TT:120 Class 50

Phil Parker

This looks a hundred times better than the Dapol N gauge offering, which just looks wrong around the front windows and undersize headcode box. Hornby deserve some credit for this! Hopefully a class 37, class 47 and perhaps a 101, 108 or 117 DMU might follow on this, to the same high standard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 29/10/2023 at 19:43, TT100 Diesels said:

Ye gods, this is fantastic looking thing. Thanks to Phil for doing the photo stuff.

Did they make a 51st class 50? 

50051 "AWESOME"

O oh, starting to get a 2.5mm wobble now..... Sorry Lenny 

Best

TT100 Diesels

Please don't leave us....have a dabble and come back... ill still talk to you ....some 3mmers will not!

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Without a front view I’m not going to comment on the whole front window shape but it does have the distinctive ‘peak’ just below the head code box…. It looks very promising 🤩

Griff

That was my first thought, it looked "right"

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Without a front view I’m not going to comment on the whole front window shape but it does have the distinctive ‘peak’ just below the head code box…. It looks very promising 🤩

Griff

You mean like the head on view in the first post?

• Round of applause 1

The new class 50 looks great without that hideous snow plough. I thought the HST looked great as well. For me the size difference between British N and TT:120 is not sufficient to make me consider a change but then I am not the main target for TT:120 sales.

23 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Yeah

… but I didn’t like that one… the shape looks ok but why does the glazing resemble frosted glass???

Have you ever been in a UK 1st gen loco in winter at speed? Frozen glasses ...icicles on nose, stuffy hot at a stand still along as its been running all night! Anything above 30mph ice drafts...hence hornbys accurate representation of a 50 in winter!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, griffgriff said:

Yeah

… but I didn’t like that one… the shape looks ok but why does the glazing resemble frosted glass???

Because clear plastic reflects light, and the illumination in my portable booth is above the model and about 5cm in front of it. 

If you look at the 3/4 views, you can see how clear it is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, admiles said:

Must be just me but it just looks wrong to me. Subjective of course but looks kind of hunched and the sides bow out too much. Hard to explain but for me, nope, doesn't look/feel like a 50.

Not sure I would be expecting Accurascale levels of fidelity, this is just a big bigger than the Dapol 50 and I think they've done quite a good job.

Seeing the models in real life is a little strange though, probably because it's neither N or OO so no something I am used to seeing and I've not gotten used to that yet.  Perhaps when more appear at exhibitions and it becomes more normal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not sure I would be expecting Accurascale levels of fidelity, this is just a big bigger than the Dapol 50 and I think they've done quite a good job.

Seeing the models in real life is a little strange though, probably because it's neither N or OO so no something I am used to seeing and I've not gotten used to that yet.  Perhaps when more appear at exhibitions and it becomes more normal.

I'm not. Just going on how it looks to me. It doesn't give me that "it's a 50" feeling. Just looks wrong to me.

Happy to change my mind if I ever get to see one in the flesh though.

5 minutes ago, admiles said:

I'm not. Just going on how it looks to me. It doesn't give me that "it's a 50" feeling. Just looks wrong to me.

Happy to change my mind if I ever get to see one in the flesh though.

As woodenhead said above as new scale to uk loading gauge it is going to take the minds eye a whilst to adjust and accept. New Hornby mag layout goes a long way to do this as viaduct and valley is stunning...

There was about 15years a go a 2mm layout set in peak district by I think the Manchester club it was very much hills ...tunnels and bridges before the secondary trains was stunning. imagine in tt120 and the trains a bit bigger! Mmmm

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bradfordbuffer said:

As woodenhead said above as new scale to uk loading gauge it is going to take the minds eye a whilst to adjust and accept. New Hornby mag layout goes a long way to do this as viaduct and valley is stunning...

There was about 15years a go a 2mm layout set in peak district by I think the Manchester club it was very much hills ...tunnels and bridges before the secondary trains was stunning. imagine in tt120 and the trains a bit bigger! Mmmm

Maybe but for me its a bit simpler. I look at a model, regardless of scale, and think "does it look like a class XX?"  This one doesn't!