Model World Live 27 / 28 April 2024 NEC

woodenhead

We had a great time yesterday. Some things I can remember;

- Whoever had the idea for the paint-a-racing-car for kids was an absolute genius, my totally-train-agnostic daughter loved it and has been playing with her car since yesterday. There were a few kids outside the hall yesterday zooming them about on the smooth floors, presumably waiting for parents still inside :-)

- Oscar's little N gauge layout was fantastic; it was absolutely stuffed with interesting things. This layout and its little list of things to find probably held our collective attention the longest of all the railway things, probably beaten only by the trucks because of all the huge-trucks-careering-down-the-hill shenanigans.

- The guy scratch building the Star Wars ship has patience I could only aspire to with all the teeny tiny details, I'm sure it'll look epic when it's done.

- The whole concept of actual working model jets still amazes me.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Whoever had the idea for the paint-a-racing-car for kids was an absolute genius, my totally-train-agnostic daughter loved it and has been playing with her car since yesterday. There were a few kids outside the hall yesterday zooming them about on the smooth floors, presumably waiting for parents still inside :-)

Pine car racing is huge in the USA - Scout groups organise races as well as others. I'd not seen it before until I visited the Bachmann MCC store, and now really fancy a go myself!

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinewood_derby

Could this be the push that makes it as popular in the UK?

• Informative/Useful 4

15 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

You may think it was only a small part in a big show, but being in charge of chairs was an important part for both visitors and exhibitors !!

Even the guy cleaning the toilets at Cape Canaveral was helping to put a man on the moon ......................... 👍

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sir Roland Matthews said:

Thank you! You will Nene much more at shows than me for this year, and credit to her for thinking of the socks. It is a good partnership, I know about the about the trains and she knows the best way to use the artwork!

I did say to her I wanted a kids version of the Land Rover socks!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/04/2024 at 17:20, ruggedpeak said:

However anyone else attempting a world record, go analogue! DCC is not suited to huge layouts.

That must come as a shock to those who set up those gargantuan modular meets in the US on a year in, year out basis.  Two countries separated by a common physics 😇

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

That must come as a shock to those who set up those gargantuan modular meets in the US on a year in, year out basis.  Two countries separated by a common physics 😇

I wondered whether Freemo setups count for largest transportable layout?

If not, why not?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I wondered whether Freemo setups count for largest transportable layout?

If not, why not?

"Making Tracks has to meet a number of criteria to qualify as a Guinness World Record including being measured to within 0.001m, being a single scale model, prove that it is portable, be built to a professional standard as well including details of the number of trains, loops, track length, concurrent locomotive movements and all tracks being used. All of this will be judged and adjudicated at Model World LIVE."

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/making-tracks-attempts-official-world-record

Modular layouts are unlikely to be considered a "single scale model" under the GWR rules as they are multiple separate layouts joined together. The fact they can be joined together in numerous different number of ways due to the use of a standard for inter-connectivity as well as multiple ownership probably precludes them being a single layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 29/04/2024 at 12:57, Phil Himsworth said:

We had a great time yesterday. 

- The guy scratch building the Star Wars ship has patience I could only aspire to with all the teeny tiny details, I'm sure it'll look epic when it's done.

Your welcome and glad you enjoyed it. The only secret is enjoying it.

20200109_154148.jpg

• Like 2

Hello to anyone who went to the KEYMODELWORLD event last weekend - I am hoping one of you can help me.

I was so busy operating my Chinese HO layout, BEIJIAO, that I had no time to take any photographs and in particular we ran a GUEST loco on Sunday which we have never run before and will probably never run again - and I don't have any photo of it 😕

It was this very rare model of a Chinese streamlined pacific - if anyone has a photo of it in action, could they please post it here - thanks. And, YES, I know that my layout is set in 2001 and, YES, I know that loco would have been in a museum long before then 😉

IMG_20240409_125655.jpg.614e7cdc030e86eb9393fb7fa197c1fe.jpg

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2024 at 19:51, ruggedpeak said:

Modular layouts are unlikely to be considered a "single scale model" under the GWR rules as they are multiple separate layouts joined together. The fact they can be joined together in numerous different number of ways due to the use of a standard for inter-connectivity as well as multiple ownership probably precludes them being a single layout.

I thought Making Tracks was 3 separate layouts joined up for one time only in that configuration?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I thought Making Tracks was 3 separate layouts joined up for one time only in that configuration?

Something to discuss with Guinness World Records, they adjudicated it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2024 at 19:51, ruggedpeak said:

Ok so a couple of my modular layouts are one layout that can be arranged in different ways depending on the hall but it’s still one layout to one theme. I do group modular layouts too but the two personal layouts use the same principal so the standard for inter connectivity has nothing to do with precluding them. At the end of the day whichever arrangement they are assembled in the line length, trains and physical area are identical! 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PaulRhB said:

Ok so a couple of my modular layouts are one layout that can be arranged in different ways depending on the hall but it’s still one layout to one theme. I do group modular layouts too but the two personal layouts use the same principal so the standard for inter connectivity has nothing to do with precluding them. At the end of the day whichever arrangement they are assembled in the line length, trains and physical area are identical! 

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

Something to discuss with Guinness World Records, they adjudicated it.

On 28/04/2024 at 21:02, Liam said:

Next to us at Dagnell End was Beckwick, a Southern Region layout by the Beckenham and West Wickham Model Railway Club. I got chatting to their members which included some of the members’ sons, and one of the operators told me that the lads get involved in all sorts of modelling jobs on the layouts. With that sort of setup there is clearly a future for the hobby. 

Hiya, I was one of the operators on Beckwick! The kids were great at operating with us at the weekend. Previously we've left them to it, and received similar comments about how well they do it! It may have been me that you spoke to (possibly, but I've slept since then)! 

Nathan..

• Like 1