RMweb

Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

26 minutes ago, 64F said:

They can re-tool the Gresley pacifics as often as they like as far as I am concerned, as long as they also make accurate rakes of carriages for them to pull.  The imminent Coronation stock will be a good start.  I nominate the 1938 Flying Scotsman stock, however a BTK and CK to match the current Gresley corridor stock would help in the meantime.  Oh, and a restaurant triple...  Seriously though I do think that making accurate sets of famous trains ought to be a winner, and hopefully sales/pre-orders of the the Coronation Scot and the Coronation will justify another one next year.  If not the Scotsman then perhaps GWR Centenary stock for the Cornish Riviera.

Absolutely. Add to that the Elizabethan,  and other named expresses.  Huge gaps all regions and eras...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

42 minutes ago, 64F said:

If not the Scotsman then perhaps GWR Centenary stock for the Cornish Riviera.

Now this I could get behind, especially as when the sets were broken up the stock went into general circulation and can be used in mixed rakes (width restrictions permitting)

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 29/11/2023 at 04:19, Mr chapman said:

Honest question. Don't you GWR guys get bored of 4-6-0's? From a visual standpoint. As a southern modeller I have all sorts available. I'd be crying out for an Aberdare or something a bit more distinctive.

Jokes about all GWR locos looking the same aside... 

Aberdare, Stella, Bulldog, Railcar 18, the (wish) list is longer than you think!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing I've not seen mentioned is the Hornby "Sound and Steam" models. These are the ones fitted with a water vaporizer. I saw one on their stand at Warley and it looked really good, proper genuine puffs of smoke. I had a brief chat with the guys on the Hornby stand and these are due for release early next year. They mentioned 3 models to start, a P2 and IIRC an A4 and Coronation class. I'm very interested in theory, but I expect the price might be well north of what I'm willing to pay. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

One thing I've not seen mentioned is the Hornby "Sound and Steam" models. These are the ones fitted with a water vaporizer. I saw one on their stand at Warley and it looked really good, proper genuine puffs of smoke. I had a brief chat with the guys on the Hornby stand and these are due for release early next year. They mentioned 3 models to start, a P2 and IIRC an A4 and Coronation class. I'm very interested in theory, but I expect the price might be well north of what I'm willing to pay. 

Already announced last year!

Black Five and A3 are the first ones.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-44726-steam-generator-era-5-r30225ss

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-a3-class-flying-scotsman-steam-generator-diecast-footplate-flickering-firebox-era-4-r3991ss

Jason

• Like 3

I expect Hornby to have at least one big steam loco announcement - something to generate a bit of a splash and get people talking (I always thought that part of the advantage of doing that was that the added buzz around one model would entice people to look at the others in the range: a "headline grabber" has more value than just its own sales).

To that end, and at least as far as steam is concerned, in my view there aren't that many contenders left:

LNER
Raven A2 (I think this one is more or less inevitable at some point in the next five years, and made by someone; I just don't know who)
Gresley P1

LMS

Unrebuilt Royal Scot
Rebuilt Jubilee
7F 0-8-0
(A retooled 8F also has to be a contender, especially given the design work done on the Black 5, but is it likely to be the flagship announcement?)

GWR
Great Bear
Streamlined King
Saint

SR
U class
Z class

BR
Standard 3 2-6-0

This is not a wishlist - it contains a fair bit I'm uninterested in - but represents a "best guess" at a big flagship steam model release.

I'm not trying to guess reliveries, although as some have pointed out already, there are some screaming to be done - olive green Schools and Adams Radial are astute observations (I myself have held off from buying an Adams Radial until I can get one in that condition). Nor am I considering somewhat smaller engines - although, again, there are some contenders that seem likely within the next 5 years: the Aberdare, the LNER E4, the Stanier 3MT, the LB&SCR L class and the LNER D40/SECR G class. This last would give you a locomotive that can run in GNoS, SECR, LNER, SR, British Railways and BR early crest liveries!

My prediction is that something off this list will appear. But I have no idea what!*

Regards,
G

*Please let it be a Raven A2. I really, really want one...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My firmer guesses, but definitely not all of them, and probably no more than one that figures on my personal wish-list. I fervently hope to be proved wrong on the last point, though!

Full-fat Retools and additional variations to existing models

• Tornado plus a proper Peppercorn A1. Bachmann has tarried too long just as they did with the Lord Nelson.
  • Rebuilt Merchant Navy with at least one of the "missing tenders" allowing the representation of the first-series locos, 35001-10. 
  • Crosti and ex-Crosti 9F.
  • Duke of Gloucester sneaks onto the list, if only because the prototype is expected back on the main line in 2024.

Exploiting existing tooling differently:

• Schools 30911 and 30921 with LN tenders, 1961/2.
  • Air-smoothed wide-cab BB/WC with cut-down 4500 gallon tender.
  • Air-smoothed MN with choice of cut-down tenders.

All-new:

• I wouldn't rule out a Hornby U, but my gut feeling is one will come in a wildly oversized box. 😇
  • The Z is a popular class, but a W or H16 would be more useful on most layouts IMHO.
  • A GWR Bulldog, possibly more than one variety thereof.
  • Full fat 14xx, which will probably be duplicated by A.N. Other.
  • I reckon a De Glehn Atlantic would beat The Great Bear.
  •   BR 2MT 2-6-2T and possibly the Ivatt equivalent. Bachmann left the door open and tooling for both would make sense.
  • LMS: Fowler and/or Stanier 3MT prairie. Austin 7, Original Scot, Rebuilt Jubilee, as already mentioned.

John 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2024 reintroductions it's all mostly "the big four" and British Railways and British Rail.

Reintroduced into or now as part of the RailRoad range. 

RailRoad Plus Steam locomotives

GNR Class J13/LNER Class J52 

GWR County Class 10xx 4-6-0

GWR County Class 38xx 4-4-0 

LMS Class 5XP 'Patriot' 4-6-0 LMS Crimson 

Southern Schools SR V Class 4-4-0 in SR Bulleid Green

BR Standard Class 8 4-6-2 "Duke of Gloucester"

RailRoad Plus Diesel and Electric locomotives

BR Class 33 (BR Green) 

BR Class 33 (BR Blue) 

BR Class 37 (Original BR Green livery)   

BR Class 37 (1960s BR Blue livery)

BR Class 47 (BR InterCity Executive livery)

BR Class 47 (BR INTERCITY Swallow livery)

BR Class 90 (BR INTERCITY Swallow livery)

BR Class 90 (BR Railfreight livery)

RailRoad Plus DMU/EMU/DEMU/EDMU

GWR Diesel Railcar - Express Parcels

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Western England Chocolate/Cream livery)

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Greater Manchester PTE Brown/Orange livery)

BR Class 142 Pacer Railbus (Provincial Sector Blue/blue livery) 

RailRoad Plus Rolling stock 

Royal Mail Travelling Post Office Coach (Operating Mail Coach) 1970s/1980s/1990s/2000s livery 

Royal Mail Ancillary Coach

GWR Centenary coaches

2 Composite

2 break 

Main Range Reintroduced and New Tooling's

Steam locomotives New Tooling's and reintroductions 

LMS Fury Class 6399 4-6-0 (new tooling)

Southern Schools SR V Class 4-4-0 in SR Bulleid Green

Southern Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 "Golden Arrow" (Original)

Southern Battle of Britain Class 4-6-2 "Golden Arrow" (Rebuilt)

New tool LMS Hughes Crab 2-6-0

LMS BR Princess Class 4-6-2 'Lady Patricia' 46210 in BR Blue locomotive 

BR 38XX Class 2-8-0 locomotive

BR 4-6-2 Standard Class 8 "Duke of Gloucester" locomotive 

Diesel / Electric locomotives 

BR Class 08 shunter 08644 "Laira Diesel Depot" in BR blue. Locomotive 

BR Class 92 (1992 - 1996 BR Railfreight livery)

Rolling stock

Passenger Rolling Stock 

Three Original livery BR INTERCITY Swallow livery BR MK4 First Class carriages 1988 - 1997 (with the correct tooling of non-roof-vents on the roofing)

Pullman coaches

Pullman 12 Wheel 3rd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 12 Wheel 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 12 Wheel 1st Class Brake Car

Pullman 1st Class Parlour Car

Pullman 3rd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Brake Car

Pullman 1st Class Parlour Car

Pullman 2nd Class Parlour Car

Pullman 1st Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Kitchen Car

Pullman 3rd Class Brake Car 

Pullman Bar Car

Pullman, Standard 'K' Type 'New Century Bar' Car

Freight / Maintenace rolling stock

BR Motorail Car Transporter (Cartic) With 8 Scale autos Cars

Train Packs

Steam 

Rainhill Trials continued

New Tool "Novelty" 0-2-2 

New Tool "Sans Pareil" 0-4-0

Reintroduced in the exact same 2020 packaging and catalogue number R3810 Stephenson's "Rocket" 0-2-2 train pack. With three Liverpool and Manchester Railway 4-wheel coaches. 

Diesel and Electric, DMU, EMU, DEMU, EDMU

BR Class 446 Connex Suburban Train 

Class 165/1 Networker Turbo (new tooling)

Class 166 Networker Turbo (new tooling)

Class 387/1 Electrostar (new tooling)

HSTs 

British Rail Engineering Limited (BREL) Crewe Works and Crewe Heritage Centre Train Pack. Class 43 HST Power Cars Train pack.

43002 power car as appeared in the rare BR InterCity 125 BR Black and Yellow livery as appeared at the Crewe Works on the open day in September 1975. With power car 43018 "The Red Cross" that arrived at the Crewe Heritage Centre on 24 October 2020. Where it was restored and unveiled on March 1 2022, in its original built date appearance of June 1976, as preserved in its Original BR Blue Yellow livery at the Crewe Heritage Centre since 2022.

BR Class 254 InterCity 125 Eastern Region. Consisting of a train pack two BR Class 43 HST power cars in original BR Blue Yellow (Eastern Region) with an additional rake of 8 BR MK3 coaches separately.

InterCity 125 in BR INTERCITY Swallow livery 

Train pack BR Class 43 HST power cars in BR INTERCITY Swallow livery with an additional rake of 7 or 8 BR MK3 coaches separately. (depending on which ever service/ BR region etc that it is)

CrossCountry XC HST Farewell Train Packs

43007 (ex 43207) CrossCountry XC in BR InterCity 125 livery

43184 (ex 43384) CrossCountry XC in BR InterCity Executive livery

with the additional separate 8 MK3s coaches 

43008 (ex 43208) CrossCountry XC BR INTERCITY Swallow livery

43366 CrossCountry XC Livery with its “HST 40” nameplate. 

with the additional separate 8 MK3s coaches 

APT-P 

BR Class 370 APT-P sets "370 005" and "370 006" contents: 48105 DTS and 48106 DTS, (NDM 49005), (TBF 48605) and (TBF 48606) in the Final BR APT-P livery, with black window surrounds and the final APT-P livery the typeface British Rail "Double Arrow" logo in black lining only with "InterCity" logo filled in black and "APT" filled in red with the red stripe along both of the DTS'. With an additional separate NDM 49006 (if it's a five-car pack, included If it's a seven-car pack included with APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204/977527) and 4 carriage coach packs of two as follows...

(TS 48205 with TS 48206) 

(TU 48305 with TU 48306)

(TF 48505 with TF 48506)

(TRSB 48405 with TRSB 48406)

To enable and complete and create the full 14 coach rake train of sets 370 005 and 370 006. 

Crewe Heritage Centre BR Class 370 APT-P train pack (as preserved) 7 car train pack.

48103 DTS 370 003

48106 DTS 370 006

48404 TRSB

48603 TBF

49002 NDM

48602 TBF

49006 NDM

BR Class 370 APT-P DTS 370 007 48107 (standalone)

BR Class 370 APT-P TBF 48607 - Trailer Brake First (standalone)

BR Class 370, InterCity APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204/977527.

InterCity 225

LNER InterCity 225 BR LNER Class 91 locomotive in LNER InterCity livery with an additional separate LNER BR MK4 DVT and nine LNER BR MK4 coaches.

Eurostar 

Eurostar BR Class 373 in the original Eurostar livery. (30th Anniversary Edtion/limited edition in retro 1990s Hornby Railways era packaging)

With separate divisible coach twin pack.

Like the wonderful "Hornby Dublo Remembered" and the "Tri-Ang Remembered" ranges. 

An additional range of locomotives, sets, packs rolling stock etc dedicated from the "Hornby Railways Remembered" eras from the beginning in 1972 all the way through the various different logos, box artworks designs etc until the years 1996, 1997 and 1998, In retro packaging.

Regards,

Ryan.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

A special 11th anniversary set for the Great Gathering!

Actually we've had announcements for the LMS and LNER special passenger sets.

Plenty of Pullmans for the Southern.

If it were to be GWR this year the options are Cornish Riviera stock, Centenary stock or the Super Saloons. Of these the least useful to modellers are the Super Saloons, so no doubt Hornby will go for those.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, rovex said:

A special 11th anniversary set for the Great Gathering! *

Actually we've had announcements for the LMS and LNER special passenger sets.

Plenty of Pullmans for the Southern.  #

If it were to be GWR this year the options are Cornish Riviera stock, Centenary stock or the Super Saloons. Of these the least useful to modellers are the Super Saloons, so no doubt Hornby will go for those.

* Presumably to be followed up with a 12th Anniversary set in 2025.

# Personally, I have more Hornby Pullmans that I know what to do with already. After the Devon Belle finished in 1954, the only ones seen on my bit of the Southern were four or five forming the occasional Royal working.

A full range of Centenaries would be very impressive, and, unlike the LMS and LNER streamliner sets, they were employed on several services and routes.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I thought we weren't wish-listing 😄

I suspect the 2024 announcements will be slimmed down from previous years - some stuff will have been in the works prior to Simon Kohler going and might from a cash-flow point of view be slowed down. 

It would be nice to see loads of items released, but I don't see it this year.

I could add loads of items that I fancy being released... loads of Great Western locos and carriage stock that need updating etc. But on this occasion I doubt it.

Instead, what we will probably see is the new direction for Hornby - lots of froth to assure the shareholders and hopefully the company returning to profit. That in itself, will then assure us that Hornby are back in the game and will be producing an even mix of locos and carriages over the next couple of years.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1