RMweb

Formula 1 2024

didcot

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, didcot said:

Pretty sure. It's quite a tight shot.

20180513_124415.jpg.2c58eeebc454dadc4e48a0cdb97ec16c.jpg

Caught both Prost and Senna after the overtake. The concertina effect makes them look closer together. 

20180513_124421.jpg.0b14292bcf1a45bf7892d9c83b23457b.jpg

And then Damon Hill.

It must have been before braking zone then while he was still a couple of cars length behind Prost, as he didn't actually take Prost until turning into the Melbourne hairpin, he was side by side in the braking zone. Senna, Prost and Hill were in a train on the exit.

• Like 4

Great news re Lando contract extension, moving to Red Bull would have been a bad move for him while Verstappen is there. If Max throws in the towel in 2028 and Lando hasn't sealed the championship in  the Mclaren by then he can still jump ship if Red Bull are the leading team.

• Agree 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:41, Darius43 said:

Driver and YouTuber Steve Alvarez Brown painted a worrying picture of what could become the new normal in 2026.

He tweeted: “The VISA Cash App RB overtakes the Mastercard Mobil 1 McLaren driven by Oscar Peroni Piastri.

“Meanwhile it’s Max Heineken Verstappen taking the win at the Aramco-Coca Cola London Grand Prix, his 12th win of the season on street circuits.

“Alex AWS Albon crashes at the Amazon Prime Parabolica in his Bet365 Casio-Powertrains Williams during the Louis Vuitton Italian GP. This triggers the Monster Energy red flag and the second Deliveroo safety car of the race.”

If that happens I’ll have more free weekend time, having given up watching F1.

Darius

There is a precedent with the driver's names, John Bachelor raced as John B&Q in the BTCC... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Batchelor_(racing)

• Like 1

I would suggest that anyone interested should read the full judgement from F1. It’s a damning inditement  of Andretti’s attitude and understanding of the technical challenge.

I’m with F1 on this one.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, didcot said:

Very true @Hroth

If is true doesn't Lewis know Ferrari is where world champions go to retire. 

The BBC are reporting it too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68163799

but

Several sources say claims of links between the seven-time champion and Ferrari should be taken seriously, but a deal is not yet confirmed.

Perhaps he might go on a "free transfer" for a year.  Or it's a negotiating ploy with the moneymen at Merc?

I wonder which sauces have been imbibed.  Too much gin perhaps?  🤪

• Like 3

Change has to come sometime, Russell was always meant to be the apprentice waiting to take over from the master.

It will massively help Mercedes I would imagine if it can get a junior to Russell over the cost of employing Hamilton.

For Hamilton it's probably the last opportunity to drive for Ferrari before he does retire, maybe he recognises this against challenging Verstappen at Mercedes who is still on the ascedence with RB and the other teams trying to catch up.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Why would he want to do that? He has nothing to gain. He has plenty of money & should know by now that Ferrari is never the place to be for a world title. Their management structure has been incapable of supporting a winning team since Jean Todt left & shows no sign of improving in the near future.

Mercedes finished above Ferrari in 2023 & he finished above both of their drivers, even though the general feeling is that Mercedes had a bad year.

There has ben a constant stream of F1 trash in the media this winter. It seems to be getting worse each year, with many stories being repeated from years ago without acknowledging they are recycled.

I will not believe anything until I see pre-season testing & even then, there will be updates before the first race.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had an approach on LinkedIn yesterday dangling the carrot for another Document Controller role. I sent it to my bosses just to let them know I was in demand.

I suspect LH may be doing similar.

Does not do any harm keeping the high ups on their toes 😉

EDIT: I see this is post #88 on this topic, those who know me from the past would recognise the significance of this race number .....

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 2

Lewis has made no secret of his desire to race for Ferrari at some point in his career. He knows exactly what Mercedes have to offer over the next couple of years but with a new car for ‘24 development will be needed to get it performing well. He also knows that Ferrari were the closest challenger to RB and are probably well placed to challenge in the short term.

He won’t be doing it for the money and really has nothing to prove  but there is a chance to take the challenge to RB and maybe win in a red car. It’s an opportunity worth taking..

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Mercedes have called a meeting at 2pm with Toto and James Allison; we shall see. I'd be surprised, as much for the collaborations they have off the track.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

He has plenty of money & should know by now that Ferrari is never the place to be for a world title.

If I may, whilst Ferrari, like all teams, have their ups and downs, I beg you to consider that you may be mistaken in your view. 16 Constructors titles and 15 drivers titles suggest otherwise.

Mr. Hamilton is no fool and, as many have said, has nothing to prove but possibly he, like many in the sport, feels that Ferrari are at the very core of Grand Prix Motor Racing and he relishes the thought of winning with them.

If he moves to Ferrari then I look forward to him and Charles Leclerc racing together in the greatest team in F1.

Kind regards,

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Apparently Mercedes have called a meeting at 2pm with Toto and James Allison; we shall see. I'd be surprised, as much for the collaborations they have off the track.

A much deserved return to F1 for Pastor Maldonado?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Well lots of drivers to choose from for Mercedes unless they go completely new blood outside of F1

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/when-f1-drivers-contract-expire/

Alonso?  Would be a wildcard

Sainz?  Good driver edged out at Ferrari as he was not number one.

Albon?  Doing well at Williams

Ricciardo?  Should be signed to RB senior soon leaving Perez to find a drive.

Perez? Solid driver, might perform better away from RB, but questions might persist.

Stroll? Maybe time for him to prove it's not nepotism 🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

30 minutes ago, 30368 said:

If I may, whilst Ferrari, like all teams, have their ups and downs, I beg you to consider that you may be mistaken in your view. 16 Constructors titles and 15 drivers titles suggest otherwise.

I am not mistaken. I urge you to not be blinded by their not so recent history.

Their last 6 titles were due to 1 man: Jean Todt. Many credit Schumacher for building the team but if Todt had not been there, Schumacher would never have signed for them.

If you remove Todt's influence, the last of their other 9 titles was in 1980. That is over 40 years ago.

Todt was pushed out the season Raikkonen won his title, He & the team he built were driven out by their management's desire for control, That management structure is still there & they have not won anything since. More pertinently, it is why they have not won anything since & therefore why it is the wrong team to be at to win a driver's title.

Constructors title is of little concern to a driver considering switching teams.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I remember that people thought Lewis was wrong to leave the successful McLaren for the struggling Mercedes...

There have been a few exits from Mercedes in recent times. Have any gone to Ferrari, would Hamilton's presence be a divining rod attracting others to join?

I had thought Mercedes planned to exit prior to the last rule changes but then the pandemic messed up the plan. It could be that they are still planning a withdrawal.

34 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

was amazed watching Pointless last night that Pastor won a race. His only podium too

Williams last win and I think it might had been Frank's birthday. The Williams pit also caught fire after the race.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Albon?  Doing well at Williams

I would like to see Alex in a Mercedes. He's been out performing his team mates and the car at Williams. 

• Agree 1

I'm sure Lewis did once say that he always wanted to drive for Ferrari. And the only thing that I think has stopped him so far is the fact that Senna never drove for them (although I'm not sure if he would have ended up doing so). 

If he was following in the footsteps of his idol, maybe he should consider moving to Williams?