British Railway Announcement Winter 2023 - the usual guessing and wishlisting.

Suzy Sulzer

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Well, considering that the ex-National Museum, now Swanage Railway, Adams  T3  4-4-0 has recently been steamed, some manufacturer will be announcing it before, or during, Warley  -  might as well be Bachmann.

I think this would be a good one either for Kernow or Rapido personally, the fish fits there stream

safe bet someones going to do it, Saint too can’t be far off being grabbed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If the T3 is to come, I'd expect it to be by Rails of Sheffield with whoever — Dapol, Bachmann, ? — it would fit with their Railway Icons range. Even if Bachmann do the production, in those circumstances it wouldn't feature in the announcements. Bachmann haven't announced a new standard gauge steam loco (aside from retailer commissions) since before the pandemic.

Given the Accurascale 66, I'd have thought it would be risky for Bachmann to do one — though they may feel that they have to have an updated model in their range. And the Farish 66 is also being threatened by a new Dapol model, too. There aren't many diesels left for them to do; the 24 doesn’t seem to have sold that well — some shops are selling the DC versions cheaply at the moment.

Of course, there's nothing to say that any/all of the projects are in fact locomotives. In coaches, one thing missing in OO is the pre-Stanier LMS coaches. Didn't Mainline once do these?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I do wonder if we're overdue an updated Royal Scot in original condition, as the old split chassis version is difficult to fit with DCC.

Still keeping fingers crossed for a Regional Railways 101 or 117.

In 009, I wonder if Russell is an option (given it's the Welsh Highland centenary, though that might have been better produced in time for the celebration events in June). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If the T3 is to come, I'd expect it to be by Rails of Sheffield with whoever — Dapol, Bachmann, ? — it would fit with their Railway Icons range. Even if Bachmann do the production, in those circumstances it wouldn't feature in the announcements. Bachmann haven't announced a new standard gauge steam loco (aside from retailer commissions) since before the pandemic.

Given the Accurascale 66, I'd have thought it would be risky for Bachmann to do one — though they may feel that they have to have an updated model in their range. And the Farish 66 is also being threatened by a new Dapol model, too. There aren't many diesels left for them to do; the 24 doesn’t seem to have sold that well — some shops are selling the DC versions cheaply at the moment.

Of course, there's nothing to say that any/all of the projects are in fact locomotives. In coaches, one thing missing in OO is the pre-Stanier LMS coaches. Didn't Mainline once do these?

The email uses the term 'projects' across all ranges ..Read into that what you like. 

• RMweb Premium

OOooo, a wishlist, how unexpected. 

Can I have a Furness Railway  2-2-2 well tank, Aerolite, a standard gauge Motor Rail Simplex and a Scenecraft DVLR small station building please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I made enquiries today of the gentlemen representing Bachmann at GBRMS about a suitable stablemate for its current Collectors Club  Bahamas Support Coach. The response was suitably and diplomatically non commital but left me with a feeling that a model of that Jubilee might just be “in preparation “. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I made enquiries today of the gentlemen representing Bachmann at GBRMS about a suitable stablemate for its current Collectors Club  Bahamas Support Coach. The response was suitably and diplomatically non commital but left me with a feeling that a model of that Jubilee might just be “in preparation “. 

Would be nice but lets not forget theres a bunch of isolated coaches out there.. BR mk1 exhibition coach, Anglia DBsO for starters…

The 2008 tooling of the jubilee does have a separate piece moulding of the boiler, so upgrading it to a later firebox wouldnt be hard, and its been a few years since the last jubilee now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, adb968008 said:

Would be nice but lets not forget theres a bunch of isolated coaches out there.. BR mk1 exhibition coach, Anglia DBsO for starters…

The 2008 tooling of the jubilee does have a separate piece moulding of the boiler, so upgrading it to a later firebox wouldnt be hard, and its been a few years since the last jubilee now.

All I’m doing is posting my observations as a student of human nature ( as we all are )  to a diplomatically phrased but suitably edged question. How  Bachmann choose ( if indeed they so do ) to proceed will be their call. I look forward to to a Bahamas as I’m sure do a few other forum members and some more WCRC Mk 1’s to string behind it.

Meanwhile to fortify us in our hours of deprivation,we rely on the innumerable YouTube “Dalesman” videos currently sustaining the need.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Mainline did a Composite and Brake 3rd, (plus a Stanier Full Brake). They reappeared in an improved form in the Bachmann range but haven't been released in a while- IIRC the last time they appeared was in the WW1 Ambulance train pack Bachmann did a few years back. A re-tool to modern standards (to say nothing of a wider range) would be  very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Really really hoping for an NGG16. The winter announcement has bought a big 009 release for the last two years (Double Fairlie in 2021 and Mainline Hunslet in 2022) so here's hoping that they continue the trend. The 009 releases certainly seem to have done well for Bachmann. 

I'm not sure they would go for a retooled 66, not unless it's been in the works for a number of years (like the 37). They can't compete with Accurascale on price, and it looks like Accurascale's offering will be fully up to snuff in terms of details, lighting etc. If they could make a 66 at a similar price to Accurscale, or at least not too much more, there are certainly enough liveries for both manufacturers to fill their boots. 

It has been a good number of years since Bachmann has made a new standard gauge 00 steam engine off their own bat, all the recent ones have been commissions for retailers. I'm not sure why that might be. Maybe they don't see a market themselves, or consider it too much of a risk without outside money to guarantee their profits. 

4 new tooling projects is exciting though.

• Like 2

• AY Mod changed the title to British Railway Announcement Winter 2023 - the usual guessing and wishlisting.
  • RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Really really hoping for an NGG16. The winter announcement has bought a big 009 release for the last two years (Double Fairlie in 2021 and Mainline Hunslet in 2022) so here's hoping that they continue the trend. The 009 releases certainly seem to have done well for Bachmann. 

I'm not sure they would go for a retooled 66, not unless it's been in the works for a number of years (like the 37). They can't compete with Accurascale on price, and it looks like Accurascale's offering will be fully up to snuff in terms of details, lighting etc. If they could make a 66 at a similar price to Accurscale, or at least not too much more, there are certainly enough liveries for both manufacturers to fill their boots. 

It has been a good number of years since Bachmann has made a new standard gauge 00 steam engine off their own bat, all the recent ones have been commissions for retailers. I'm not sure why that might be. Maybe they don't see a market themselves, or consider it too much of a risk without outside money to guarantee their profits. 

4 new tooling projects is exciting though.

I cant believe Bachmann simply rolling over on the 66 myself, imo they are going to give it a go, if timing means anything they landed the 37 before A/S’s, and the timelines from a/s have been quite open.

The question isnt if, but what they chose to start with imo… if they started with Euro shed imports, a lot will ignore price if the quality is good enough, imo.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

A revamped 4F or 3F would be nice,

Although to be honest, I'd rather see them add a 2F -or maybe an L&Y 0-6-0.

I know the 3F has been around for a few years now, and I don't recall whether it has any accuracy issues or not. but is there much wrong with the Bachmann 4F? I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to replace my existing ones with an all-new Bachmann 3F or 4F, though I might add an extra one to the collection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1