Classified Documentation - An S.160 for OO

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2023 at 13:46, ToledoRails said:

image.png.d12aac4c0bf264f39155d97157c73e33.png

YES! I have been eagerly waiting for somebody to announce a run of proper OO Gauge S160s! If any of the ones announced were made by the Lima Locomotive Works they'll be coming home for sure! (Also if you mad lads do a fictional BR One.... 😁)

There's plenty of variety to go for. S160s which have operated in preservation in the UK so far have at various times carried the following liveries:

• USATC black with white lettering (2253, 5197)
  • USATC black with silver lettering (6046)
  • USATC grey, with and without the Medical Corps Aesculapius (5820)
  • Longmoor Blue (3278)
  • Polish State Railways black (5820)
  • 'Wizard' red (actually EWS maroon) without lettering (5197)
  • Burrell plum with USATC lettering (2253)
  • BR black (5820)
Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Here's the 'Wizard'/EWS S160. Photo by Dave Gibson.

91802089_3066778750010280_4334844611349446656_n.jpg

sigh  Alright, you've convinced me. I'm going to have to buy one now (assuming this one is made). Although I'm also enticed by the LMR blue and the plum 2253. I really am going to have to build a large museum on my modern image layout, I have far too many steam engines. 

• Like 4

I'm up for one, too. There's a wartime photo of one at my proposed station of Pontrilas, presumably waiting to take the Golden Valley branch for access to the ammo dump that was situated along the branch - what's not to like?

Cheers,

Philip

PS: The Roco ones were very good and I was offered one with a huge discount, but unfortunately it was incorrect at HO scale!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philou said:

PS: The Roco ones were very good and I was offered one with a huge discount, but unfortunately the wheels were a correct distance apart which made it incompatible with my incorrect models.

Fixed it for you ;)

Edited by Nova Scotian
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Fixed it for you ;)

OO isn't a problem for most on here. If it was we wouldn't be on here!

Right or wrong, models that don't match what you already have are pointless purchases.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

22 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If UK-outline HO ever had a r-t-r future

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Fixed it for you ;)

I know it's a subject that's been hotly debated on here and elsewhere, but the UK HO boat sailed years ago. It's too late for me to go back as I've far too much kit to even think about changing to any other scale. Anyway, if you think we've a problem with too narrow rails, give a thought to those who do Irish outline - it's worse and even on the continent, those who do Iberian (Portuguese included) or Eastern European, have it just as bad. I'll just live with my incorrect gauge/scale models.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: The only thing that stopped me buying the Roco model at the time wasn't so much it was HO, but as the original was constructed to fit the UK loading gauge, it looked out of place size-wise.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 12:44, JSpencer said:

Be careful everyone. It all starts off with integrating this one US loco that can "only just about" be justified and suddenly - BOOM - the door is open to all other Rapido's North American range.....

Nah, we've had US locomotives for a few years without buying random ones. The Bachmann/Model Rail USA Tank came out in 2016!

Now if someone were to make a MR (or GNR or GCR) Mogul then I might bite their hand off. Short lived, but very distinctive and could easily mingle with many models already made RTR (or kit/scratch built) that many of us have.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-GREAT-CENTRAL-RAILWAY/i-5GjJ6XT/A

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Philou said:

PS: The only thing that stopped me buying the Roco model at the time wasn't so much it was HO, but as the original was constructed to fit the UK loading gauge, it looked out of place size-wise.

Same goes for the DJH kit which would have been an alternative. Now unavailable.

Saw one at an exhibition and it didn't seem right with 4mm. Looks a good model though.

http://www.british-ho.com/showcase/traction-steam/djh_usatc_s160_1.htm

Jason

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Philou said:

I know it's a subject that's been hotly debated on here and elsewhere, but the UK HO boat sailed years ago. It's too late for me to go back as I've far too much kit to even think about changing to any other scale. Anyway, if you think we've a problem with too narrow rails, give a thought to those who do Irish outline - it's worse and even on the continent, those who do Iberian (Portuguese included) or Eastern European, have it just as bad. I'll just live with my incorrect gauge/scale models.

Cheers,

Philip

Yes the Roco S 160 is outstanding and I too could have taken a gamble at the temptation of a huge price reduction but then why when it’s out of scale ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

but if it's running on narrow track it looks ridiculous !

However, you may say that, but I've been so used to seeing the incorrect scale:gauge, that any EM/P4 layout just looks 'odd' even though they're more correct (strictly speaking EM isn't and I wonder why if you're going to the bother of resizing tracks and wheels why not go the whole hog and do 18.83mm gauge anyway?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

... but if it's running on narrow track it looks ridiculous ! 😉

But a necessary evil if one wants to run big steam-outline engines, and doesn't have the space the five-to-six foot radius curves needed accommodate them in P4. A circle of that would almost fill my entire railway room!

MPDs or shunting planks provide a "straight-line" alternative, but the problem re-emerges if one has to put the layout and fiddle yard on opposite ends of a corner to get it all in the room. Neither is much use if you want to run trains for more than twice their own length, either! We aren't all content with shunting puzzles.

If one is clever enough with layout/scenery design to control viewpoints, OO is also a subterfuge that can be largely concealed. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Philou said:

However, you may say that, but I've been so used to seeing the incorrect scale:gauge, that any EM/P4 layout just looks 'odd' even though they're more correct (strictly speaking EM isn't and I wonder why if you're going to the bother of resizing tracks and wheels why not go the whole hog and do 18.83mm gauge anyway?)

The main reason is the same as why OO is more practical for most of us than EM. Minimum radii and the space needed to accommodate them.

The more accurate the gauge, the gentler the curvature is necessary; due to tighter cylinder/valve gear clearances. For 4mm Pacifics in OO that's roughly 18", in EM 36"-48", and P4 60-72".  

Rightly or wrongly, P4 also has a reputation for needing more intensive maintenance than EM, though I suspect that any variation may be down to ones track-laying ability. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

33 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

due to tighter cylinder/valve gear clearances

And as a further thought regarding the OO/HO scale/gauge issue, our HO brethren also suffer in compromises, as regardless of being 'more' correct, they too cannot have steam locos with outside motion correctly spaced due to the 'toy' curves that they negotiate too. Who in the end is better off? No-one really, not even the 'purists' as they seem to suffer from running issues and lack of space to accommodate the radii required.

Anyway, I suppose I ought to end here as we're definitely OT! I shall await the new S160 .........

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Philou said:

And as a further thought regarding the OO/HO scale/gauge issue, our HO brethren also suffer in compromises, as regardless of being 'more' correct, they too cannot have steam locos with outside motion correctly spaced due to the 'toy' curves that they negotiate too. Who in the end is better off? No-one really, not even the 'purists' as they seem to suffer from running issues and lack of space to accommodate the radii required.

Anyway, I suppose I ought to end here as we're definitely OT! I shall await the new S160 .........

Cheers,

Philip

As I said. It is a broad church. Some like it some don't. But hey 

• Agree 2