York Show 2024

john new

• RMweb Gold

Detailed planning is already underway and the first website updates for 2024 are now live. The prices and times are now confirmed as are the dates. In 2024 we will be open on 30th March (Saturday), 31st March (Sunday) and closing on 1st April (Easter Monday). Opening hours per day will be as for 2023.

Further information will be added to the website as it is confirmed.

Update Nov 2023 - revision to opening hours, pre-paid 15 minutes early admissions withdrawn.

Edited by john new
See update
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, RichardT said:

The show that never ends eh @john new?

RichardT

That was always Mike Cook's philosophy, yes. I don't think either Mal Scrimshaw or our current Show Manager (John Shaw) would disagree. Even the rest of us on the organising team/Board are kept fairly busy keeping things ticking over.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had my tongue a bit in my cheek there John, but the phrase came to mind because Easter is so early next year, so the show preparations and announcements have rolled around again incredibly hard on the heels of this year’s show.

I keep up with developments through John when I see him in York - we’re both South Devon/Castle Railway Circle Old Boys from the 70s!

All the best

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As an interim update we had an organisers meeting yesterday confirming various matters. Announcements and website updates will be available in the not too distant future together with the Box Office opening via Eventbrite for pre-paid tickets.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sadly we have to report the loss of three Show regulars in recent months.  Links to our relevant website blog posts are below.

Colin McCallum

Ken Gibbons and  John Ross

We offer our sincere condolences to their families and friends; their presence will be sorely missed when we reassemble for the 2024 Show.

Edited by john new
Note about the image bug removed - issue fixed.
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Some significant updates to the  YMRS website made today as we move onwards towards the 2024 event:–

• Layouts for 2024 – the provisional layouts line up now added.
  • Demonstrators list -  the provisional line up now added
  • Pre-paid tickets – some text rewrites. The prices and times were already live. Tickets sold in advance are now renamed as Pre-paid tickets – these will no longer provide entrance to the Show 15 minutes earlier but will allow holders to bye-pass the pay on the day door line.
  • The travel overview and the arriving by car pages given important updates. The reason is that the car parking situation for 2024 is under review as one of the adjacent stands to the venue is going to be rebuilt. Further updates will be made as and when details are finalised regarding the building work start date and access routes etc. 
  • Car parking: Although finalising this is still a WIP Easter Saturday is earlier this year therefore we do not, currently, envisage a car parking clash with the car boot sale. 
  • Minor change is on the Traders page (A deletion). This page remains a WIP at present.

Less than half a year to go now before we reassemble - how time flies.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

…and Kensington Olympia will be making its second outing and errrr it’s most southerly one so far….( first exhibition was in the NRM!)

IMG_3741.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Minor updates to the layouts for 2024 page. One layout has been withdrawn [ Beijiao ] and one added [ Bury Thorn & Sons ]. 

Changing the sort order - The most recent entries will have appended to the end of he table as the default sort order is date a row was added.; if you hover the cursor over the header bars there are sort buttons in the table headers for resetting the order of the columns based on layout name, scale or displaying owner.

Edited by john new
Added the sort order note.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A pre-paid ticket makes an ideal very late Christmas present for the railway modeller in the family you have forgotten to buy for and is also something for you to spend your Christmas gift money on.

The YMRS Show team wish everyone the compliments of the season and hope you all have a great modelling year in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hoping all our regular visitors have had a good Christmas. Wishing all our modelling friends a happy 2024, whether you are already into the new year or still waiting for midnight.

We will shortly be updating the error that has been pointed out to us on the UK Model Shops listing.  The show is, as always in recent years - Saturday - Monday. For 2024 that is 30th March - 1st April.

UPDATE - as at 17:03 the UKMS website is not currently loading although it was earlier today when I checked it from my phone. Will amend when possible to access the necessary page.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Oil Drum Lane will be at the 2024 York Easter Weekend exhibition originally booked way before the Covid outbreak.

The layout has been in storage and now is being fully tested and a few new scenic items being added.

It will also be at its last exhibition at out exhibition at Stafford over the weekend of 28th & 29th September 2024

Not sure at present if I will keep it or even sell it.

Anyway a few pictures.

Terry 

IMG_0354.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 31/12/2023 at 15:42, john new said:

Hoping all our regular visitors have had a good Christmas. Wishing all our modelling friends a happy 2024, whether you are already into the new year or still waiting for midnight.

We will shortly be updating the error that has been pointed out to us on the UK Model Shops listing.  The show is, as always in recent years - Saturday - Monday. For 2024 that is 30th March - 1st April.

UPDATE - as at 17:03 the UKMS website is not currently loading although it was earlier today when I checked it from my phone. Will amend when possible to access the necessary page.

The UK Model Shops site is still inaccessible to update. Now done.

Edited by john new

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adrianmc said:

Hi John,

Would you be able to post a copy of the Show's handbill that we can download?

As requested. QR code is to the pre-paid tickets Box Office.

YMRS2024A4FlyerQRCodecopy.jpg.d2b644ff2ed78e4b5cdbd4c7ab428203.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, mozzer models said:

are traders been sent any ???

Looking into it with my Board colleagues., will answer when I get the info. 

One minor website change today, the layout ownership of Four Feather Falls corrected.

As we are always asked - "Is the bus link running?" Yes, York Pullman have confirmed our request to run it. The travel page will be updated in the not too distant future as/when I have time.

Hope to meet many of you at Easter.

Edited by john new
Punctuation corrected
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard today of the passing of Roger Ellis. Roger was a member (with Ian Nuttall I recall) of Grimsby MRS and back in the 70s I remember 'Burdale' an BR steam/diesel layout. Later, Roger became a country member of the 'Butcombe Junction' crowd with Dave Hackling et al.. I for one always looked forward to Roger's arrival at the York show on Good Friday to help set-up/lift the mood when Cookie was chucking his teddy(!) and just to chat when us "young 'uns" were generally ignored by the oldies!

Steady away, Rog.

IMG_6588.JPG

Edited by John of York61
photo added
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh good grief, another good man gone. I have a vague memory from the days when we helped Bernard Richmond assemble the scaffolding barriers of Roger Ellis turning up in a pink and yellow paisley shirt and tie combo with a bunch of flowers for Cookie's mum.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you @John of York61 for posting the picture above.

A long term stalwart of the show along with his wife Fiona. A tradition currently being carried on by his son, Fred, to whom the whole show team express our condolences.

His excellent Easter fruit cakes were an annual York tradition.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1