Hornby have started on Christmas 2023 already!

Hroth

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Bah!   Humbug!

Well, that's given me a little project to add to our Christmas tree layout. I'll have to dig out a naff box van, paint it black and white and just leave it in a siding!

It might even be useful for any shows from November onwards!

This is supposed to be fun after all isn't it?

Cheers

J

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Bah!   Humbug!

Where?!

And if we're going to swap Santa Express pics....

SE2.jpg.ac4e322a232e88962f16ca23729d0f6d.jpg

Basic Santa Express with a Triang conflat for a bit more realism, plodding around an R1 circle with a small fibre optic tree in the middle. The layout was controlled by an Arduino SBC and could operate in several modes*.

* Continuous, Continuous with pause at station, On demand single circuit, On demand single circuit with pause at station.

Edited by Hroth
Updated control modes
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

All the proper manufacturers do Xmas rolling stock and sets. Just waiting for a Marklin Z gauge Xmas wagon to arrive, their annual Z Xmas wagon comes in their own clear bauble so you can hang them from the Xmas tree. And their Z gauge Xmas starter set is pretty good. Seriously considering getting one to run inside the Hornby Santa Express.

Its only these upstart newbie manufacturers who don't do Xmas!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 17/08/2023 at 17:28, Kris said:

On a side note, apparently the best day for starting your Christmas shopping has already past.

In August? Seriously? When many people are on their SUMMER holiday?

Confirmation that the whole thing has got totally out of control.

As for Hornby's Christmas range...........whatever. File under 'Ignore' along with the Beatles and Coca Cola stuff (unless that Class 121 ends up in the bargain bin of course........ 😜!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Hornby are late. B&M had Xmas tat in stock over a week ago.

Our local Tesco are running a bit behind as they only put the 'back to school' stuff 0n the shelves last week.  The Christmas stuff will presumably be next in line for that shelf area plus a lot more shelf space (they'll pi ut the Halloween stuff in another place before anyone asks)..    As usual they'll no doubt have mince pies dated 'not to be eaten after 21 December'

On the matter of "early Christmas advertising" the pub down the road from me start to advertise Christmas Dinner from early September.

People laugh and say "Bit early arn't you? Can I still get a booking (haha)?"

Only to find out that Dinner on the actual 25th is generally sold out before October 1st....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Our local Tesco are running a bit behind as they only put the 'back to school' stuff 0n the shelves last week.  The Christmas stuff will presumably be next in line for that shelf area plus a lot more shelf space (they'll pi ut the Halloween stuff in another place before anyone asks)..    As usual they'll no doubt have mince pies dated 'not to be eaten after 21 December'

Phew, was worried about the acres of Halloween tat and that someone had forgotten it.

Talking of train manufactureres and seasonal stuff, Vollmer have something for Halloween too in HO, N and Z:

43679.jpg

https://viessmann-modell.com/en/search?sSearch=vampire

and Noch have a limited edition haunted house with noise and lights

🧛‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I bet the majority of model railway enthusiasts started with a train set that was either a birthday or Christmas present (although I suspect there were also some miserable who splattered out of the womb bemoaning the lack of weathering and out-of-scale moulded coal on their first wind-up 0-4-0), so it makes perfect sense for all the manufacturers to tap into this (subconscious?) association of trains and the yuletide season.  Am I going to splash the cash?  No.  But what an option for festive family fun if you had kids of a suitable (ie, any) age...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

My wife overheard the Noch haunted house above.....................and immediately gave permission to buy one!  How do I get out of this???? Its horrible!

Tell her they were souled out and you were ghosted on the sale. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

I saw Hot Cross Buns in Waitrose last week.  It is August isn't it ?

Our loal Tesco seems to have Hot Cross Buns asa. regular stoclk item during soem of the year and not just for Easter.  Whereas in my childhood days most bakers ob nly ever sold them on Good Friday.

19 hours ago, ellocoloco said:

My wife overheard the Noch haunted house above.....................and immediately gave permission to buy one!  How do I get out of this???? Its horrible!

It made me laugh! :)

Here's hoping Hornby or Bachmann do one for the UK.

• Like 1