The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you WTF!?!

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Its not quite new, it was reported that during WW1, British machine gunners would boil water for mugs of tea by firing off a couple of belts of ammo through their Vickers machine guns.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm the registered 'owner' for a club domain name. Earlier in the year they contacted me because there has been a change in law that a business number has to be included.

Now at the time we took it out, there was a different requirement in place, which is still there. Now to change a single line on our registration (of which I have no problem in supplying the revised information).

What I do object to is the price to be charged. It is the same price as applying for a new domain, to change a single box - an 11 digit number.

This amount is equivalent to 4 1/2 years worth of renewals of the domain name. I emailed the company to ask for assistance to change it and was told that the full amount applies. So I have ignored it - they emailed me and phoned a couple of times and I ignored them.

Now they are saying that my credit card details are 'about to expire'. Well, I checked the CC and it finishes up at the end of October, and since I've not received a replacement card yet, so cannot update the details anyway.

Next, I checked what the date is for when the domain name is actually due for renewal and it's in June 2024!
So it's 9 months away, what's wrong with these people, I could be dead by then, or not associated with the club anymore. They can wait until May next year, or maybe will change domain name hosts.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@kevinlms - domain name registration is a great cashcow. Some of the less-caring registration hosts/providers are always looking for new and cunning ways to squeeze a little extra cash out of the cashcow. Especially when they think you are a business that would treat domain name registration as a petty-cash item. Conflate this with dysfunctional systems and you get customers (like us) banging their heads on their desks and screaming WTF. Clubs and social groups are a great example. Most of these "service providers" have a really hard time understanding (a) it's not an individual and (b) it's not a business either!

It might be easier to transfer your domain to another host?

That reminds me  - it's the same with financial services - I've seen a few posts here on RMWeb from secretaries of clubs that have fallen foul of their banks changing the rules.

Examples?

1) there's no local branch anymore, so you can't walk in with cheques from older members (because that's the way they always paid). So you have to post them (the cheques, not the older members), - not forgetting to pay extra to send them Recorded Delivery, 'cos you just know they will get lost if you send them by normal post. Then get charged extortionate amounts for clearing the cheques. WTF? 🤬

2) you try moving with the times and try to get credit card / debit card processing. You think (because you've got history with them) your existing bank will be happy to help you. First gotcha from "existing bank" - "ah you will need a "Merchant Account". OK, let's try registering for one of those ...

• Company name
  • Company registration number
  • VAT registration number

WTF? 🤬

Best "get out of jail free" tactic I've found is to register with Sumup or SquareUp, get one of their little Bluetooth terminals that pairs with a phone app. They are happy with sole-traders and individuals.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'm probably going to change, for the reasons you describe, BUT our current registration still has until June 2024 to run, so if I change now, I reckon that there will be Buckley's chance of a proportional refund!

The other thing domain sellers do is invent new ranges, a recent example in Australia is .au  which they try hard to sell to .com.au or org.au owners - so no one else can take it! No, not falling for that racket.

We do have community banks and credit unions in Australia, that actually have in their constitutions that they will support clubs and social groups. My club I referred to earlier does actually get grants from our bank, most years. Not huge amounts, but 100s of Dollars.

https://www.bendigobank.com.au/community/community-bank/?_gl=1*1vlrhr5*_gcl_au*NzI2NjM3MDg2LjE2OTM3MzkxMzI.*_ga*MTQ4ODg2NTg1LjE2OTM3MzkxMzI.*_ga_8G245KPFM1*MTY5MzczOTEzMi4xLjEuMTY5MzczOTE0OC40NC4wLjA.&_ga=2.57440490.1192424523.1693739132-148886585.1693739132

$32 Million in the last year in Victoria, is nothing to be brushed off.

My club is big enough to have all the applicable requirements, but of course many clubs do not.

As for cheques, personally the last cheque I wrote, was apparently in 2013. I would have trouble finding the book now. I did receive a cheque for my business earlier and I had to post it off, or go for a 2 hour round trip, plus time spent in the branch. But there was no charge, apart from a stamp.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 11:45, KeithMacdonald said:

1) there's no local branch anymore, so you can't walk in with cheques from older members (because that's the way they always paid).

Cash and cheques for personal accounts can be paid in at most Post Offices - might be worth checking if society/club accounts will allow this too.

Steven B.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Can't you pay cheques via the app of what ever bank you use?

I can pay cheques into the the Barclays app by taking photos of them.

Weirdly it makes cheques relevant again as it's convenient and nobody has to sign up with PayPal etc.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30801 said:

I can pay cheques into the the Barclays app by taking photos of them.

Weirdly it makes cheques relevant again as it's convenient and nobody has to sign up with PayPal etc.

I have done the same with Lloyds Bank. Just take a picture with their banking app and thats it, cheque paid in.

I kept the cheque until it was cleared then shredded it. 

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 13:16, Steamport Southport said:

Can't you pay cheques via the app of what ever bank you use?

Not necessarily. If you are acting under power of attorney for just one holder of a joint account, this is apparently just too problematic to contemplate. WTF! Living inconveniently distant from a real branch (i.e. a physical building with staff in it) of this particular bank which was now somewhere in Scotland instead of in a location near my parent's home (as it had been when they opened the account) and at the time when Covid was causing some 'disruption', caused a mite more cussing.

But I learned from a relative skilled in such arcane matters that it was possible to pay in this cheque using the Post Office Giro system. There was a PO nearby which could achieve this. The young man at the counter couldn't help, and went to consult the senior person. He returned, moved me to a different counter and told me that Mrs X would shortly appear.

And she did. Usefully informed me that it was a very large sum of money, and questions would be asked; but Ha Ha! thanks to the relative's briefing I was prepared: with identifying documents and my Passport, and the Lasting Power of Attorney, and the bank statements and letter of authorisation for the payee account showing me as acting on.behalf of my parents in accord with the provisions of the LPA for my Pa.

So that was alright then, and it funded both my parent's care home fees for another two years...

• Friendly/supportive 1