The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

When being an enthusiast can confuse other people, or we get confused.

MJI

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In context that is clear.

A colleague experienced deep vein thrombosis on a long inter-continental flight. All was well in the end but it was a concern at the time.

I was trying to work out the driving van trailer issue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Apparently? I live in Ess-Pee country. The SP mainline on the west coast stretched from here to Southern California.

The Daylights - "The most beautiful trains in the World". 

Discuss.

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Apparently? I live in Ess-Pee country. The SP mainline on the west coast stretched from here to Southern California. Of course the SP&S is different - Spokane, Portland and Seattle.

A "Bulleid Pacific" is also known as a "Spam Can". Never heard them called a "Southern Pacific".

Was being slightly flippant with the ‘apparently’. And they are Pacifics, built for the Southern Railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Daylights - "The most beautiful trains in the World". 

Discuss.

Well I like them. The "most beautiful" is a marketing claim and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" after all. There is a Lima GS-4 in the Daylight scheme parked up the road from me in a very nice trainshed. US 4-8-4s are very impressive when you stand next to them - even better when in steam (of course).

I'm partial to "as built"* Merchant Navies too. (And many, many other wheeled conveyances.). I do think British locomotives look their most fetching in Brunswick green with copper chimneys, but that may just be me.

* As opposed to that ridiculous "unrebuilt" moniker.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

US 4-8-4s are very impressive when you stand next to them - even better when in steam (of course).

My only experience of such beasts was provided by Canada's National Transport Museum in Ottowa, but, yes, big North American steam is impressive, in a way that those who have not seen it in the flesh cannot quite comprehend.  Only when you are standing by connecting rods which are over a foot thick, or in a cab that could host the works xmas dance, or looking at a piece of 180lb/ft rail, do you appreciate the sheer size of this stuff!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My only experience of such beasts was provided by Canada's National Transport Museum in Ottowa, but, yes, big North American steam is impressive, in a way that those who have not seen it in the flesh cannot quite comprehend.  Only when you are standing by connecting rods which are over a foot thick, or in a cab that could host the works xmas dance, or looking at a piece of 180lb/ft rail, do you appreciate the sheer size of this stuff!

It's a pity there's so little appreciation of British-built steam beasts exported to Africa, Asia, South America, Aus and NZ, etc

This is from rogerfarnworth.com (wonderful site with lots about British overseas railways)

They needed giants built in Manchester and Glasgow to tackle these gradients. (Remember 5000ft is about one mile)

image.png.44ac4a1a079b566cc25a62cad24a4fd3.png

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

It's a pity there's so little appreciation of British-built steam beasts exported to Africa, Asia, South America, Aus and NZ, etc

The NSW AD60 (Beyer-Garratt 4-8-4+4-8-4 articulated, made in Manchester) is a beast at up to 582,000 lbs locomotive weight.

It's not unappreciated in Australia.

It is certainly heavier (by about 22% ) than the Lima GS-4 (4-8-4) at 475,000 lbs.

Having said that, the UP Challenger (4-6-6-4) clocks in at up to 634,550 lbs of locomotive and the UP Big Boy (4-8-8-4) a whopping 772,250 lbs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The NSW AD60 (Beyer-Garratt 4-8-4+4-8-4 articulated, made in Manchester) is a beast at up to 582,000 lbs locomotive weight.

It's not unappreciated in Australia.

It is certainly heavier (by about 22% ) than the Lima GS-4 (4-8-4) at 475,000 lbs.

Having said that, the UP Challenger (4-6-6-4) clocks in at up to 634,550 lbs of locomotive and the UP Big Boy (4-8-8-4) a whopping 772,250 lbs.

This makes me proud to British

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

One of the big picture libraries, I think it wasGetty, has a picture of an A4 Pacific catalogued under ducks - yes it's Mallard.

Almost as bad as the name “Seagull”, with reference to birdwatchers?

(To say nothing of the spellings and duplication of the B1 “bongos”).

On 20/08/2023 at 11:05, BachelorBoy said:

Let me assure you there are plenty of us!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Best not ask what Gay Crusader is catalogued under!

Mike.

See also 60099: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LNER_Class_A1/A3_locomotives

It’s what happens when you name them all after racehorses, often with silly names.

I’d be interested to know how you catalogue the LNWR ones - ‘Problem’, ‘Experiment’, ‘Cauliflower’ etc…

20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

the Gresley Society after Duckgate....

But it turns out that instead of the duck they could have had a flamingo, a sandwich, a model of either Dick Turpin or the town of Doncaster, or perhaps even (based on the loco above) a medieval knight, holding a Saracen’s head in one hand and a pride flag in the other… 😅

7 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I’d be interested to know how you catalogue the LNWR ones - ‘Problem’, ‘Experiment’, ‘Cauliflower’ etc…

The LNWR had "problems" with their "Experiment" class locos.  One in particular, "Stephenson", was involved in the high-speed derailment at Shrewsbury in 1907.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrewsbury_rail_accident

Some newspapers got hold of the wrong end of the stick and reported that the train was hauled by an experimental locomotive...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

See also 60099: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LNER_Class_A1/A3_locomotives

It’s what happens when you name them all after racehorses, often with silly names.

But it turns out that instead of the duck they could have had a flamingo, a sandwich, a model of either Dick Turpin or the town of Doncaster, or perhaps even (based on the loco above) a medieval knight, holding a Saracen’s head in one hand and a pride flag in the other… 😅

Cauliflower wasn't an official name though.

The class was deemed such as they were the first engines to carry the crest which some thought looked like a cauliflower!

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2023 at 19:50, The Johnster said:

Fair enough.  The S&D in the sense of the Stockton & Darlington had ceased to exist in 1852 when it was absorbed into the then new NER, ten years before the creation of the S&D in the sense of the Somerset & Dorset, so perhaps for clarity they should be referred to as the 1825 S&D and the 1862 S&D.

Point of information for my honourable friend: the NER was formed in 1854 from the merger of the YNMR, the YNBR & the LNR. The SDR didn’t merge with it until 1863.

Speaking of the US, I’ve noted that, when “Model Railroader” magazine talks about British railway companies, they always seem to add a superfluous “ly” to the initials: LNERly, GWRly etc.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Changed my mind
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

One of the big picture libraries, I think it wasGetty, has a picture of an A4 Pacific catalogued under ducks - yes it's Mallard.

As I am now on my PC I can check it, search Duck, Mallard, Train on Getty images and you mainly get feathered creatures but you also get this

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/class-steam-locomotive-mallard-with-a-lord-nelson-class-news-photo/90748423

even worse indexing than I remembered, But returning to my original point  it's at the bottom where it shows you the search terms: "Mallard Duck" and "Aquatic Organism"

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

As I am now on my PC I can check it, search Duck, Mallard, Train on Getty images and you mainly get feathered creatures but you also get this

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/class-steam-locomotive-mallard-with-a-lord-nelson-class-news-photo/90748423

even worse indexing than I remembered, But returning to my original point  it's at the bottom where it shows you the search terms: "Mallard Duck" and "Aquatic Organism"

The famous variety of Belgian duck!

Well it is Marine....

spacer.png

• Funny 1