Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

Not a wish list but there are three 30th anniversaries next year:

Channel Tunnel - ? A new train set standard Class 373 or e320. 

Load Haul, Mainline and TransRail all launched in 94 so maybe a run out of the locos in RailRoad or main range. 

Gatwick Express, the first none BR branded operator, another relivery for the Limby 73. 

Plus it's 100 years since the Wembley Empire Exhibition 2 of the locos that attended were Caerphilly Castle and.....Flying Scotsman and we know how they love it!

Edited by QuoitsPlayer
Typos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 04:19, Mr chapman said:

Honest question. Don't you GWR guys get bored of 4-6-0's? From a visual standpoint. As a southern modeller I have all sorts available. I'd be crying out for an Aberdare or something a bit more distinctive.

Jokes about all GWR locos looking the same aside... 

Not at all because they all look different from each other.  Back in my steam spottng days I could identify at a distance the class of any approaching GWR 4-6-0 long before I could read the number such were the differences between them (and it was even possible to tell what certain 'Castles' were before they passed.

• Like 3

On 29/11/2023 at 04:19, Mr chapman said:

Honest question. Don't you GWR guys get bored of 4-6-0's? From a visual standpoint. As a southern modeller I have all sorts available. I'd be crying out for an Aberdare or something a bit more distinctive.

That sounds to me like asking LNER cognoscenti whether they are ever bored of Gresley and Thompson pacifics.

Erm 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

Load Haul, Mainline and TransRail all launched in 94 so maybe a run out of the locos in RailRoad or main range. 

Gatwick Express, the first none BR branded operator, another relivery for the Limby 73. 

Plus it's 100 years since the Wembley Empire Exhibition 2 of the locos that attended were Caerphilly Castle and.....Flying Scotsman and we know how they love it!

I think you'll find that Gatwick Express was not the first non-BR branded passenger train operator after privatisation as it was privatised until 1996 as far as I can ascertain..  Great Western was privatised in 1994 although the livery change was not immediate and Eurostar ceased to be part of BR in May 1994 and its trains never ran in BR livery but in an internationally developed livery.

Still classed as current events for some of us. 

Yes, well, comparing the Scotsman with the more powerful Caerphilly Castle is not really something to celebrate with yet another model of the old girl, unless you want to commission Modelu to release a complementary set of desperate LNER engineers snooping round the Collett locomotive. I suppose one could celebrate the non-event of officially naming the 10am Scottish service known as "the Flying Scotsman" as "the Flying Scotsman". 

Other 2024 centenaries involving railways:

Lenin's funeral train:

image.png.a3bebe23fe29b4ff25aa91fa9ae1d843.png

And the LMS killing 14 people at Lytham

image.png.43d31847892c4952105990c2addc0363.png

On reflection, all in all I think we'd better wait for the Stockton & Darlington bi-entenary in 2025!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think you'll find that Gatwick Express was not the first non-BR branded passenger train operator after privatisation as it was privatised until 1996 as far as I can ascertain..  Great Western was privatised in 1994 although the livery change was not immediate and Eurostar ceased to be part of BR in May 1994 and its trains never ran in BR livery but in an internationally developed livery.

Sorry to be clear I meant GE was the first franchise to be re-branded from Intercity swallow to the IC derived GE livery while still being owned by BR, before being franchised in 1996 to National Express, in the same way as the trainload freight companies rebranded before the sale to what became EWS. 

On 28/11/2023 at 21:18, Hroth said:

So long as the Great Bear doesn't end up looking like this...

87515b6f5b7e11ccb3168353a28e5f75.jpg.d63db1a838b018690fe1a1ecd1ec173e.jpg

Tornado is said to have modernised lagging which is responsible for a little extra economy. I don’t think it ever looked quite like that! I just thought I should mention it in case Hornby gets ideas. 🤣

• Like 3

On 30/11/2023 at 14:09, Edwardian said:

Still classed as current events for some of us. 

Yes, well, comparing the Scotsman with the more powerful Caerphilly Castle is not really something to celebrate with yet another model of the old girl, unless you want to commission Modelu to release a complementary set of desperate LNER engineers snooping round the Collett locomotive. I suppose one could celebrate the non-event of officially naming the 10am Scottish service known as "the Flying Scotsman" as "the Flying Scotsman". 

Other 2024 centenaries involving railways:

Lenin's funeral train:

image.png.a3bebe23fe29b4ff25aa91fa9ae1d843.png

And the LMS killing 14 people at Lytham

image.png.43d31847892c4952105990c2addc0363.png

On reflection, all in all I think we'd better wait for the Stockton & Darlington bi-entenary in 2025!

Yes the 30th Anniversary of the Eurostar! Although Hornby first produced a model of the Eurostar BR Class 373 as HO scale gauge in 1995. A OO Gauge model first appeared in October 1996 as a train pack. (Uncatalogued in 1996)  with a OO Gauge train set followed in 1997.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 21:05, Covkid said:

Whatever is offered can we please not have the ridiculous faux oil lamps on the steam locos.

Steam locos were traditionally supplied with lamp brackets at both ends. ,It was a job of the footplate crew to put oil lamps or discs on the appropriate lamp irons to indicate it's presence.  The lamps were mostly painted black, red or white to stand out from the darkness of the smokebox. 

The obsession of adding electronic gizmos to model trains needs curbing in my opinion, particularly touching your models to switch lights on and off, whilst leaving the actual lump of plastic in place.  I suppose Margate will be looking to miniaturing the lamps and making them removable.   

I couldn't agree more. I hope Hornby are listening. I understand lamps/lights on diesels/electrics but pointless on steam.

• Agree 1

On 02/12/2023 at 17:30, davidw said:

I couldn't agree more. I hope Hornby are listening. I understand lamps/lights on diesels/electrics but pointless on steam.

Actually, if they were to put lights on some steam models I’d be happy as a modern image modeller. Mainly because steam on the mainline now usually has the same headlamp layout, black central main headlight lit, and then smaller fake lamps either lit or not either side. And as a DCC modeller if I can light them and turn them on off or even have a red light if done right I’d welcome it, but I can see how a DC modeller wouldn’t want them but why not have like a blue box company and have DC, DCC and DCC deluxe versions, no lights, fake lights and DCC lights. Our hobby is evolving and technology is at the heart of it, if it’s done well we should welcome it!  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

As a BR Blue era modeller, all I would ask for is something of quality that fits my era.  So far they have been pretty poor (I'm being generous with my language here!), and certainly nowhere near the quality of Accurascale, SLW and Cavalex; in fact not even in the same ballpark as Bachmann.

• Agree 2

On 01/12/2023 at 18:07, RyanN91 said:

The 2024 Catalogue has a Catalogue number R8164 inevitably as last years is R8163 etc previous years. I'll get mine from WHSmith, it's usually available in store on the 12th day January each year. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/Hornby-2024-catalogue-of-model-rail-new-releases-r8164/

Or in a bundle with the Hornby Magazine direct from the publisher (Key Publishing) post free or possibly at Tesco?

• Agree 1

On 02/12/2023 at 05:07, RyanN91 said:

The 2024 Catalogue has a Catalogue number R8164 inevitably as last years is R8163 etc previous years. I'll get mine from WHSmith, it's usually available in store on the 12th day January each year. 

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/Hornby-2024-catalogue-of-model-rail-new-releases-r8164/

Oh goody...  I may be able to pick one up before I come home... hopefully one of the many WH's I will pass will have one I can get my mits on for the flight home.... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, XChris said:

Actually, if they were to put lights on some steam models I’d be happy as a modern image modeller. Mainly because steam on the mainline now usually has the same headlamp layout, black central main headlight lit, and then smaller fake lamps either lit or not either side. And as a DCC modeller if I can light them and turn them on off or even have a red light if done right I’d welcome it, but I can see how a DC modeller wouldn’t want them but why not have like a blue box company and have DC, DCC and DCC deluxe versions, no lights, fake lights and DCC lights. Our hobby is evolving and technology is at the heart of it, if it’s done well we should welcome it!  

The problem appears to be that the technology is (at present) only capable of making it work by using massively overscale lamps. "Done well" is therefore not yet on offer.

IMHO, this is something that needed to be perfected (r-t-r) in O Gauge, before anybody attempted it in 4mm scale. 

Unfortunately, Hornby seems to be more interested in beating any competitor to market. It's not the first time that Hornby has come up with a good idea let down by incomplete development and inept presentation, remember Design Clever? 

Whether Hornby can fully develop their loco lighting idea before a more patient rival manages to do it properly  remains to be seen.  A case, perhaps, of "Premature Illumination"?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The problem appears to be that the technology is (at present) only capable of making it work by using massively overscale lamps. "Done well" is therefore not yet on offer.

IMHO, this is something that needed to be perfected (r-t-r) in O Gauge, before anybody attempted it in 4mm scale. 

Unfortunately, Hornby seems to be more interested in being beating any competitor to market. It's not the first time that Hornby has come up with a good idea let down by incomplete development and inept presentation, remember Design Clever? 

Whether Hornby can fully develop their loco lighting idea before a more patient rival manages to do it properly  remains to be seen.  A case, perhaps, of "Premature Illumination"?

John

Thanks. This puts across what my concern would be. It's only in recent years that 3d printing from the likes of LMS or West Hill Wagon works have produced adequately proportioned lamps. Prior to these releases the very overscale springside lamps were the only option. The Hornby lamps revert to overscale lamps on hi- fidelity models.

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, XChris said:

I think Hornby tried a high intensity headlight in the middle of the smokebox door on a Hogwarts Express loco a while ago. 🤔

i dont expect anything whizz bang new that will shake the british modelling world up like their excellent HST and Class 56 and 60 etc did when those hi-fi models were first released 15 odd years ago...........seems others have taken the mantle now on that front as far as diesel and electric releases are concerned.

Very wishful thinking here but a second stab at another Class in 87 in executive livery but with a uniform application of the red stripe 87 033 would be superb to make up for the cock up that we got on 87 009!  Accurascale, Heljan and Bachmann can all manage to do it right, I mean what was Hornby thinking anyway?

I sense a sly dig earlier at Pete Waterman not sure sure what thats all about but I like his endless enthusiasm for this hobby and think he is a great ambassador for this hobby IMHO.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 3

On 30/11/2023 at 13:30, Covkid said:

That sounds to me like asking LNER cognoscenti whether they are ever bored of Gresley and Thompson pacifics.

Erm 

Or even Peppercorn pacifics. The answer is no....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2023 at 18:07, RyanN91 said:

I got mine direct from Key last year . I’m assuming the relationship between Key and Hornby continues . This seems to have been one of the few marketing successes of recent years . availability of catalogue in High St giving more visibility of brand 

Really no idea what will appear this year . I suppose we will be getting models given the marketing nod by SK , so with his big engine policy ,I wouldn’t be surprised at Great Bear , as it’s one of the few Pacific’s remaining other than a Raven one . 

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 07:46, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, Hornby seems to be more interested in beating any competitor to market. It's not the first time that Hornby has come up with a good idea let down by incomplete development and inept presentation, remember Design Clever? 

John

Worth considering - perhaps the "other"  manufacturers already recognise that "working" oil lamps fed by light guides are realistically unachievable in OO so are happy for Hornby to plough their own furrow

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Worth considering - perhaps the "other"  manufacturers already recognise that "working" oil lamps fed by light guides are realistically unachievable in OO so are happy for Hornby to plough their own furrow

I had considered that, I do hope we are right! 😀

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/11/2023 at 05:12, QuoitsPlayer said:

Trouble is Hornby production schedule makes any anniversary pretty much pointless.