TT:120 Class 50

Phil Parker

Comparing it with photos of the real thing it looks pretty good to me! The hand grabs on the front are a bit thick but would probably be too fragile on a RTR model if made to scale thickness and will be less obvious in the flesh anyway.

Edited by HSB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

@HSB To me it looks like the TT120 designers have gotten more confident with their diesels, the 08 did not has moulded hand rails but with the class 50 they have taken the added detail up a notch.

That's got to be good news down the line as other models appear and fidelity improves further.

But nope, not changing scale, wedded to N.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, admiles said:

Maybe but for me its a bit simpler. I look at a model, regardless of scale, and think "does it look like a class XX?"  This one doesn't!

I don't know how you know it doesn't as you've already admitted you haven't seen it.

I've seen the model close up and I've seen far too many of the real thing for a North Easterner.  To me it looks just like a class 50 should, and that makes it a class 50.

Still out of my region and time frame so I'll not be having one, though I am sorely tempted....

Les

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I see 50s regularly on the SVR and this model looks like a 50 to me. If I was going to get into TT:120, which I am not, I would most definitely buy both a 50 and a HST. This is based on the models I saw at Gaydon.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I don't know how you know it doesn't as you've already admitted you haven't seen it.

I've seen the model close up and I've seen far too many of the real thing for a North Easterner.  To me it looks just like a class 50 should, and that makes it a class 50.

Still out of my region and time frame so I'll not be having one, though I am sorely tempted....

Les

From the photos posted on here. And as I also said (which you seem to have missed) I'm happy to change my mind if and when I get to see one in the flesh.

This is a personal, subjective thing. Some people like yourself will thing it looks great and some people like me won't. There's no absolutes here.

20 hours ago, HSB said:

Comparing it with photos of the real thing it looks pretty good to me! The hand grabs on the front are a bit thick but would probably be too fragile on a RTR model if made to scale thickness and will be less obvious in the flesh anyway.

Yes the grab rails and the wipers are too thick. I really wanted a 50 but the pictures have put me off. Weathered up and in the flesh it may look the part so I'll wait and see.

• RMweb Premium

I can't imagine many will mistake it for anything other than a 50. Models do tend to look worse in pictures than in the hand, especially in small scales where the size of images tends to magnify and exaggerate any potential issues and limitations with what can be achieved with production processes. This model will not be that much bigger than an N gauge model in the hand and I would expect it to look much better than when viewing large images.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

I am presently in the throes of scratch design and build of a TT120 tender loco and the balance of fidelity versus the actuality of minute detail needs a strong dose of realism . I have seen far too many rivet counters and reviewers praising this that and the other detail on a model that has otherwise  all too clearly failed with the basics of shape and arrangement.

Hornby seem to have it about right.

Off topic- anyone else notice how slow this site's functionality has become? May have something to do with the pop-up videos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tartaruga said:

Yes the grab rails and the wipers are too thick. I really wanted a 50 but the pictures have put me off. Weathered up and in the flesh it may look the part so I'll wait and see.

If you are waiting for another manufacturer to present a TT120 class 50, you might have a long wait.

If you are investing in TT120 then this is the class 50, it's all there is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm not a 'rivet counter', or perfectionist, or even close to being an expert like a lot of RMWeb members (I simply like trains), so personally I just like things to be a reasonable representation of the prototype and as long as there are no blindingly obvious and glaring errors that even the likes of me and Stevie Wonder could spot then it's good enough for me.

So, in essence, does this look like a Class 50 to me? Yes. Is it reasonably priced? Yes. Therefore; job done. Well done Hornby (as long as it runs okay.. 🤣)

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

As others have said, hugely zoomed photographs of small scale models tend to be unkind.

At GETS I had the chance to handle this model and while I am no particular fan of the 50s it looked like one to me and felt like a quality model.  In reality things like the grab handles do not jar as they are very small. 

The model is around 7" (175mm) long.  Shrinking it on your screen to that sort of size will give a better idea of how it really looks.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

I'm not a 'rivet counter', or perfectionist, or even close to being an expert like a lot of RMWeb members (I simply like trains), so personally I just like things to be a reasonable representation of the prototype and as long as there are no blindingly obvious and glaring errors that even the likes of me and Stevie Wonder could spot then it's good enough for me.

So, in essence, does this look like a Class 50 to me? Yes. Is it reasonably priced? Yes. Therefore; job done. Well done Hornby (as long as it runs okay.. 🤣)

I suspect your view is much more representative of the hobby than counting rivets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

It looks quite nice, certainly more accurate than the 08, which some versions had several errors.

I do note theyve not gone the route of bogie chains, like we have recently seen on 37’s and the 55 in OO by two manufacturers.

But it does look nice, but 50’s always look nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Evidently: currently we are ranging from nothing like, to the best in any scale (which presumably includes the original).

No, I didn't mean 1:1 as well. I thought we were talking about models, forgive me for not quantifying my statement so there was no ambiguity whatsoever. 😝🤣🤣

Certain "nothing like" comments on here make me wonder just what a manufacturer would have to do to please such people, to be honest.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, natterjack said:

Off topic- anyone else notice how slow this site's functionality has become? May have something to do with the pop-up videos.

The pop up video I've been getting for the last couple of weeks is of a guy in a check shirt building a layout. I get the need for advertising but this pop up window covers a good 40% of the screen covering the text of the posts. No idea how to shift it! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

No, I didn't mean 1:1 as well. I thought we were talking about models, forgive me for not quantifying my statement so there was no ambiguity whatsoever. 😝🤣🤣

Certain "nothing like" comments on here make me wonder just what a manufacturer would have to do to please such people, to be honest.

As this is pointed at me I'll respond. I don't need to be "pleased". I merely said it didn't, to my eye, capture the look of a 50 too well. That, as I've said is subjective. Just my opinion.

We all will look at a model and form an opinion of how well it captures the look of the prototype in probably the first few seconds. That doesn't involve breaking out the ruler or counting the rivets to see how accurate it is. Merely the impression or look of the thing.   Some models nail it and some don't. Where a model falls on that particular spectrum is down to the individual doing the viewing. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

So does it or doesn't it look like a 50?

It would appear opinion is divided...

image.png.5d556bfd455d954236294f6fbd3efe9c.png

As I said, I don't claim to be an expert but it certainly looks like a 50 to me.  Probably more than any of the other smaller scale offerings I have seen...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, admiles said:

The pop up video I've been getting for the last couple of weeks is of a guy in a check shirt building a layout. I get the need for advertising but this pop up window covers a good 40% of the screen covering the text of the posts. No idea how to shift it! 

He gets everywhere....just a quick subscription boom its gone! Or do what I do and press the little x top right corner of advert.....funny as I am typing who pops up!....then a ad for lady's underwear...talk about targeted advertising 🤔 

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 2