The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

I like the 'frequently bought together' option. 4 buckjumpers! Sorry, not going to fall for that, but nice try! 😁🥰

You’d be surprised :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 26power said:

A pretty immediate thought was that Iain Rice would love this; I vaguely recall reading a MRJ article by him about the intricacies of the class.  It is therefore good to see in the class history piece that he had some input in to the development of these models.

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/a-bevy-of-buckjumpers-holden-s-r24-and-s56-classes-lner-j67-j69-and-hill-c72-class-lner-j68

The definitive article on Buckjumpers was penned by Iain Rice in MRJ 35 which was a classic issue all round in fact. Articles by John Charman, Paul Berntsen, Frank Dyer, Chris Matthewman, Allan Sibley, Roger Marsh and, as remarked, Iain Rice. Quite a cast list!

Excellent choice Accurascale!

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

A few things to mention:

1. I find it weird to call 68619 "Liverpool St Shed Pet" as I believe it should be "Stratford Shed Pet" or "Liverpool St Pilot" or both. Liverpool St wasn't a shed.

2. Could you clarify on 68535's class? Product name says J67 but product description says J69.

3. In 68535's description, Dundee's shed code should be 62B, not 32B.

Toby, let me get Ally Pally out of the way, and then I'll answer you properly, but in the interim I'll address your first point.

To me, when I write, I try to convey a sense of purpose. A shed pet is (in my opinion) a locomotive favoured by the shed staff and given special treatment, but yet one that can allocated anywhere. 68619 was maintained in its faux-GER livery for sole use as the Liverpool Street Pilot (along with N7 69614) and was maintained in this condition not just by the Shed, but by the crews as well. Therefore, I combined the two parts of this into a single description. Others may have their own descriptions for such use, and you are welcome to use whatever description you feel comfortable with.

All the best,

Paul.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

3. In 68535's description, Dundee's shed code should be 62B, not 32B.

Purely a typo @toby_tl10- as you can see from the artwork, the Shed code is correctly shown as 62B on the smokebox door.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Definitely the shed pet.

I wonder why it wasn’t saved ?

I read somewhere in a biography of a Great Eastern shedmaster that it was withdrawn due to being sorely in need of an overhaul, struggling to climb the bank out of Liverpool St.   The shed staff did their best to keep it going but had to call a halt.    I will hunt out chapter and verse when I get a spare fortnight.    

Any word on the chassis,   I could use a 4ft ish wheeled chassis but "Coreless" sort of reminds me of the Oxford Dean and I'm replacing my Oxford Dean chassis with a K's chassis so it will pull trains without overheating.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Actually, one of these would look great, much weathered and generally beaten about (by Col. Stephens or his lookalike), to serve on some outrageously improbable light railway in Mid Wales, so I think I shall be getting one 😄

Those that went to the WD (13, j69s and 1 j68) were later sold to industry with at least 1 ending up in Wales.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, DCB said:

Any word on the chassis,   I could use a 4ft ish wheeled chassis but "Coreless" sort of reminds me of the Oxford Dean and I'm replacing my Oxford Dean chassis with a K's chassis so it will pull trains without overheating.

Coreless motors work alright in other models on the market, in fact I would argue they are better than Iron Core motors from the point of torque. Rapido have used Coreless in their recent Hunslet and Bachmann have been using them in their more recent locos. Personally I’ve never had one overheat but as Accurascale have specified it will be able to move a train of at least 1Kg on a 3% gradient it should be more than capable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, McC said:

You're telling us! 2+ years of research to date and more tooling than the Deltic! 

Well done to Accurascale for taking this on despite all the variations. Hopefully they are looking at the U class, the current big 'missing link' for Southern modellers, where the complexity of variations has often been quoted as a reason why this has never been tackled.

Edited by prtrainman
typo correction
  • Like 3

Looks like this little chap will be retiring! 3D print on old Terrier chassis, same number too!

2008843315_J68NLR005.JPG.7e43cec75fdd543398c826e21c06649d.JPG

The two BR examples have been pre-ordered from Hattons, still tempted by 68619!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

P.S. Mr Isles, your next release of the E4 2.4.0 will complement these beautifully!

• Like 5

As Iain Rice was a "consultant", hopefully it will be an accurate model but the knowledgeable here on RMWeb will soon point out any errors.

Iain produced his own etched kits for the J68 and J69 (as well as the J65), under the Riceworks label. Iain was one of those who, if he wanted to model something, didn't just sit on his hands like so many people, but took the steps to create what he wanted. His kits are still available from London Road Models. Wills (later South East Finecast) also produced a kit for the J67/J69 but presumably it didn't fit Iain's requirements.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

As Iain Rice was a "consultant", hopefully it will be an accurate model but the knowledgeable here on RMWeb will soon point out any errors.

Iain produced his own etched kits for the J68 and J69 (as well as the J65), under the Riceworks label. Iain was one of those who, if he wanted to model something, didn't just sit on his hands like so many people, but took the steps to create what he wanted. His kits are still available from London Road Models. Wills (later South East Finecast) also produced a kit for the J67/J69 but presumably it didn't fit Iain's requirements.

First kit I bought from LRM was an ex-Riceworks J69. I have no doubt I'll buy the odd other one or two.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Coreless motors work alright in other models on the market, in fact I would argue they are better than Iron Core motors from the point of torque. Rapido have used Coreless in their recent Hunslet and Bachmann have been using them in their more recent locos. Personally I’ve never had one overheat but as Accurascale have specified it will be able to move a train of at least 1Kg on a 3% gradient it should be more than capable.

Without having to have the whole debate all over again, unless a coreless motor has been woefully under specified, it won't overheat if one uses the right type of controller.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Now all of us GER fans need is a F5 or F6.

Plus an E4, a J17 and a J20.  And some 52’6 corridor stock.  And an East Anglian 05. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

recently promised myself to slow down on loco purchases but saw the announcement for these on the way home from work last night and had preordered the liverpool lime st pet loco within an hour or two... needless to say i'm very much looking foward to these

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Islesy said:

... but yet one that can allocated anywhere. 68619 was maintained in its faux-GER livery for sole use as the Liverpool Street Pilot ...

... though its successor was known to wander : - 

539_23.jpg.2c93e17a3c74e8a765a464cf4f07c30e.jpg

Kings Cross : 17/8/91 .......................... 31.544 looks to be even further from home !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 45568 said:

Looks like this little chap will be retiring! 3D print on old Terrier chassis, same number too!

2008843315_J68NLR005.JPG.7e43cec75fdd543398c826e21c06649d.JPG

The two BR examples have been pre-ordered from Hattons, still tempted by 68619!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

P.S. Mr Isles, your next release of the E4 2.4.0 will complement these beautifully!

Best get it on the market then before the Accuracale models dilute your market Peter !!!!

I think you misunderstood Mr Isles production.  He is doing the LMS "Austin seven"  next for the powering Britain series.  Dead easy one class of locos which were (probably) all the same. Any colour you want as long as it is black, and either LMS or BR crests on the tender. That  will be a a break for Paul before tackling the Highland Bens  !!!!   

• Like 4