The J67/68/69 ‘Buckjumper’, By Accurascale

Dropped £140 for the DCC ready version of 68619. I can't wait till it arrives later this year.

I honestly would've gotten the DCC sound fitted version but I don't have any of the relevant gear to run it.

Also sidenote, 68619's artwork on the page is absolutely stunning - If anyone's got photos of it, did it always look that great?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RailwayModeller927 said:

Dropped £140 for the DCC ready version of 68619. I can't wait till it arrives later this year.

I honestly would've gotten the DCC sound fitted version but I don't have any of the relevant gear to run it.

Also sidenote, 68619's artwork on the page is absolutely stunning - If anyone's got photos of it, did it always look that great?

Looked even better at one point. It was lined black!

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p589560953/e4944cacd

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p620923510/ee93cc3fe

However it was just bog standard black until the mid 1950s, before it became one of the station pilots.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p589560953/ee2e5fc09

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

However it was just bog standard black until the mid 1950s, before it became one of the station pilots.

Jason

Cheers, I might have a new favourite livery now thanks to these photos.

• Like 1

Might be worth keeping an eye on your wallets this week... spoke to Accurascale today about my payment for the exclusive LNER J68 7027 and they've confirmed the £139.99 will be coming out of my bank account on Thursday.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

On 14/03/2024 at 06:02, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Even better than lined black? A candidate for another Accurascale exclusive........

image.png.de9e662c7368b4c42ca09dad6dc7b5d0.png

Edited by Ventnor
Text added.
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Might be worth keeping an eye on your wallets this week... spoke to Accurascale today about my payment for the exclusive LNER J68 7027 and they've confirmed the £139.99 will be coming out of my bank account on Thursday.

Yes, I can see payment is due for my GER examples on the 29th March. 

Braced. 

Rob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ventnor said:

Even better than lined black? A candidate for another Accurascale exclusive........

Yes, thats the one I am  waiting for too.  Hope it comes in the next batch.

10 hours ago, Ventnor said:

• Agree 1

I had posted this last night and then deleted it in fear I was mistaken in questioning it, but I'm surprised that payment is being taken when we haven't even had decorated livery samples yet? Usually it's pay up front on ordering, or pay when the item is available, right? 

(I'm not actually complaining, I have too many pre-orders due to land at once so paying one off early benefits me!)

- James

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

I had posted this last night and then deleted it in fear I was mistaken in questioning it, but I'm surprised that payment is being taken when we haven't even had decorated livery samples yet? Usually it's pay up front on ordering, or pay when the item is available, right? 

(I'm not actually complaining, I have too many pre-orders due to land at once so paying one off early benefits me!)

- James

No payment has been taken or is due, until the goods are ready to ship, so for any concerns - do reach out to support

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/10/2023 at 00:38, Accurascale said:

7027 was also the pioneer locomotive for the trial fitting of grease lubrication to the coupling pins and connecting rods in 1936.

Just whilst I happen to be here with the green book open checking notes on 7027 to see if it's suitable for a friend, going by Locomotives of the LNER Part 8A the grease lubrication to the rods and big end occurred in September 1931, as to removal the book only states "Later all 5* engines reverted to normal." The vacuum ejector and associated piping was what was fitted in 1936, noted as being done so 7/36.

Hopefully some help for those looking to date the model a little better, and in no way trying to be accusatory of forgetting info.

*7044/7045/7046/7049 noted as being so fitted in 1934.

• Like 1

Well it's Q2 so we can count down the days... greatly looking forward to what looks like being a GE masterpiece!

My only slight worry is the coreless motor. My only other loco with a coreless motor is my Rapido J70 which was disappointing when slow running on conventional DC (and being coreless couldn't of course be helped by my usual tactic of a feedback controller). Coreless motors have also been noted as a problem in other loco reviews. What is the reason for using a coreless motor and if It isn't great are there easy ways of fitting an alternative? (Genuine technical question - not criticising that choice if it works!)

I don't want to get obsessive about this but when you are running light railways you need something that can really crawl. Why 00 gauge shunting locos and light railway engines are sometimes geared for a scale 80mph is beyond me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, fezza said:

Well it's Q2 so we can count down the days... greatly looking forward to what looks like being a GE masterpiece!

My only slight worry is the coreless motor. My only other loco with a coreless motor is my Rapido J70 which was disappointing when slow running on conventional DC (and being coreless couldn't of course be helped by my usual tactic of a feedback controller). Coreless motors have also been noted as a problem in other loco reviews. What is the reason for using a coreless motor and if It isn't great are there easy ways of fitting an alternative? (Genuine technical question - not criticising that choice if it works!)

I don't want to get obsessive about this but when you are running light railways you need something that can really crawl. Why 00 gauge shunting locos and light railway engines are sometimes geared for a scale 80mph is beyond me...

Totally agree. It's a good time to be modelling things Great Eastern . 

As an aside, your J70 should be creepy crawly on DC. All three of mine were before I fitted decoders. 

Is yours skirted or unskirted ? 

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2024 at 00:49, Ventnor said:

Brings back memories of Wallsea (January 1977 Railway Modeller).

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Totally agree. It's a good time to be modelling things Great Eastern . 

As an aside, your J70 should be creepy crawly on DC. All three of mine were before I fitted decoders. 

Is yours skirted or unskirted ? 

Rob

Both mine were skirted BR versions. I sold one as I got frustrated with fiddling with it! The other runs better but after lots of running in it is a bit sticky at a crawl in one direction and occasionally stalls on gradients or with heavyish loads. Compared to my ancient but sweet running Mainline J72, the J70 doesn't seem to represent 40 years of progress. Of course, that's not to say the Buckjumper will be the same, bit it is a worry given some review comments on coreless issues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fezza said:

Both mine were skirted BR versions. I sold one as I got frustrated with fiddling with it! The other runs better but after lots of running in it is a bit sticky at a crawl in one direction and occasionally stalls on gradients or with heavyish loads. Compared to my ancient but sweet running Mainline J72, the J70 doesn't seem to represent 40 years of progress. Of course, that's not to say the Buckjumper will be the same, bit it is a worry given some review comments on coreless issues.

Just out of interest, check the inside of the skirts. I've seen a few which run poorly and it's down to the skirts making contact with the connecting rods as they rotate. The skirts are easily squeezed in when handling these little chaps. 

Easy to identify if this is the issue as you will, on turning little chap upside down, see a circular or semi circular mark on the insude of the skirt,  consistent with the rotatoon of the eccentric return crank  joint thingy on the connecting rod. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Just out of interest, check the inside of the skirts. I've seen a few which run poorly and it's down to the skirts making contact with the connecting rods as they rotate. The skirts are easily squeezed in when handling these little chaps. 

Easy to identify if this is the issue as you will, on turning little chap upside down, see a circular or semi circular mark on the insude of the skirt,  consistent with the rotatoon of the eccentric return crank  joint thingy on the connecting rod. 

Rob

Actually that does seem to have improved running. Thanks! It's not perfect, but certainly better. I suppose that's the problem with assessing running issues - there are sometimes several issues that you have to diagnose. It makes me a bit more comfortable with buying locos with coreless motors though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, fezza said:

In my experience contemporary coreless motors and good contemporary DC controllers rarely have compatibility problems. When the controller is a very basic model like the Hornby trainset types or old like H&M duettes, or feedback types poor running can occur. 
I use a Gaugemaster W controller and get excellent running with both coreless and regular/can motors. The Gaugemaster HH for example specifically mentions that it’s not to be used with coreless IIRC.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I’m looking forward to adding the Scottish variant to my collection!

Although judging from the fact that we haven’t seen decorated samples yet I’d imagine that Q2 is more likely going to be Q4.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I’m looking forward to adding the Scottish variant to my collection!

Although judging from the fact that we haven’t seen decorated samples yet I’d imagine that Q2 is more likely going to be Q4.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I guess my J72 is going to remain in service for the Summer timetable (well, it was good enough for Iain Rice...)

I'm running a Gaugemaster Combi (non feedback) which should be ok for coreless?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, fezza said:

Compared to my ancient but sweet running Mainline J72, the J70 doesn't seem to represent 40 years of progress.

Couldn't agree more, my suspicion is that these modern coreless motors are somehow designed with DCC in mind, rather than us dinosaurs who so inconveniently insist on sticking with DC...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fezza said:

It makes me a bit more comfortable with buying locos with coreless motors though.

I had a bad experience with the running on my Rapido Hunslet 0-6-0ST and in the end, it went back to the retailer and I declined to take a chance on another one.

Yet now, having seen a friend's example running very sweetly on a normal Gaugemaster DC panel-mounted controller, I am wondering if I should give it another go.

But probably not unless I can be 100% sure of picking up a really good runner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, PMP said:

In my experience contemporary coreless motors and good contemporary DC controllers rarely have compatibility problems. When the controller is a very basic model like the Hornby trainset types or old like H&M duettes, or feedback types poor running can occur. 
I use a Gaugemaster W controller and get excellent running with both coreless and regular/can motors. The Gaugemaster HH for example specifically mentions that it’s not to be used with coreless IIRC.

I must have been very unlucky, Paul!

But in my experience, not every manufacturer, when asked on this forum whether the loco has a coreless or cored motor, is able to answer the question...

As for the Gaugemaster HH, that (together with my AMR slow-speed hand-held controller) has been a saving grace in terms of one or two of my locos with cored motors, which run noticeable better with it. These days, I have at least a feedback and non-feedback controller handy for any exhibition or home running session.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Changed 'retailer' for 'manufacturer', my original error.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, fezza said:

My only other loco with a coreless motor is my Rapido J70 which was disappointing when slow running on conventional DC

Oddly enough, my J70 ran fairly well, although I didn't realise it was a coreless motor when I owned it.

What sealed it's fate, though, was that the back-to-backs were set at 15mm, not 14.5mm and it wouldn't go through the OO-SF part of my layout. It ended up in a parcel of other items being sent to Hattons...

• Friendly/supportive 1