RMweb

WCRC - the ongoing battle with ORR.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

This is possibly one of the most glorious examples of thread drift on RMWeb!

In context..

WCRC are known for MI5 levels of security when it comes to photography on their premises.

I saw a picture of 45699 in Green before it came out, the bloke who sent it was unknown, but was found in parts across 3 counties… 😀

but to go OT again..

I once recall a  signal post, laid on its side, being confused with an iraqi super gun, because certain railway elements were made at the same foundries that Saddam was buying from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

It could always be smoke and mirrors.

yours may have been a placebo and the real test in the bland unknown.

(see my earlier post about the boots).

Not this one, we had a team of engineers onboard and although I have no idea if the missile silos were loaded with live rounds they did extensive radar and control system testing out at sea. The system was a response to the Atlantic Conveyor unpleasantness in 1982.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I was on a container ship field testing a containerised vertical launch SAM system. We all had to sign the official secrets act etc, which seemed stupid when the forward hatch covers were empty save for two containers, one of which had a radar radome and the other had a mushroom farm of missile cells obvious to all the container drivers and stevedores in the ports we visited and with BAE - Lockheed on the boxes.

I have come across some surprising objects  carried around in Enterprise hired white vans.😄

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2024 at 18:56, adb968008 said:

I’m sure torpedos and missiles werent built on the quayside.

😀

Nah, they went somewhere else (not that I'm allowed to tell you where (although no doubt thousands of people know exactly where it is and it even has a sign at the road entrance telling you what it is!).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 02/01/2024 at 19:30, Bernard Lamb said:

I have come across some surprising objects  carried around in Enterprise hired white vans.😄

Bernard

When it comes to off the back of a lorry, just when I think Ive seen it all….

something else appears

B8361E2B-ADD4-4CC0-AA89-9C7D7F5856D9.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 31/12/2023 at 21:49, adb968008 said:

Are we talking about this…

Class 31 Teignmouth May 85ish

31flask1187

both flickr/not mine

of which its modern equivalent is this…

https://www.accurascale.com/products/kua-nuclear-flask-carrier

Theres a zillion pictures of it.

I remember reading (which book I can't remember) that they weren't nuclear flask carriers as such but for the reactor core fitted to submarines.

Pictures on Flickr of one having come off the Rosyth Dockyard branch at Inverkeithing.

EDIT: to use the word I meant to in the first place.

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, keefer said:

I remember reading (which book I can't remember) that they weren't nuclear flask carriers as such but for the nuclear core fitted to submarines.

Pictures on Flickr of one having come off the Rosyth Dockyard branch at Inverkeithing.

Expect a visit from shadowy figures Mr Keefer!!!

Dammit I quoted you and there is a knock at my door now as well

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

This sign is obviously because it's now a tourist attraction but still raises a chuckle - 

image.png.1913914fa427ee563f76de136542f855.png

But how about this one?

image.png.2b9c3595cf8a20eb0929c2c9f77b34e9.png

One of those "worst kept secrets" - let's pretend that a high security MoD place is actually a point where motorway maintenance units can go.

Except the rules say the sign needs to be red because it's military based 🤡

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Expect a visit from shadowy figures Mr Keefer!!!

Dammit I quoted you and there is a knock at my door now as well

Screenshot_20240104-192134.png.a84f765152b95e9b7d58049c7c1a9f6a.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Theres nothing more secret than this…

Cheltenham ... V950 DDG to GCHQ

flickr url / not mine.. i didnt do it honest, dont spook me !

Any passengers still on the bus at the last stop must be a….
😀

For those watching a certain ITV drama this week, The symbolism of Fenny Compton will be lost to 99% of the audience. I keep expecting  a shopping mall in Essex to appear in it to.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/12/2023 at 09:56, Michael Hodgson said:

I've signed it dozens of times, and always wondered what difference a bit of paper made to whether or not I might disclose something I shouldn't.  Not that anything I dealt with would have been of much interest to the bad guys.

I too have signed the OSA (compulsory when you worked for BT) but what doesn't seem to be understood is that every person has to comply with it, even if you haven't signed it, the act of signing is effectively a reminder that you are already bound by it.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, uax6 said:

I too have signed the OSA (compulsory when you worked for BT) but what doesn't seem to be understood is that every person has to comply with it, even if you haven't signed it, the act of signing is effectively a reminder that you are already bound by it.

Andy G

I signed it and worked with some things that were very covered by it (power station and submarine fuel amongst other "stuff") - when I left the nukes I was debriefed by a large, very well built, gentleman who told me that even though I was leaving, the act still covered me for several years and for the "nudge nudge" work would apply for - effectively life - as he left he said "goodbye and hopefully I won't have to come back" - I took the thinly veiled warning seriously so still don't talk in detail about what I did even though I suspect the technology has long moved on.

Edited by beast66606
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Since WCRC provide the coaches to several mainline steam heritage train operators is there any news as to whether the 2024 excursion programme can take place?

Or is this an Official Secret?

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably, if they (WCRC) decide not to go through with fitting cdl, then that stock has no mainline role, therefore all those other operators will have to look elsewhere for rolling stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/01/2024 at 19:44, adb968008 said:

Theres nothing more secret than this…

Cheltenham ... V950 DDG to GCHQ

flickr url / not mine.. i didnt do it honest, dont spook me !

Any passengers still on the bus at the last stop must be a….
😀

For those watching a certain ITV drama this week, The symbolism of Fenny Compton will be lost to 99% of the audience. I keep expecting  a shopping mall in Essex to appear in it to.

Which ITV drama was this?

• Funny 5

9 minutes ago, burgundy said:

When I lived in Washington DC, I always rather enjoyed the sight of vehicles marked "Secret Service Uniform Division".

Best wishes 

Eric 

They dont like Brit tourists pointing at them and trying to take a photo :-)

Even more of a head shaking moment than filling in the green form on the way over with the invitation on the back to write to the National Office of Paperwork Reduction if you though it was too long. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Even more of a head shaking moment than filling in the green form on the way over with the invitation on the back to write to the National Office of Paperwork Reduction if you though it was too long. 

I wonder if anyone ever ticked the box to say they were involved in terrorism?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

20 hours ago, beast66606 said:

I signed it and worked with some things that were very covered by it (power station and submarine fuel amongst other "stuff") - when I left the nukes I was debriefed by a large, very well built, gentleman who told me that even though I was leaving, the act still covered me for several years and for the "nudge nudge" work would apply for - effectively life - as he left he said "goodbye and hopefully I won't have to come back" - I took the thinly veiled warning seriously so still don't talk in detail about what I did even though I suspect the technology has long moved on.

When I worked for BT in the sixties  I had to sign the Secrets Act because we went onto all the local military bases and the local rocket testing facility which everybody locally knew what they did and the noise when they did testing echoed all round the locality.  Later in life  in catering wholesale I had to go into many military bases all over the south  and they knew I was covered  by the act even though I signed it a long while before, I enjoyed my visits especialy when went onto an active  RAF base and saw Lightnings takeing off. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wheatley said:

When I was in Washington last September and had a look at the White House through the railings I came across a bloke with a secret service written on his bulletproof jacket, I said to him that to me it didn't seem to be very secret, he just smiled and walked on.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1