The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cornwall is loose

woodenhead

Constant flexing along the border with Devon must mean two large bridges in the Saltash area are in imminent danger of collapsing into the Tamar then😮!

Regarding opening up a proper gap, the boats would have an easier job if the top of the Tamar were excavated out to the north coast, creating a sort of Cornish version of Anglesey........

30 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Regarding opening up a proper gap, the boats would have an easier job if the top of the Tamar were excavated out to the north coast, creating a sort of Cornish version of Anglesey........

Good lord NO!  One Anglesey is enough!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Well, as long as it does not float over here. 🙂

You'd be missing out on great beaches, the Eden Project, award-winning pasties and fish & chips (there doesn't seem to be any other kind 🤔), cream teas (with the cream on top where it belongs of course), Tribute/Korev/Doom Bar/Proper Job/Rattler, clotted cream and star-gazey pie (see above).........on second thoughts scrub the last one (I'm with @Steamport Southport on that 🤢!) 

And more pasties, can never have too many pasties.....

We also have such fantastic weather that Cornwall appears to be the only part of the UK still under last August's drought order (hosepipe ban). Yes seriously!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The height of Cornwall is fixed - the Ordnance Survey height datum for the whole of Britain is the tidal observatory in Newlyn. If anything moves, it must be the rest of Britain relative to Cornwall.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

We also have such fantastic weather that Cornwall appears to be the only part of the UK still under last August's drought order (hosepipe ban). Yes seriously!

Nope - Devon got drought-designated last week.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Didn't you know that all the guys who used to work in the tin mines

are busy digging through from the Tamar to the North Coast.

When they are nearly there, a secret message will go out,

all the Cornish exiles will return, the last bit will be dug through,

the country of Cornwall will float away, and as it does,

all the incomers will be pushed off Lands End. :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Nope - Devon got drought-designated last week.

CJI.

Missed that, but it was only last week. At least that means Devonians had a chance to jet-wash the winter grime off their patio paving, which is more than I've been permitted to do. If it has to wait another year its fetching shade of beige will probably become permanently discoloured. I have a 'Spray & Leave' product which may help but......er......it requires decent rainfall to wash it off once it's done its thing.........well, it is what it is.

31 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

Missed that, but it was only last week. At least that means Devonians had a chance to jet-wash the winter grime off their patio paving, which is more than I've been permitted to do. If it has to wait another year its fetching shade of beige will probably become permanently discoloured. I have a 'Spray & Leave' product which may help but......er......it requires decent rainfall to wash it off once it's done its thing.........well, it is what it is.

Sprayed and Left all our paving slabs last week - pristine now after a moderate shower.

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Technically known as Emmets, ISTR.

Iwas going to use the term emmet, but wasn't sure how many of the wider audience would know the term.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, rab said:

Iwas going to use the term emmet, but wasn't sure how many of the wider audience would know the term.

Besides, your side of the Tamar, we become Grockles, I think. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Stop whingeing about the sun shining.  Some people live in Wales, Scotland or worse still Manchester.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If Brunel had built a suspension bridge insteead of the tubular one, the cables would be a sort of mooring rope to stop Cornwall floating off.

Don't forget the chains on the Torpoint Ferry that keeps Cornwall moored to Devon.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Cornwall eh, I worked on the Eden Project for a couple of months prior to opening and loved the area, lodged at the Ship inn at Mevagissey week on/week off...very basic but a good laugh in the evenings...some local sort used to shout obcenities at passing cars outside our bedroom in the small hours and so on.

If you go there and have any food it'll perhaps through my (and 3 others) endeavours putting a load of walk in coldrooms and one blast freezer in...not sure why they wanted the BF to be honest.

Haven't been back since, always makes me laugh as we were told it was an MOD project to move important plants and stuff from Kew Gardens for some reason and the penny only dropped when we saw the newly erected brown tourist signs as we approached site...we did get involved in some weird stuff back then to be fair, even my boss fell for it until we told him on arrival.

On the flip side, for reasons I cannot fathom my aunt moved to some remote village down there years ago, perhaps because my uncle sailed out of Plymouth as part of the RN for many years although he was far from being a native...anyway she's in her late 80's now, last year fell over in the street and was walked past by people she recognised as being neighbours as such but offered no assistance or even conversation until an ambulance arrived 3 hours later.

She now wants to move back to Southampton as she's never been made to feel welcome despite moving there in 1987...she's quite down to earth too so I'm wondering what sort of place it must be?

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Anecdotally, Cornwall is England's poorest county, lacking much industry or other real employment  beyond the hospitality sector - itself in tatters since Covid forced so many to seek other ways of paying their bills. 

But it is full of comfortably-off retired incomers, who have bought up the housing stock, gentrified it and in so doing rendered the place impossible for youngsters to afford to live there. 

As a holiday destination, it still has enormous attractions, just as it did when my parents - then unmarried - 'discovered' Port Isaac and made it their holiday residence when dad was on leave from the RN during the Hitler war. That particular village, aka Port Wenn in Doc Martin, has benefitted enormously in investment and gentrification, but at quite some cost to the place I first knew in the '50s. Be careful what you wish for, indeed.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1