Exclusive NCB liveried Bagnall via Rapido.

AY Mod

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Darius43 said:

just love the look of these locos

I'm mounting a subversive campaign for more Bagnalls.

Big

image.png

And small.

image.png

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Funny story - the restoration was fast-tracked (other expressions available in 1977), because the other Bagnall,  sister engine 'Victor', was out of service at the time and a second working steam loco was needed in a hurry for the filming of the second series of the children's TV series 'The Flockton Flyer'.

'Victor' played the part of a loco owned by the evil Baron in a high-stakes race with the 'Flockton Flyer' itself, aka 6412.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

And small.

image.png

Now there's a model I'd love to have!

I recall once being evening shed supervisor at Boston Lodge during a gala, every single loco on the railway (FR and visiting) had gone off to take part in a cavalcade runpast, except Sea Lion which was allegedly not quite the right gauge to be allowed on the main line. I had a load of shunting to do to prepare for all the other locos coming back, so I commandeered it! What an absolutely beautiful loco to drive, a comfortable seat and everything within easy reach - someone had studied ergonomics back then. And despite being the wrong gauge it negotiated all the ropey track in Boston Lodge perfectly well.

Mol

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/12/2023 at 08:37, AY Mod said:

it will be fitted with an ESU Nano chip and a bespoke electronic setup to help with smooth running on DCC.

What does the "bespoke electronic setup" entail? Are we talking Stay Alive here?

I've never heard of a Nano chip before.  What sort of fitting is it - Next 18 or hardwired, or whatever?

I would like some more information in order to decide whether or not to go for a sound-fitted one. If it does have a Stay Alive then I'd go for sound-fitted. But if not, I would fit a decoder that can take a Stay Alive, that is assuming other decoders can be fitted at all, and if a SA can be got in there. I imagine it's all going to be extremely tight on space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Big

image.png

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

The Bagnall I have in mind comes between them.  One of those from Stoke on Trentshire with a Geisl ejector, and it is preserved too

.This is an excerpt from the Scaleforum

My research has identified that eighteen of these beasts were built between 1942 and 1955 initial being sent to Preston Docks and a variety of collieries.
16" x 24" Bagnall 0-6-0 saddle tank.
Build number Name Destination Date despatched
1 2680 No 4 Birchwood Coal and Coke 12/1942
2 2681 William Sneyd Collieries 12/1942
3 2682 Princess Preston Docks 02/1942
4 2818 No 17 Norton & Biddulph Collieries 08/1945
5 2838 Energy Preston Docks 6-7/1946
6 2839 Perseverance Preston Docks 6-7/1946
7 2840 Enterprise Preston Docks 6-7/1946
8 2891 Process Preston Docks 11-12/1948
9 2892 Courageous Preston Docks 11-12/1948
10 2893 Conqueror Preston Docks 11-12/1948
11 2991 No 1 Florence Colliery 09/1950
12 2992 No 3 NCB Deep Pit Unit. 08/1950
13 3059 Florence No 2 Florence Colliery 01/1954
14 3060 Sneyd No 4 Sneyd Colliery 02/1954
15 3061 NCB No 6 Rawdon Colliery 10/1954
16 3075 Berry Hill No 4 Berry Hill Colliery 11/1954
17 3077 Hem Heath No 1 Florence Colliery 6-7/1955
18 3078 Hem Heath No 2 Hem Heath Colliery 6-7/1955

This is a rather large hint to RapidoAndy !!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Covkid said:

16" x 24" Bagnall 0-6-0 saddle tank.

Were Vulcan and Victor this type?

They were two of three, works numbers 2994-6 I believe,  built for Steel Company of Wales at Margam c1950-51 and bought by Austin in 1957 to replace the two USA S100 tanks then in use at Longbridge. 

Answering my own question, I think the SCoW order were the only three built to the 'New Standard' design. Others had a round top saddle tank like the Austerity.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Were Vulcan and Victor this type?

They were two of three, works numbers 2994-6 I believe,  built for Steel Company of Wales at Margam c1950-51 and bought by Austin in 1957 to replace the two USA S100 tanks then in use at Longbridge. 

Answering my own question, I think the SCoW order were the only three built to the 'New Standard' design. Others had a round top saddle tank like the Austerity.

There were certainly three built, one ended up in a colliery setting in South Wales and I think it sustained damage and was then scrapped, the other two going to Longbridge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

one ended up in a colliery setting in South Wales

I believe that one, Bagnall works no. 2995, was not well cared for and sustained damage to the steel firebox. 

Longbridge locos were well maintained, they needed four in steam to operate the works and generally had five on the books at a time. They also had to shunt traffic across and along the Halesowen Branch to get to different parts of the works so were 'Big Railway' approved.

Austin 1 is still running in the heritage sector, having been bought new from Kitson in 1932 and remaining at Longbridge for 40 years

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/12/2023 at 19:16, Ruston said:

What does the "bespoke electronic setup" entail? Are we talking Stay Alive here?

I've never heard of a Nano chip before.  What sort of fitting is it - Next 18 or hardwired, or whatever?

Could someone please answer this? @AY Mod?