The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cornwall is loose

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Thread drift is.

But that took a turn from tidal ground deformation effects.

A similar effect is isostatic rebound (post-glacial rebound / post-glacial isostatic adjustment).  This is observable around the great lakes as the surface continues to rebound after being compressed by glaciers during the last ice age. It will have an impact with climate change ocean levels as currently glaciated surfaces (Greenland / Antarctica) rebound when the glaciers melt.

Doesn't post glacial rebound mean Scotland's rising and the south of England is sinking?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

22 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Yes Padstow is not like it used to be 25 odd years ago when we first stated holidaying down that way. Anyone remember the railway bookshop?

Loads of popular places are not what they use to be.
I first visited Mousehole (where I now live) in 1963, visited loads of times since, including my honeymoon in 1969 and been resident for ever it seems.   It started to change it's character in the late 70's, slowly, but changed, mind you a lot of that were locals selling up rickity premises that needed loads of ££,£££'s spending on them to unsuspecting incomers etc., the locals buying very nice places not that far away, but outside the Village.
My wife and I popped over to St. Ives recently, never again she said, it's changed that much in the last 5+ years.
We still have around 450 people on the electoral register in the Village, but they are seldom seen as they are working etc.,  Mind you when there's a local event (not carnivals etc.,) then there's a good crowd of locals attending, though complaints from AirB&B's about the late night noises 😎
And....  Yes I remember the railway bookshop in Padstow, but oh, I had forgotten that one. 
Padstein is it's current name.
A couple of Village places have advance, refundable deposits too, don't blame them at all, my wife and I attended a social dinner in one of the fully booked restraunts one evening, we wondered why the place was only around a 1/3 full, no shows - they then introduced the refundable deposit a couple of weeks later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We used to go to St Ives a lot on holiday up to about 15 years ago when the kids were little. Just so child unfriendly, crowded, no space etc. A shame, because the little run up the estuary from Lelant park and ride was very enjoyable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK here goes.

We holidayed by caravan in the 2000s stayed mainly in a relatives garden.

After selling it (storage is horrific) we rented a property, it was nice.

Looked at recent prices as not been back in a while. Cannot afford out of season now.

Last time we did Falmouth we could see tyhhe change, pay toilets, new expensive eating places,

A place near the rental property used to do really nice, sensible priced real food, was onto expensive seafood last time. That almost ruined the holiday.

Luckily I like pasties.

Local farms were shutting and changing farm buildings to premium priced accomdation.

Only reason my cousin got a place was a locals only covenant.

Whole county is being rejigged to rich Londoners and stuff everyone else (inclduding locals and normal holiday makers).

I do love the Helford area. Can't afford it anymore, could get 10 weeks on the Welsh coast for 1 week there.

And both parents were Cornish.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'm definitely not going to St Ives.

Far too many cats and wives....  

As I was going to St. Ives,

I met a man with seven wives,

Each wife had seven sacks,

Each sack had seven cats,

Each cat had seven kits:

Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,

How many were there going to St. Ives?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Each cat had seven kits:

Where were they all staying?  I wouldn't want to be next door to so many cat women!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You don't actually have to cross the Tamar to get them.  Cornwall exports them to England.

Devon also make oggies, it's not just a Cornish speciality. The style of crimping the pastry is the way to tell which side of the Tamar they are made, a bit like putting the cream on first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Each cat had seven kits:

(adopts irritating adenoidal pedant accent) I think you’ll find that this particular piece of doggerel is written about the other St.Ives, the one in Cambridgeshire… 

I make it 409, btw. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The pace of Sir William Wallace's sojourn south of the border was hardly glacial.

The only time I know of when Wallace went south into England was after his capture, on the way to London for execution. 

(Bruce, on the other hand …)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

(adopts irritating adenoidal pedant accent) I think you’ll find that this particular piece of doggerel is written about the other St.Ives, the one in Cambridgeshire… 

I make it 409, btw. 

So they have seven wives as well?

Odd lot those country folk. All a bit too much Royston Vasey if you ask me....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It could. Makes me wonder!

According to Wikipedia (so make of it what you will, but it corresponds with something I vaguely recall hearing elsewhere):

"In Great Britain, glaciation affected Scotland but not southern England, and the post-glacial rebound of northern Great Britain (up to 10 cm per century) is causing a corresponding downward movement of the southern half of the island (up to 5 cm per century)."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reorte said:

Doesn't post glacial rebound mean Scotland's rising and the south of England is sinking?

It was part of my School Geography course, back in the 50/60s.  It was also a personal experience, working in the London Custom House, in the 80s, where the Spring Tides would attempt to encroach over the top of the quay sides - and succeeded a few times, despite the efforts of the Thames Barrier, to reduce the inward flow of the  tides.  That same quay side had enabled customs Officers to walk down gangplanks onto the decks of merchant ships, to check the cargos - whatever the tides.  That constitutes a very significant sinking of the South East of the UK, because of the removal of the huge covering of ice experienced in Scotland, during the Ice Age.  The English Channel has also gone from a marshy place to a major seaway for commercial shipping.

Clearly the UK is moving with the times.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I make it 409, btw. 

A few more than that .

If everyone mentioned in the riddle were bound for St Ives, then the number would be 2,802:

the narrator,the man and his seven wives, 49 sacks, 343 cats, and 2,401 kits.

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

The English Channel has also gone from a marshy place to a major seaway for commercial shipping.

I thought there was evidence of erosion of the Calais-Dover chalk during a massive ancient 'spillover' of a southern north sea proglacial lake through the Dover Strait.

This sort of thing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You don't actually have to cross the Tamar to get them.  Cornwall exports them to England.

Tesco near work has replaced its hot pasty stand with costa junk

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So they have seven wives as well?

Odd lot those country folk. All a bit too much Royston Vasey if you ask me....

My numeracy skills were never up to much, and it is usually best to assume that I am wrong.  Using a calculator, I can be wrong to  several decimal places…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

The first line .

Nowhere does it say the others that were also going to St Ives .

So using that statement the answer is 1.

Good point!  Our narrator met the man with seven wives, who were allegedly in possession of a certain number of sacks containing felines of at least two separate generations that were not necessarily present at the meeting.  And a meeting implies that the man with seven wives must have been travelling in a direction other than towards St.Ives.  

As the rhyme asks how many kits, cats, sacks, and wives were there going to St.Ives, and the presence at the meeting of said kits, cats, sacks, and wives is moot, we can only state that the narrator is confirmed as going to St.Ives at the time of the meeting with the other man, who cannot have met the man who was going to St.Ives unless he was not going to St.Ives.  And because the rhyme only specifically asks about the number of kits, cats, sacks (specifically those containing the specific kits and cats referred to, as we are not party to possible information about other non-specific sack which may or may not have contained a number of kits or cats that actually might have been heading for St Ives from other directions at the moment in time mentioned in the rhyme), viz  ‘Kits, cats, sacks, and wives/how many were there going to S.Ives, the correct number going to St.Ives is none, since the rhyme does not ask about the original man going to St.Ives, the other man is coming from a different direction and cannot be going to St.Ives at this time, and rest are not there.

Keeping ip at the back, are we?

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Good point!  Our narrator met the man with seven wives, who were allegedly in possession of a certain number of sacks containing felines of at least two separate generations that were not necessarily present at the meeting.  And a meeting implies that the man with seven wives must have been travelling in a direction other than towards St.Ives.  

As the rhyme asks how many kits, cats, sacks, and wives were there going to St.Ives, and the presence at the meeting of said kits, cats, sacks, and wives is moot, we can only state that the narrator is confirmed as going to St.Ives at the time of the meeting with the other man, who cannot have met the man who was going to St.Ives unless he was not going to St.Ives.  And because the rhyme only specifically asks about the number of kits, cats, sacks (specifically those containing the specific kits and cats referred to, as we are not party to possible information about other non-specific sack which may or may not have contained a number of kits or cats that actually might have been heading for St Ives from other directions at the moment in time mentioned in the rhyme), viz  ‘Kits, cats, sacks, and wives/how many were there going to S.Ives, the correct number going to St.Ives is none, since the rhyme does not ask about the original man going to St.Ives, the other man is coming from a different direction and cannot be going to St.Ives at this time, and rest are not there.

Keeping ip at the back, are we?

Its all a load of Uncle Tom Cobley'n all!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1