Model World Live 27 / 28 April 2024 NEC

woodenhead

Just got back (and finished my supper).

Overall, that was quite a good show. It wasn't quite as general a 'general' modelling show as I'd expected - I'd say 60%  model railways, 30% plastic kit modelling (mostly aircraft, smaller amounts of soldiers, vehicles, ships, sci-fi), a display  of large radio controlled aircraft (including a really nice Sopwith Camel and a Hunter) and a RC truck demonstration where they shipped (real) earth around a track. Model engineering was confined to the gauge 1 steamers (which i can watch for hours) and a rather nice large scale Ruston 48DS.

Layouts were a pretty good selection - 'Making tracks' was massive as expected, and is mostly a model of Milton Keynes Central and part of Watford Junction, with lots of watching the trains go by on either side. Seemed to run OK when I saw it, and was surrounded by big crowds. Got the World record, although that kind of thing always seems a bit lacking these days without Norris McWhiter and Roy Castle there to award it....

Trade was mostly railway orientated. Most of the people you'd expect (Squires, Bill Hudson, DC Kits, H&A, Bachmann, Heljan etc) were there. 

So a pretty good show for people who want model railways, and to look at some 'other' modelling. Enough model railways for people who only want model railways to not feel like they've had a wasted day. 

If you want to see dozens of 1:48 Sea Harrier FRS.1s then you are in luck. If you went wanting RC aircraft or boats, you'd probably be a tad disappointed.

If you are me, who does model railways and builds a few aircraft kits as a sideline, and likes to look at other people's modelling of any variety then it's a pretty good day out. Hopefully the show becomes a regular thing. 

Edited by pete_mcfarlane
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Glad I didn't go then, after Milton Keynes last year no thanks.

However, well done to Key, big crowds are what they needed to pay for this and big crowds they have got then.

Got to the hall about 9.00am after a long trek, must be the hall furthest from the station.  I was I think in about the first hundred or two advance ticket holders. Ticket was scanned by 9.16am (I think 3 or 4 scanners in use) and all lined up and let in about 9.30am . A NEC staff member was actively calling out for VIP ticket holders and they got in first. Didn't look behind me but all seemed to be handled very well.

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

@Gilbert What was in this roped off area, it just seems to be an empty space

image.png.96e37037553aaf3cdc75b8f57fc7a370.png

Two restored tracked military vehicles from Midland Military Vehicles. not much information displayed but more in the free magazine size guide.

Andrew 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@Gilbert What was in this roped off area, it just seems to be an empty space

image.png.96e37037553aaf3cdc75b8f57fc7a370.png

Cvr(t) a Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance  (tracked) wirh a FV 430 armoured personnel carrier.

You can use both on public roads..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Long queue on arrival, but we were through the door at 09:30 as it moved quickly once the doors were opened.

OK, the big layout was obviously having major problems all day, maybe today will be better for them. But it was well worth the trip for the quality of the other layouts, many from northern parts that I would not get to see otherwise. I also appreciate the fine modelling skills of the other disciplines on show, and spent lots of time viewing them. I do prefer the diarama's to just planes sitting on a table though. The big RC trucks are also entertaining to watch.

The prime mover for the trailer with the class 37 on was also an exhibit, polished and emmaculate for a 2017 number plate.

The entrance queue passed the NECs mobility centre with lots of mobility scooters, presumeably for hire, but it was a long walk from the station to get to it.

I enjoyed going to the show yesterday. As others have mentioned, the dispays of aircraft on their own did do much for me, as there was often no explaination to say if they were kits or scratch bit. The dioramas were much better and the radio controlled trucks looked like a lot of fun. 

For OO and O gauge railway modellers there were a lot of non-railway kits and 3D prints that they could use. Not so much in N Gauge although I did buy a 3D printed WW II aircrew hut for the layout to be use as a general shed type building. I didn't get the associated Spitfire and crew. So for next year, can we have some N Gauge dinosaurs and darleks please!

Nick 

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Cvr(t) a Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance  (tracked) wirh a FV 430 armoured personnel carrier.

You can use both on public roads..

Baz

Probably ideal with some of the pot holes we have round here 

• Agree 2

I'm pleased this exhibition appears to have gone down well, after the shock of January things are rocking and rolling again in the world of modelling.

I would have liked to have gone, but as I've probably mentioned I don't so much like crowds these days, Key seems to attract them (which is good) and after the last Milton Keynes I am a little more reticent about attending, though the comments here suggest that the extra room that the NEC can offer has meant it wasn't so crowded perhaps in the halls.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That was great fun, going to the NEC for a model a show with no concerns of organising a show ( I only did a very small part of Warley NEC show for 20 years).

Met loads of friends bothsides of the barriers/ shop front and away a with a little bag of purchases.

When I left just before 14.00 the scanner staff were taking a quick break around empty show guide bins.   Hall well filled and with good width walkways  circulation was easily possible.   The welcome addition of the other magazine content certainly will help crossover of skills  and bought in some new traders. 

Mike Wild and crew deserve a big thanks for the leap of faith and executing a good show, certainly dates for 2025 show in guide as26/27 April 2025. 

Thank you ! 

Robert  

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

Yup... enjoyed that.

Came away with a couple of bits... managed to avoid buying a couple of completely inappropriate locos but did get the answers to so electronic queries on the DC Concepts stand so all in all a good day out.

The ice cream was also amazing!

On 21/04/2024 at 21:15, 298 said:

I think Beijiao will do well, from memory the trains and layouts at previous mixed events looked drab and dour when compared to other more exciting action models, and visually only really on a par with static military models. 

It was proven a couple of weeks ago at the South Notts Show that something different looking will find favour with the public, members of the hosting club voted for a nicely built N gauge layout (I'd describe it as a tailchaser but it wasn't) as their favourite but the public voted for an American switching layout set at night that had hundreds of individual LEDs because it wasn't like anything seen before.

For info-

The judging committee for "best in show" is one club member, one local resident who is not a club member, and one non-member expert, who this year was Tony Wright.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos as usual

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I'm pleased this exhibition appears to have gone down well, after the shock of January things are rocking and rolling again in the world of modelling.

I would have liked to have gone, but as I've probably mentioned I don't so much like crowds these days, 

You would have been fine as the show is well spread out on one level not like GETS at all. Enjoyed the mixed modelling idea and my only criticism is the long walk from the station bearing in mind the older demographic of our hobby. Certainly be going back next year. Really pleased for Pete and the Railnuts getting the record and being featured on the Midlands news, I'm sure this boosted the attendance.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You would have been fine as the show is well spread out on one level not like GETS at all. Enjoyed the mixed modelling idea and my only criticism is the long walk from the station bearing in mind the older demographic of our hobby. Certainly be going back next year. Really pleased for Pete and the Railnuts getting the record and being featured on the Midlands news, I'm sure this boosted the attendance.

Sherry in Torquay had seen a news item w Pete Waterman (so not just Midlands news) - her comment was "We should go!" As she doesn't walk v well I may have to manage her expectations....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes it was a schlepp from the station toHall 12. But …at least for me….an opportunity to reconnect with those I’ve not seen for quite a while…Alex,now of Accurascale and Paul of the same chapter,whose creative talents make it possible to upgrade our game to maybe levels previously unheard of. The Accurascale Stand provided opportunities to observe and discuss and I took advantage of that…Many thanks. Also worthy of appreciation is the Heljan stand,ably chaperoned by Ben Jones who kindly steered me to a purchase of what must surely be the bargain of the show ..which was a Class 25 with a remarkable price tag on the day of £ 127:90.

Also worthy for future reference is the development of Ellis Clarke Trains.In OO scale.Both the QuadArts and the WD are demonstrating that they are worth a punt . I enjoyed my day. I hope all who attended or participated in some way will feel as I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m gutted, I arranged time off work at the weekend so I could go, but engineering work on the real railway made the journey impossible. ☹️☹️☹️

• Friendly/supportive 1

I attended the show on Saturday as a punter (I did feel £19 was a tad steep in comparison to GETS but there was a lot more variety here than at GETS) but I also helped out a bit with Dagnell End.

It isn’t Warley and is noticeably smaller and more compact than Warley (at least in terms of the model railways), but to me it had the atmosphere of a medium sized show with the addition of the manufacturers and publishers.

Next to us at Dagnell End was Beckwick, a Southern Region layout by the Beckenham and West Wickham Model Railway Club. I got chatting to their members which included some of the members’ sons, and one of the operators told me that the lads get involved in all sorts of modelling jobs on the layouts. With that sort of setup there is clearly a future for the hobby. 

I also briefly chatted to Pete Waterman and witnessed him receive his Guinness World Records certificate - at one point he seemed quite emotional, but he was clearly overjoyed with his achievement.

But what struck me most about this show more than others I’ve attended recently is that the passion for the hobby seemed a lot more noticeable; from the crowds gathered around Making Tracks to really friendly operators and a real sense of pride in the hobby and the creations therein, there seemed to be a really positive atmosphere at the show yesterday which I haven’t felt for a while. I’m seriously thinking of attending Beckenham’s show in October after the crew I spoke to were so engaging.

All in all, a good show!

IMG_2025.jpeg.7fe608bb4474e6f96b9786106ae59b18.jpeg

• Like 6

Went today and thoroughly enjoyed it and was better than I expected not knowing what to expect really. Speaking to one of the traders said yesterday it was so busy that they ran out of wristbands and apparently it’s on for the next 4 years aswel. 

cheers Craig 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

I only did a very small part of Warley NEC show for 20 years

You may think it was only a small part in a big show, but being in charge of chairs was an important part for both visitors and exhibitors !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/04/2024 at 10:24, Chrisr40 said:

Bought my wife some of your socks, she loves them

Thank you, and nice to see you! I think that my favourite interactions are with customers who buy something as a gift, and although they might be certain that they love it, they are sceptical that the recipient will like it as much as they do, and then we get the feedback that the recipient did indeed love it too!

It happens a lot with the cushion covers!

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2024 at 09:25, Sir Roland Matthews said:

I will be attending with my On The Rails stand and bringing with me some new items and show exclusives such as a locomotive birthday garland and wooden pin badges of locos, aircraft and cars. I have drawn some of the stock operating on the WCML for a new t-shirt too and I am hoping that they will be ready in time. 

Thank you as always to anyone who has supported our small venture before and helped us grow to such a level where we are able to attend events of this size, including A.P. in March and then again with Warners for the new November show. 

Christmas Directory.png

I had a chat with the young lady on the stand and bought 2 pairs of socks for my daughter who was very pleased with them. I really liked the Class 37 entering the station Xmas card, will get some of those later in the year.

• Friendly/supportive 1

34 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

I had a chat with the young lady on the stand and bought 2 pairs of socks for my daughter who was very pleased with them. I really liked the Class 37 entering the station Xmas card, will get some of those later in the year.

Thank you! You will Nene much more at shows than me for this year, and credit to her for thinking of the socks. It is a good partnership, I know about the about the trains and she knows the best way to use the artwork!

• Like 1