Rapido Stirling Single No.1 (OO) with Sturrock tender

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

I wonder if there is a demand for class members other than No.1, and to include some detail variations.

I am imagining the arguments over the accuracy of the detail variations, because these machines were built in matching pairs, and apparently didn't stay that was for long... Let's wait for the Sturrock 'early Stirling components mash up' tender debate to settle...

4 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I'll have a timeline of East Coast locos from the Stirling to HSTs when it turns up, should look great running round the layout.

We're singing off the same hymnsheet. In my case I am skipping the HST for the 225, the much superior experience.

• RMweb Premium

For those wanting Rapido to produce separate tenders , I would think not . They want you to buy the whole loco again . That's why its being offered as a different derivative this time round .

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

I wonder if there is a demand for class members other than No.1, and to include some detail variations.

I would think not, making one model of a famous preserved prototype that you still have access to is not a commitment to producing a class of locomotives. I've even been wondering about scratch building a Stirling single, its questionable if it would cost that much more.  

16 hours ago, Legend said:

For those wanting Rapido to produce separate tenders , I would think not . They want you to buy the whole loco again . That's why its being offered as a different derivative this time round .

I mean anyone wanting two tenders, presumably is modelling the preservation era (given the loco never ran with the Sturrock tender GNR service), and will have no need or justification for two locos. Only one exists. Especially two with the same number.

If they produce the tender on its own, I will buy it(nice to have, look great on display, and offer variation in running). If they don't I'm not buying a whole second loco! I can't imagine I'm on my own here

• RMweb Gold

Let's say they did - how many returns would they see because the colour didn't match the several year old model that's been sitting in the sun all this time?

I can't see them doing it (even though I'd buy one of the current ones to go with the 1930s condition one I have on order).

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 hours ago, stewartingram said:

In my Roundtuit pile I have an unbuilt Kitmaster kit. If I can be bothered, I can make the small tender from that.

Although it's behind a different loco, and I've slightly modified the shape of the frame cut-outs, added (moulded) coal rails, provided guard irons, lamp irons, separate handrails and changed the buffers, here's an example of exactly that Kitmaster early Stirling, inner wooden framed tender. Different versions/sizes of Stirling's early tenders having existed, and some having been subsequently altered, then depending on the exact type you have in mind it is possible to pick fault with size and position of individual bolt / rivet heads, the amount of frame projection at the rear, the thickness of visible edges of side sheets and steps etc, but once the GNR livery was on I found those finer points much less noticeable. This tender, which didn't cost me a lot, is motorized too, as is the loco of course.

STA72048sm.jpg

STA72051.JPG

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Now there's a challenge...

I think I once saw a working model of a Sturrock goods loco and steam tender. With the tender having an unusual wheelbase, tank dimensions unlike any obvious RTR or kit options, and cranks/rods outside the outside frames, I can only imagine that it was built almost entirely from scratch. Maybe the sort of thing that Mike Sharman would have done?

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 14:14, MikeParkin65 said:

I think there probably is - seemed to work for Bachmann with C1 Atlantic and Rails with the various SECR D Class

Yes but: those two classes were in regular service in significant numbers into the 1940s in the case of the C1, and 1950s for the D; and there's some contemporary rolling stock to go with for both. (My most authentic LNER period passenger train from RTR OO is a C1 with the 1928 QoS Pullmans.)

The GNR stock required for the Single in fleet service is strictly -difficult- kit or scratch builder territory.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Sorry about the wobbly photo booth I put it in when hurriedly grabbing shots.

Did you ever think to put the booth on a table? I saw you crouched down taking some photos as I left on Sunday and did think should I take a photo of you in action for a reply such as this 😀

1 hour ago, pirouets said:

Did you ever think to put the booth on a table? I saw you crouched down taking some photos as I left on Sunday and did think should I take a photo of you in action for a reply such as this 😀

We didn't have a spare table for me to use. Us magazine photographers have to work under tricky conditions sometimes. Fortunately, the other shots are fine. 

• Like 3

On 27/11/2023 at 15:48, Phil Parker said:

Sample at Warley.

Single2_clean_1200.jpgSingle3_clean_1200.jpg

Sorry about the wobbly photo booth I put it in when hurriedly grabbing shots.

Thanks for these, Phil. 

I note that the wheel end of the rod is unpainted here. An improvement I'd say as I did think the full brass end was a little overkill on the last run, given it's just the bearing(?) on the real thing, but imagine it's a hard area to paint and compromises have to be made. I'm also not picking out the works plates at the top of the splashers or some of the wheel lining from the previous edition. Fully aware this is a sample and far from final, so these matters are probably all in hand, or maybe even being tweaked? Given the minor improvements that the 2nd run of Dynamometer cars brought, it would be interesting to know from Rapido if there are any changes being made to the Single this time around - beyond the obvious 6-wheeled one!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2023 at 09:04, gr.king said:

I think I once saw a working model of a Sturrock goods loco and steam tender. With the tender having an unusual wheelbase, tank dimensions unlike any obvious RTR or kit options, and cranks/rods outside the outside frames, I can only imagine that it was built almost entirely from scratch. Maybe the sort of thing that Mike Sharman would have done?

I'm a little late, but how about this Graham?

• Like 7