Ruston 88DS In O, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

I honestly expected it to be a Class 37 or 55, following on from the OO gauge models, but as per other's have said 'great little loco', especially for your first dabble into O gauge loco's and a sensible choice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I honestly expected it to be a Class 37 or 55, following on from the OO gauge models, but as per other's have said 'great little loco', especially for your first dabble into O gauge loco's and a sensible choice. 

Heljan are redoing both their class 37 and class 55, I spent a lot of time inspecting both at MIOG in March and they are much better than the previous efforts so for Accurascale to go up against them would be a big commercial risk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

It was touted as "not been done before in RTR O", so ruled out duplicating any output by Heljan in particular.

BUT - is there really enough difference between a Ruston 48DS & an 88DS to still maintain that claim? No idea, myself, and the only 'very small' British outline loco I've succumbed to is the ECT Wickham Trolley, if that can be counted as a loco?

So personally, slightly disappointed it's not a D63xx/Class 22, & not interested in UK Micro-shunters, but I expect as a "toe dipper" for Accurascale it's a sensible choice, unless it has to compete for sales with the Heljan 48DS.

There's always next time for the Class 22, as even if D@p□l announced one tomorow, it'd likely be years before it came to pass (*thinks* Class 66), so plenty of time.... 🤪😝😂

Edited by F-UnitMad
Dreaded fat finger spelling

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

It was touted as "not been done before in RTR O", so ruled out duplicating any output by Heljan in particular.

BUT - is there really enough difference between a Ruston 48DS & an 88DS to still maintain that claim? No idea, myself, and the only 'very small' British outline loco I've succumbed to is the ECT Wickham Trolley, if that can be counted as a loco?

So personally, slightly disappointed it's not a D63xx/Class 22, & not interested in UK Micro-shunters, but I expect as a "toe dipper" for Accurascale it's a sensible choice, unless it has to compete for sales with the Heljan 48DS.

There's always next time for the Class 22, as even if D@p□l announced one tomorow, it'd likely be years before it came to pass (*thinks* Class 66), so plenty of time.... 🤪😝😂

48DS is a baby loco, 88DS is a gawky teenager. Some industries had both. Plenty of 88DS BR NE departmental locos.

Someone will do a class 22 someday!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

37 or 55? I suspect a problem with 20KG weight limit for the deliveries!

• Funny 3

Interesting choice and the price has caught my eye (in a good way). I don’t necessarily need one, but could well find one joining my Ixion Fowler diesel on my layout as I like Rustons. 

The only downside from my point of view is that I’d have preferred to have seen a plain standard Ruston green version (unless I’ve missed something), there’s two in works green on the list that I can see, but both have added owners lettering. Might see if that can be removed, or see if plain Ruston green will be available in a subsequent batch. 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

So, who guessed right? 

I did. Sort of but then I did have some inside information. 😉

You Accurascale chaps are bad, bad, people. I kicked the habit of O gauge and got down to modelling just one scale and now you do this to me.

More Ruston 88DS here -

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Curses, Accurascale, you have just shaken the very foundations of my conviction that 'O' gauge isn't for me after all...

I second this. I have been attracted to O gauge but always managed to resist but I have three reasons to change my mind:

1) I knew the Tottenham Gas works well as my father worked just over the road for a number of years and then we moved and I commuted past every day in the early 1970's until it closed. I did try try to purchase one of their loco's but I think they all went for scrap.

2) for a year I worked at Reading Signal Works but I was in the Computer Division and it was a serious disciplinary matter if we attempted to go into the yard so I only ever saw No 20 from the station.

and 3)

9 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

and an ideal accompaniment other small Industrials, such as our own forthcoming J94 (sorry....Hunslet Austerity).

I volunteer on the Colne Valley Railway and the 88DS belonging to one of our members is usually stabled next to a Hunslet Austerity  0-6-0 and a couple of weeks ago, for our 50th Anniversary weekend the 88DS and Austerity  were on display together in the station. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew Young said:

Interesting choice and the price has caught my eye (in a good way). I don’t necessarily need one, but could well find one joining my Ixion Fowler diesel on my layout as I like Rustons. 

The only downside from my point of view is that I’d have preferred to have seen a plain standard Ruston green version (unless I’ve missed something), there’s two in works green on the list that I can see, but both have added owners lettering. Might see if that can be removed, or see if plain Ruston green will be available in a subsequent batch. 

Andrew

The numbers etc on Accurascale’s OO locos is very easy to remove with a cotton bud dipped in thinners or IPA. Assuming they use the same sorts of paints for their O gauge offering I should think you’ll have no problem removing the owners lettering. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect like other being heavily committed to OO gauge i have been very tempted by various O gauge locos over the years but have always resisted, despite some very serious wobbles...... this however may well make me take the plunge.

You see i have a very good friend who owns one of these locos, he has told me several times how he went to his loco once (based at a railway depot in Birmingham) only to find a group of Irishmen running a tape measure over his 'little loco', they went on to tell him they were going to make a model of it, im fairly sure he will buy one and having followed its restoration closely, im sure i probably will as well.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

30 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

I suspect like other being heavily committed to OO gauge i have been very tempted by various O gauge locos over the years but have always resisted, despite some very serious wobbles...... this however may well make me take the plunge.

You see i have a very good friend who owns one of these locos, he has told me several times how he went to his loco once (based at a railway depot in Birmingham) only to find a group of Irishmen running a tape measure over his 'little loco', they went on to tell him they were going to make a model of it, im fairly sure he will buy one and having followed its restoration closely, im sure i probably will as well.

And I am sure Accurascale seek owner's permission before running a tape meaure or anything else over someone's pride and joy, though it must be a bonus for them it was located in Birmingham.

• Agree 1

Well, I've been umm-ing and ah-ing over the idea of building a small O gauge layout of Murton on the present day Derwent Valley Railway (I say small, in scale, the station to signal box would be 9 feet, and that's just the one siding!) As I've spent plenty of enjoyable days up there over the last year, including driving their 08, and stock wise, not much would be required. Amongst their loco fleet are two 88s, one of which is in the range (Rowntree No.3), the other being a base green loco.

20230930_144028.jpg.b2dfce667175d9f730d68b1c88e455c9.jpg

IMG_20221001_153218.jpg.7571efbc6167cc8cb5e50e193ffaf56a.jpg

I dare say that once I finish paying for a few other things, I'll be going for No.3, probably with noises because if I'm going in, I might as well go all in!

As others have said, I'd love to see this sort of spec in OO, but with the Hornby one probably not far off, I completely understand why that's not likely!

An excellent announcement with plenty of spec at a very reasonable price (as usual!) I suppose I'd best take my tape measure with me next time I go and have a crack at a building or two!

Cheers

J

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. However, as has been said already, I'll hold off for one in Ruston plain green livery. 

To see one that is.........not to buy, you understand....oh no...just to look at.......nope, not buying. Deffo....just curious, so I can tell my friend about it......

Rob

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AMJ said:

As there is at least one based in Ireland one wonders if there will be an Irish exclusive.

I was speaking to Accurascale at GETS over the weekend and the body of the Irish version is wider, not just the chassis.