York Show 2024

john new

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Just heard today of the passing of Roger Ellis. Roger was a member (with Ian Nuttall I recall) of Grimsby MRS and back in the 70s I remember 'Burdale' an BR steam/diesel layout. Later, Roger became a country member of the 'Butcombe Junction' crowd with Dave Hackling et al.. I for one always looked forward to Roger's arrival at the York show on Good Friday to help set-up/lift the mood when Cookie was chucking his teddy(!) and just to chat when us "young 'uns" were generally ignored by the oldies!

Steady away, Rog.

IMG_6588.JPG

Roger's obituary has now been added to the Show website. It is located here.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Just heard today of the passing of Roger Ellis.

Oh b*gger.  Time’s winged chariot seems to be getting ever closer. Funnily enough I was just looking at “Burdale” in an old RM. I remember it being close to us in the De Grey Rooms - can’t remember if we were operating “Ashburton” with all-new Cookie-sound (like DCC, but on a tape recorder and with bad impersonations of West Country accents) or “Totnes”? I also remember the Butcombe lot opposite.  Roger initially struck me as a bit intimidating (height plus confidence) but then he started chatting and you realised he was a sound chap.

Another one gone.

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have today updated the London Road Models weblink. 

I will be doing a routine check of the traders page weblinks before the show; however, there are a few gaps. If you are attending as a trader and your entry in the Traders page listing is wrong, missing entirely or missing a website or Ebay link that you now have then please let me know via a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by john new
proof reading & punctuation corrections.

Looking for some advice, which day is generally the busiest day of the York show?
wifey has her 60th the following week, so trying to nudge her for a shopping day in York

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tangoman69 said:

Looking for some advice, which day is generally the busiest day of the York show?
wifey has her 60th the following week, so trying to nudge her for a shopping day in York

Saturday, busiest, especially in the morning.

Sunday you will have less no options for general shopping with her (Sunday trading hours/Easter Sunday enforced closures of the large shops). My guess would be try Monday, possibly the quietest of the three days for us (But very weather dependent) and shops in the City likely to be open for their normal trading hours despite the bank holiday. 

Hope this helps. Pre-paid tickets are on line via our website.

Edited by john new
Edited re Easter Sunday shop closures that I had forgotten about.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, john new said:

Saturday, busiest, especially in the morning.

Sunday you will have less options for general shopping with her (Sunday trading hours). My guess would be try Monday, possibly the quietest of the three days for us (But very weather dependent) and shops in the City likely to be open for their normal trading hours despite the bank holiday. 

Hope this helps. Pre-paid tickets are on line via our website.

Thanks John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Forgot that. Thanks for tip off @woodenhead  I should have remembered because if we need anything for tea back at the house after the show we have to find one of the small shops that is open. Clifton Green SPAR usually.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the countdown to the show getting closer to the opening day a full review of the show website is commencing today. This includes my cross check that the exhibitors page details agree with the latest list from the Show Manager i.e., the status as at 23rd Feb.

Pre-paid tickets are still available from Eventbrite via the on-line link. (The Box Office closes on Good Friday) No extra charges over the pre-pid ticket rate.

The Travel to page is to be revised - reminder that the car park for Saturday differs from that on Sunday & Monday. Also, to forestall the question we are always asked, is the bus running? Yes, we can confirm York Pullman will be running the link bus from the station, seniors pass holders though need to note it is classed as a special and not a service bus therefore fares are payable for riders irrespective of age.

The other update will be to the information regarding photography and video to match that which will be in the 2024 Show Guide.

Photographs , Videos and Live Streaming

If you want to use a dedicated camera or mobile phone to  capture still or video  footage you are reminded that it is only polite to ask permission from the owners of exhibits before filming. All photography MUST BE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY - No commercial filming or live internet streaming is allowed to take place without the permission of both the owners and the Show Organisers.

Hoping to see you all over the Easter weekend.

Edited by john new
Typo spotted on re-reading the post.
  • Like 1

Exhibitors, demonstrators, traders and societies.....don't forget this year, the clocks go FORWARD on the night of Saturday 30th!! You will lose an hour's sleep. Here's a gratuitous picture of JS and Floor Manager Colin Taylor checking the downstairs bar.

20240224_112831_resized.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Exhibitors, demonstrators, traders and societies.....don't forget this year, the clocks go FORWARD on the night of Saturday 30th!! You will lose an hour's sleep. Here's a gratuitous picture of JS and Floor Manager Colin Taylor checking the downstairs bar.

One Hrs less sleep at the Pudsey Hilton "Oh well" 

I will have to  remind Mr Petty of this on the day 

Regards Arran

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, arran said:

One Hrs less sleep at the Pudsey Hilton "Oh well" 

I will have to  remind Mr Petty of this on the day 

Regards Arran

Open a wallet, that'll wake him up...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A promotional video for the show narrated by Steve Flint is now live on YouTube. It is also in a blog post on the website and our other social media platforms (Facebook, Linkedin & X). If you are able to forward it to other like minded contacts that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edited by john new
Updated as now also a live link on the other site's mentioned.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2024 at 20:48, John of York61 said:

You’ll never make a barman stood that far from the pump handles John.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 25/02/2024 at 13:45, john new said:

With the countdown to the show getting closer to the opening day a full review of the show website is commencing today. This includes my cross check that the exhibitors page details agree with the latest list from the Show Manager i.e., the status as at 23rd Feb.

Pre-paid tickets are still available from Eventbrite via the on-line link. (The Box Office closes on Good Friday) No extra charges over the pre-pid ticket rate.

The Travel to page is to be revised - reminder that the car park for Saturday differs from that on Sunday & Monday. Also, to forestall the question we are always asked, is the bus running? Yes, we can confirm York Pullman will be running the link bus from the station, seniors pass holders though need to note it is classed as a special and not a service bus therefore fares are payable for riders irrespective of age.

The other update will be to the information regarding photography and video to match that which will be in the 2024 Show Guide.

Photographs , Videos and Live Streaming

If you want to use a dedicated camera or mobile phone to  capture still or video  footage you are reminded that it is only polite to ask permission from the owners of exhibits before filming. All photography MUST BE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY - No commercial filming or live internet streaming is allowed to take place without the permission of both the owners and the Show Organisers.

Hoping to see you all over the Easter weekend.

A few domestic and modelling activities delayed the start of the above. I am able to confirm that the following two pages are now fully complete with the expected line-up. The Layouts, Demonstrators and Travel pages will be reviewed and updated later this week. I apologise for the updating delay since posting the above.

We can also confirm the link bus is running for all three days and the timetable will be added on-line later this week as the travel page gets checked and updated. Riders need to note (1) the fare has slightly increased this year (£2.50 single £4.00 return) and (2) it is not a public service therefore age passes are not valid. The stand number opposite the station will be RJ. Update: Have now received confirmation fares can be paid by either cash or card.

Parking will be on the Knavesmire on Saturday, and off the end of Racecourse Road on the other two days.  To set a Sat Nav for the Saturday parking pick the junction of Knavesmire Rd & Knavesmire Ave. The gate onto the Knavesmire is immediately opposite the end of Knavesmire Ave. It turns the T junction into a cross-roads. The cause of last year's Saturday parking issue has been resolved and the gate will be unlocked.

Edited by john new
As marked.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Demonstrators and the most important Layouts listings both re-checked again today and are current: therefore, barring any unexpected occurrences, all four of the pages for attending stands should be final. If a late change should occur updates will be posted on our website, here and on our two social media feeds [Facebook & X (Twitter as was)].

Today's remaining updating is a general site review and update to the travel page to include the car parking, bus fare, the bus timetable etc., as per my earlier post above.

A repeated warning of a scam email, they even sent one to us this morning! Idiots. Please don't fall for it.

Email scam - An email scam is, again, circulating ostensibly offering to sell recipients an attendance list for the Show. Such a list is NOT compiled. The YMRS Directors confirm that any attendee data that we do hold is not released to 3rd parties as we comply with data protection principles. As a further point some versions of this email illegally include a copy of our registered trademark logo. Please forward any you receive to report@phishing.gov.uk

NB. This warning was originally posted following the 2023 event - it is recurring for the forthcoming 2024 event.

Pre-purchase tickets - a reminder these are on sale through Eventbrite until Good Friday, the day before the show opens. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

After a full day's editing the site's maintenance and updates review for 2024 has been completed all bar one still outstanding public transport matter (noted on the relevant page).

The most recent blog post made today also looks at the current situation surrounding the question of - is the hobby too expensive? Feel free to comment on that in the comments option on the website's blog section but please keep this thread here on RMWeb just for YMRS issues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2024 at 02:36, john new said:

Roger's obituary has now been added to the Show website. It is located here.

Regrettably I missed this sad news earlier. That's a fine obituary from my namesake Ian, to which I would add only that Roger was an excellent musician. The sing-songs led by Roger, the Captain and, sometimes, Mr Futers were unforgettable.

RIP old mate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Two more late changes as we count down to the Show.

One amendment on the Traders page (Powerbond Adhesives replacing Booklaw/Santona on stand 120) and The Scalefour Society added to the Societies listing.
Pre-paid tickets available until Good Friday. Book ahead, spread the cost, grab the discount. Hoping to see you all over Easter. #YMRS2024

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Google Earth images of the Saturday overflow (free) car park which will be signposted and staffed by Constant Security Ltd. 

Knavesmire gated parking.jpg

These pictures are also included on our show travel page for arrivals by car plus one showing the Sunday & Monday site. As per the travel page suggestion anyone mobility impaired, but not with a blue badge, will have a shorter walk on either Sunday or Monday.

Navigation glitch affecting i-pad and i-phone users also discovered and fixed. The Arriving by car page link from the main menu was not opening the current Arriving by car page. It worked on desktop and laptop PCs and Macs but for some reason not with Apple's mobile software.

Edited by john new
Note added - navigation bug discovered and fixed.

On 15/02/2024 at 17:56, Tangoman69 said:

Don't tell her one of the main shopping streets is a Shambles.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't tell her one of the main shopping streets is a Shambles.

Saturday, don’t forget that on Sunday, it is Easter Sunday, so all the shops in York will closed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, bourneagain said:

Saturday, don’t forget that on Sunday, it is Easter Sunday, so all the shops in York will closed.

Shops under 280m² are allowed to open but may choose not to.

• Like 2