Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

7 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

For the uninitatied, what happened in 2016?

They didn't release a proper catalogue and a lot of people complained.

It was more like a rubbish "bookazine" type of thing. they then released a slightly better one with all the actual details in it when they got a backlash.

I had hoped we would get away from the "I'm better than you as I don't buy a catalogue" attitude though.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2023 at 20:16, AY Mod said:

There's an answer to, and reason for, that. 😁

It's a vile slander to claim that the GWR only owned three types of engine, and who doesn't go misty eyed at the thought of Saint King Castle Hall arriving at a country junction station where a thing shaped like a matchbox pushes identical grey wagons around while a branch line train with the loco at the wrong end simmers in the bay platform? 

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2023 at 18:30, rovex said:

As for 2024 range, thinking back to 2023, I'm thinking something with a very limited build quantity ,that was scrapped or completely rebuilt shortly after construction so has limited livery options and that only operated in a very limited part of the country.

This should fit the bill: http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/kitson/kitsonst.htm

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But that's not a pacific - so the list covers it.

"not a pacific" includes Panniers and Prairies too...

Does that mean that someone is going to suddenly roll out a "Great Bear" in January?

• Like 2

On 24/11/2023 at 18:41, Steamport Southport said:

They didn't release a proper catalogue and a lot of people complained.

It was more like a rubbish "bookazine" type of thing. they then released a slightly better one with all the actual details in it when they got a backlash.

I had hoped we would get away from the "I'm better than you as I don't buy a catalogue" attitude though.....

I lost interest in their catalogues when Cuneo passed away and there no more paintings on the cover

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

suddenly roll out a "Great Bear"

which colours to priduce it in

45 minutes ago, Seaniom said:

Fury would be epic

I really must to get to Specsavers as with all the 'odd' 'possible' 'maybes' and 'neverwazzas' liveries churned out by KR, I read that last one as 'furry' for the Great Bear, that would be really epic!!!!

• Funny 5

On 22/11/2023 at 11:52, Legend said:

the heyday for me was 65-74 , then again in 1980-81. others just merge into one another and are instantly forgettable , especially recent ones .

Me too. In fact since the 1980s I have bought just one Hornby catalogue, the 2005 issue, and I can't now for the life of me recall the reason why. It's not just that the Hornby range is such a mish-mash, from ancient to new tooling, toys to cutting-edge detail, I find the insistence on side-on views of locos and stock uninspiring. Being mainly interested in diesels didn't help either.......

On the other hand between 2003 and 2018 the purchase of Bachmann's annual catalogue was an eagerly anticipated 'Event', and the 3/4 photography (of models I may actually want to buy) had a lot to do with it.

28 minutes ago, Philou said:

I really must to get to Specsavers as with all the 'odd' 'possible' 'maybes' and 'neverwazzas' liveries churned out by KR, I read that last one as 'furry' for the Great Bear, that would be really epic!!!!

So long as the Great Bear doesn't end up looking like this...

87515b6f5b7e11ccb3168353a28e5f75.jpg.d63db1a838b018690fe1a1ecd1ec173e.jpg

• Funny 12

On 24/11/2023 at 16:16, Pmorgancym said:

Lack of appreciation of detailed differences obviously...

On 24/11/2023 at 16:16, Pmorgancym said:

Honest question. Don't you GWR guys get bored of 4-6-0's? From a visual standpoint. As a southern modeller I have all sorts available. I'd be crying out for an Aberdare or something a bit more distinctive.

Jokes about all GWR locos looking the same aside... 

Edited by Mr chapman
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Gut feeling says they'll probably do The Great Bear - it's a one-off experimental locomotive in the same vein as the Hush Hush and the Turbomotive. I also think the steamlined King will appear in the range at somepoint soon - the only streamlined steam locomotive they've not done (to my knowledge, which isn't the most extensive, so definitely could be wrong), and can reuse parts of the existing King class tooling, lowering costs. Also think they might have a OO Pannier in development, since it's one of the things they're doing for TT - cue the next duplication controversy!

Outside of the GWR, I suspect we'll get a model of Planet, as it'd fit nicely into their Era 1 niche and there's the replica to work off. 

In terms of non-locomotives, I feel like they'll do a modern version of the GWR centenary coaches - if not in the 2024 range, in 2025-2026's. Just seems to me in a similiar vein to the LMS and LNER Coronation coach sets they've done recently. 

This isn't wishlisting - this is what I suspect they'll do, based on patterns in what they've produced recently. I've had a decent track record when it comes to "predictions about what Hornby will do", so I'm pretty confident in saying atleast one of the things I mentioned will materialize in 2024's range. 

1 hour ago, The Outcast said:

Gut feeling says they'll probably do The Great Bear - it's a one-off experimental locomotive in the same vein as the Hush Hush and the Turbomotive. I also think the steamlined King will appear in the range at somepoint soon - the only streamlined steam locomotive they've not done (to my knowledge, which isn't the most extensive, so definitely could be wrong), and can reuse parts of the existing King class tooling, lowering costs. Also think they might have a OO Pannier in development, since it's one of the things they're doing for TT - cue the next duplication controversy!

Outside of the GWR, I suspect we'll get a model of Planet, as it'd fit nicely into their Era 1 niche and there's the replica to work off. 

In terms of non-locomotives, I feel like they'll do a modern version of the GWR centenary coaches - if not in the 2024 range, in 2025-2026's. Just seems to me in a similiar vein to the LMS and LNER Coronation coach sets they've done recently. 

This isn't wishlisting - this is what I suspect they'll do, based on patterns in what they've produced recently. I've had a decent track record when it comes to "predictions about what Hornby will do", so I'm pretty confident in saying atleast one of the things I mentioned will materialize in 2024's range. 

I would also add another Dublo Flying Scotsman in current condition with the white roof and a new Merchant Navy to that!

• Agree 1

Hmm, sadly my interests, eclectic though they are, seem consistently to fail to coincide with Hornby's recent output.  This means I tend to tune out of announcements, big or small, these days, which is a shame.

The last things they did that forced wallet from trousers in a big way were the Collett corridor coaches and the W4 Peckett, which I greatly admired, but that's going back a while.

I did breifly buy into the L&M range, but for me that did not really extend beyond the Royal Mail coach because recent wagon packs have been laughably bad essays in recycled tooling that suggests Hornby has just stopped making any effort with this promising line in favour of seeking money for old rope. Of course there was Lion and the strange Tiger, but if I wanted a model of the I-can't-believe-it's-not-Lion locomotive housed in the Liverpool museum, which I did, I would choose the rival product, which I did.

Hornby is undoubtedly doing good stuff still, but, I don't know why, it's not stuff that connects with me particularly.  Where my ears prick up these days is when Rapido and Accurascale make an announcement. These two seem to have a knack for choosing original and interesting, yet useful, releases, whereas the last time I recall Hornby announcing something both interesting to me and original for the steam era, as opposed to pinching interesting ideas off others, it was the W4 Pecket.

Big or small, I hope that future announcements can raise some level of excitement. Perhaps, with Kohler gone, Hornby will have some more original ideas. I hope so.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1