Hornby have started on Christmas 2023 already!

Hroth

6 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Does anyone actually buy this type of stuff?

Yes.

Very easy to mock these things but don't forget that most of the big Continental and US manufacturers have been selling Christmas trains for decades. Just not a market that took off in the UK until recently. They probably make a few million from it and all those Coca Cola trains.

However I notice Bachmann don't get knocked for doing exactly the same.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/jingle-bell-express-train-set/00724

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/merry-christmas-express-train-set/24027

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/night-before-christmas-train-set/90037

Full range here.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/site/search?q=christmas

Jason

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Quite simply yes, to an established collectors market just like the Beatles themed items. Hornby operate in many different market segments, it's just not a segment you are a target of in this instance.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

I do! I bought the Xmas train set in 2019 when my kids were 7 and 3, and they love seeing a wee steam train rattling around under the Christmas tree. I might add another wagon if I can find them at a decent price. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby would be crazy not to have been planning for Christmas already. If Hornby adverts now it puts ideas in peoples minds even if they don't purchase now.

On a side note, apparently the best day for starting your Christmas shopping has already past.

On a second side note, I saw an advert for a 100 day Christmas countdown calendar the other day. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There are christmas crackers for sale in my local cash and carry, I don't think there's much chance of snow this year!

Mike.

There's every chance of it snowing on Christmas day.  It is just working out where......

(preferably Lapland)

Les

• Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It is only 129 days to go.....

🎅🦌🎄

Some might need to get things early. Some of us start in December!

Plenty of time to save up for that Christmas wagon then

• Funny 1

I do have the Santa Express set, bought to amuse my neices when they were younger. Its the one with the closed van with "Reindeer in transit" on the outside.  It made me think that they might be in bite sized chunks....   I've also the fizzy pop train.

I've never thought of extending the number of seasonal vehicles, though I did run the santa express with a couple of conflats with Triang  branded containers, a lowmac with a scratchbuilt sledge and several cattle wagons for the reindeer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is it me or does the Christmas tree carrier have two trunks, top and bottom of the tree ?

Two trees, one laying in each direction moulded in resin so the clarity isn't great. The all knowing gate keeper of the hobby S**'*T***** failed to notice this too which you would have thought he would have. Maybe he was distracted by the sound of the axe grinding in the background?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mount on an oval of 6mm ply, backed with green baize, add a polystyrene hill with suitable cut outs for the feet and you have something fun (and full of train) to run round the Xmas tree. Add a Train tech steam unit into the box van and you've got something chuffing happily around the Xmas tree. 

What's not to love?

DSC_0798~2.JPG

• Like 12