but I was struck by the amount of land-reclamation when comparing the O.S. and Rail Map Online maps.  Sorry, I digress.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

See, now, what's happened here is that I wrote out a whole part 4 screed as a blog, describing the training course, and it's vanished; about an hours' writing up the spout.

Whenever I write more than a few lines for a post, I usually write it in a text document first. That way one has the original data in case things go pear-shaped on the forum.

HTH,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

Whenever I write more than a few lines for a post, I usually write it in a text document first. That way one has the original data in case things go pear-shaped on the forum.

Moreover, everything can be kept in one folder ready for forwarding to your publisher in due course ! 😎

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@The Johnster I didn't go down there at night due to the very long and dark, dark road (Ferry Road) full of potholes (as mentioned already) and little or no street lighting. Cardiff potholes were infamous and those in Ferry Road exceptional - I'm not so sure that a car or two weren't lost in some, never to be seen again!

Come daylight, it was a different world especially when the tide was in with great views over the docks and channel.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, yes, that makes sense.  Whole lorries disappeared without trace in the potholes on Collingdon Road; trouble was you couldn’t tell how deep the water was.  Cardiff road surfaces as as bad as they ever were, btw, and the drains just as blocked. 

• Funny 1

On 16/03/2023 at 00:56, The Johnster said:

opinion is a little divided about the blog scenario anyway, so my instinct is to continue with installments here, within my comfort zone where I know (or at least think I know) what I'm doing and where Philou & co. can access. 

Glad to hear it! 👍👍

On 16/03/2023 at 00:56, The Johnster said:

.... and it was blacker than the inside of a cow. 

How did you find this out?? 😳😱🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

Really enjoying your thread, sir! 👍

• Thanks 1

I am just catching up with this fascinating thread. Like Philou I consulted a map to see where we were going with the trip working. I already had a basic idea of the area, but found the OS 25 inch to the mile map(s) to be great to follow the moves.

My 30 year railway career was spent almost entirely behind a desk. I too was a railway enthusiast before I joined, and I too was fortunate to be able to learn from many experienced older railwaymen (and women). who were happy to pass on their knowledge and experience.

Edit - I like the quote

'I am enthusiastic about railways, but since that morning have never regarded myself as a railway enthusiast.  It's a difference of attitude, and difficult to explain quantitatively, but nonetheless genuine  and real.' 

That is a feeling that I too sometimes get, - it is hard to put into words.

Many thanks for taking the time to write up these memoirs,

cheers  

Edited by Rivercider
Added quote - and my reaction to it.
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

I am really looking forward to reading further installments of your thread and can only echo Rivercider's comments. I found Philou's maps most helpful in following your shunting movements. Cardiff is a long way from the SED, although towards the end of my 36 year career I did gain an intimate knowledge of the lines within Tremorfa and Castle Works along with the Imperial Cafe in Splott !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I got the impression (and I wasn't the only one) that one would have had to have been particularly dull to not pass out successfully, and that this was intentional.  Nevertheless, as we will see later, one or two pretty dopey characters did get through it and were a nuiscance and danger in the job afterwards. 

This seems to have been a very apt description of the Signalling School that I took at Ilford on joining the railways in the early 2000s.

There were written exams but everything had been throroughly covered by the instructor, often in duplicate, beforehand.

Having passed out on Absolute Block we all did a conversion course for Track Circuit Block.

The course lasted for one week and was tested by 20 multiple choice questions.

The answers were "accidentally" left lying around in the teaching room for the whole day before the exam whilst the instructor went for a fag break, had lunch etc.

It was so rigged that one of the leading lights of our party got 2 answers deliberately wrong to allay suspicions about its integrity!

I think that the pass level was 16 or 17 out of 20.

Similarly to the guard's course idiots sometimes got through but were soon found out in an everyday environment.

Keep up the good work Johnster it is good to get an insight into how things really were rather than as they were supposed to be.

Ian T

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

I am really looking forward to reading further installments of your thread and can only echo Rivercider's comments. I found Philou's maps most helpful in following your shunting movements. Cardiff is a long way from the SED, although towards the end of my 36 year career I did gain an intimate knowledge of the lines within Tremorfa and Castle Works along with the Imperial Cafe in Splott !

Tremorfa Works was not long built in those days, with the Dowlais (GKN East Moors) still in full production; Castle did not appear until much later.  Tremorfa will have a part to play in a later instalment.  This all related much more to 'over the dock', a world of pilot duties and far-flung sidings and wharves that we never penetrated much.  The pilot drivers were mostly 'green card' men who were not considered fit for main-line work; cardio-vascular problems, nerves, that sort of thing.  One once told me that he knew when he was off the road in some of the darker spots at night because the ride improved; it was a differnet world over there and in some ways still is.  I'm sure Philou will remember the flashes in the night sky from the foreshore when the molten slag was tipped into the Severn Estuary, accompanied by clouds of steam and an impressive roar that could easily be heard two miles away at our house in Roath Park.  Elemental stuff, Dante's inferno on your doorstep.

You'll be pleased to know that the Imperial is still going strong, and is one of my regular Saturday morning haunts for cheese on toast or a bacon & egg sarnie, and a muggatea.  Must be one of the oldest established businesses in Cardiff by now!  Sadly no longer with us is the Splott Park Road Cafe, an asbestos hut just the Tremorfa side of the railway bridge opposite the road entrance to Tidal Sidings, which always amused me with it's 'Closed For Lunch' notice; what sort of cafe closes for lunch (one that caters to shift workers in the local factories and Tremorfa Works, that's what sort)?

• Like 11

Oh yes, I do remember the bangs and flashes especially at night when there was rain threatening and clouds hung low in the sky - and there weren't sodium lights either in those days, we had low wattage tungsten ones (and not that many) in the street, and in our lane it was a gas light with an elegant swan-necked iron column, which the gas-lighter used to come just after sunset to pull one of the chains to switch it on - he'd be back in the morning to switch it off, but before I was up. They replaced him with a clock that turned the gas on and off only to have that replaced shortly by an inelegant Stanton and Staveley concete post with a low pressure mercury bulb - as an older child though I did appreciate the modernity of it at the time.

At about the same time, I did go to the foreshore to see the slag being tipped onto the foreshore - not only HOT but mighty impressive! I don't remember the caff, I should do as the park was a haunt of ours during lunchtimes as our skool was just the Splott side of the railway line - p'raps because it was shut at lunchtime!

C'mon @The Johnster, you haven't told 'em why the East Moors Steelworks was also known as the Dowlais Works (I know, but you can tell them in another installment). Do you want a plan with that, sir? I can do one tomoz if you like, bed is calling at the moment.

Toodle pip

• Like 8