Classified Documentation - An S.160 for OO

Zero Gravitas

wonderful news. Just when my wallet (and pre-order list) are almost empty. Will wait to see if they are doing any of the UK preserved examples. I remember travelling behind one of the class on the NYMR many years ago.

Have Rapido moved away from split chassis electrics on their steam models (I recall seeing that the Royal Hudson was a version of split chassis, but may be wrong)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Rapido on this announcement and we wish them every success with the project.

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2014. Here's how it has fared in more detail (but note that The Poll didn't run in 2017, 2020 or 2021)...

2014 - 40th

2015 - 30th

2016 - 6th

2018 - 3rd

2019 - Top overall

2022 - 4th

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Excellent news. These locomotives have gotten around a bit in preservation and are a good ‘rule 1’ loco as you can say they appeared anywhere due to wartime conditions. It will be interesting to see what livery options they do.

• Like 1

Hi,

Great announcement, I will always remember a trip to the Churnet Valley many years ago and sitting in the pub garden at Consall and listening to one of these things depart with that American hooter whistle echoing throughout the valley......fantastic......!

One red one with sound please :)

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 4

My heart says Yes to this as what could be more suited to a model set in late wartime East Anglia?

My head asks questions:

• Actually my layout is in 1945 and most (if not al) the loco's had come off loan by then and were on mainland Europe
  • I would guess this will not be a cheap purchase and every pound spent on this loco will be a pound not spent on other items to finish the layout, or other things.

Anyway I guess the lead time on this will mean we will not see it for some time so things might chagne in the future.

• Like 2

image.png.d12aac4c0bf264f39155d97157c73e33.png

YES! I have been eagerly waiting for somebody to announce a run of proper OO Gauge S160s! If any of the ones announced were made by the Lima Locomotive Works they'll be coming home for sure! (Also if you mad lads do a fictional BR One.... 😁)

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I reckon this one could well have the steam generator that Rapido said they were working on? Would be one way to have a USP if someone else were to also have been working on it.

Edited by E100
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, E100 said:

I reckon this one could well have the steam generator that Rapido said they were working on? Would be one way to have a USP if someone else were to also have been working on it.

Me too!

This model in full fat DCC sound plus steam won't be cheap I suspect.

Do I need one? Well 6046 was on the Bluebell for a few months + steam.....

But I've already a big program of models underway now.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

I shared the news amongst my friends and they're now hopeful the Canadian side of things could possibly go in on a 1:87 HO Version. There's a fair amount stateside with two that have been tourist railroad staples that could be a hit 

• Like 2

• Phil Parker changed the title to Classified Documentation - An S.160 for OO
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Great announcement, I will always remember a trip to the Churnet Valley many years ago and sitting in the pub garden at Consall and listening to one of these things depart with that American hooter whistle echoing throughout the valley......fantasic......!

One red one with sound please :)

Simon

Yes,I remember it’s appearance on the Churnet Valley in I think 2017 and a trip behind it. On that day there was a wedding & reception there with the bride & groom & party taking a trip as well. 

And yes,that siren sound hooter. Heard as a small boy taking a walk along the valley across from the Vale of Neath line with my grandfather and seeing a freight train distantly heading towards Pontypool Road. Then hearing that unmistakable wail. Grandad said…”It’s one of them Yankees. “.Here to help the war effort and a railway network on its knees after nearly six years war.. They went soon,either into a shattered Europe or back home to the US.

I’ve been waiting years for one of these.Look good hauling some of Rapido’s newly / soon to be released wagons too. Just the vintage job.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Probably a good match for Rapido.   Now, if only I could get Rapido UK shipped direct to me in the US, instead of bouncing through the UK.

And also for the EU to avoid the standard £25 + 25% vat charges I get on anything I buy from the UK. Even on goods sent free of charge to replace defective goods!

Edited by Vistisen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My wallet just went ouch.. I'm modelling 1940s and there is a photo of an S160 at the station I'm modelling.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ToledoRails said:

I shared the news amongst my friends and they're now hopeful the Canadian side of things could possibly go in on a 1:87 HO Version. There's a fair amount stateside with two that have been tourist railroad staples that could be a hit 

Rocco do, or did not long ago, an HO 1:87 scale S160.

John S

• Like 3