RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

G'Day Folks

I predicted there wouldn't be any GN tender loco's and I was right. Locomotion looks nice, Trout's make a welcome return. Other than that......well !

manna

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Don't really mind the low key off it all, didn't really expect much more .My biggest disappointment I suppose is the lack of a BR blue bo bo and zero news about HM7000 sound projects other than finishing the list we have which is already too limited to make the system of any interest to most people. 

Edited by Ighten

2 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

The Black TfW 67 is a werid one, especially as the current red/grey TfW 67 and sets are being sold everywhere at fire sale rates!

thats never stopped them producing niche or obscure choices of models before!

• Like 2

Having more announcements throughout the year means they can coincide with various events, anniversaries etc.

The 9th of June 2024 will mark 30 years since the creation of the shadow freight companies. Perhaps we'll Hornby release a 31,56 and 60 in Mainline, Transrail and Loadhaul liveries to mark the occasion!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Markwj said:

I did watch the Hornby announcement and they did say there would be announcements throughout the year but I don’t recall if they mentioned a schedule like how Bachmann do it?

Will they just be announcements of single items ad hoc through the year does anyone know?

You are correct in that Hornby have not said exactly how they will structure these additional announcements…. 

It is frustrating and contrasts with Bachmann who right from the start gave a clear continent to quarterly / seasonal reveals throughout the year.

However within that we are also seeing some differentiation by scale creeping in - by which I mean that one announcement tends to be N scale heavy and another one ends up being more 00 or 009 focused 

But to return to Hornby , if the April announcement is solely about TT stuff then we are probably looking at two big reveals a year for Hornby (January + July for 00 and April + October for TT)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Compound1000 said:

Hopefully they do sell, yes. I'm in the "I don't get it" camp with the Beatles range too but if it sells and it keeps the money coming in for Hornby and so increases the likelyhood that they 1) stick around and 2) have an opportunity to produce something else in future that I do want to buy, then I'm all for it. 

If people really weren't buying the products surely they wouldn't keep producing them, this is about the 3rd year I can recall similar lines so some of their customers clearly go for it. 

I also don't understand the Beatles wagons and locos. I'm a huge Beatles fan and a railway modeller. And I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll. My wife spotted them in a shop and was going to buy some for my Christmas. I had to stop her. 

But someone must be buying them otherwise they wouldn't be adding them to the range. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, darrel said:

I also don't understand the Beatles wagons and locos. I'm a huge Beatles fan and a railway modeller. And I wouldn't touch them with a barge poll. My wife spotted them in a shop and was going to buy some for my Christmas. I had to stop her. 

But someone must be buying them otherwise they wouldn't be adding them to the range. 

I liked the Eurostar set (where they didn't make enough of the extra coach packs so prices second hand on those are silly) - as it was a good attempt at recreating a real livery used on Eurostar. 

On the rest I agree with you. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, darrel said:

My wife spotted them in a shop and was going to buy some for my Christmas. I had to stop her. 

Yes, lots of people will see them and buy them for presents or gifts.  You won't be able to stop them all.

Best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

I wonder if the Tri-ang Railways Remembered LMS coaches will 'banana' in due course, for that genuine authenticity?

Nice to see the LNER L1 back and with GE-based examples, together with yet another Britannia originally allocated there. B1 Mayflower' is a preservation one-off though. In all cases, and for whichever railway, there still remains a lack of appropriate coaching stock for them to pull. Re-runs of the Gresley non-gangwayed stock would be appreciated as would crimson & cream period types, or maroon Mark 1s for the preservation/charter formations.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Ravenser said:

"Vapourware" was a widely used word.

I am getting absolutely sick and tired of you making things up.

I have taken the time to go back through and search for the use of the word in Hornby TT topics. One user said it once (and not necessarily in a derogatory way) whereas you have used the word four times in TT topics.

You can go on moderation and I probably won't bother to read the posts and approve them if it means I have to fact check your contribution - yet again.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

To my mind this announcement has almost the exact same feel as the first of Bachmann's now regime of "when it's nearly ready".  "Disappointingly" few actually new things (though here a batch of new things looking like really old things...) but a seemingly sincere message of clearing the decks of old announcements to come through the system.  This is, I think, a good thing.

We know we have an announcement in April for TT, so you never know if something will come in on those coat tails.

Quite happy about Locomotion No 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrel said:

I'm no fan of them for myself but I can see that Hornby might view them as a tool to get new modellers into the hobby. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

A good year for collectors at least.  I can't see many 'Locomotions' lasting long in the wrong hands, although at £170 a pop (which considering the complexity of it seems a fair price), one would hope they'd be well cared for.  If I had the spare wedge I'd be up for one, just for the novelty value 👍

Where's my G6 and Ironclads Mr Hornby? 😜

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 1andrew1 said:

I'm no fan of them for myself but I can see that Hornby might view them as a tool to get new modellers into the hobby. 

...or just cash in, people who collect not only trains but Beatles guff will love them.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

...or just cash in, people who collect not only trains but Beatles guff will love them.

Both, but sometimes the royalty rates and different distribution channel costs can eat into the profit margin.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

thats never stopped them producing niche or obscure choices of models before!

Lets be fait even Hornby seem desperate to get rid of em

I'm bias I hate the Black livery and Where's my TfW 153 goddammit it! :)

15 hours ago, Legend said:

The catalogue is an institution . I’ve just ordered mine , along with Februarys Hornby Mag direct from Key .  I don’t see that a few announcements a year alters the catalogue . Simply publish it in January and the next years edition will catch up on the announcements in the year .  I think Bachmann does this with their catalogue .

Problem with Hornbys catalogues in recent years has been the amount of items illustrated which have been cancelled. Its a pity Pat Hammonds books on Triang etc stop at 1996. Bachmann also have the same issue - certainly the cancelled 04 shunters a few years back. The Ramsay Guide fell into a habit of using the catralogues as a release date for example indicates the Bachmann 94xx as being released in 2016.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 09:15, nathan70000 said:

Locomotion No 1, interesting choice. There were a few hints in the latest Hornby A Model World series- IIRC there was a large scale model of it in shot at one point.

Otherwise, oh dear.

Several items from that list I can already see ending up in bargain bins - WWII black W1, Tiger, IoWC four wheelers, possibly the Triang nostalgia sets too.

As for the B1, which is it? 61306 or 61379?

It apears to be the modern pretender to Mayflowers name AKA 61306 as currently preserved

Nothing for me unfortunately. When I got back into the hobby I decided to limit myself to SR and Met only. I was hoping for an upgraded unrebuilt West Country but no joy. Still, there's some to look forward to from other manufacturers. EDIT I can't understand why they haven't released a Peckett in Met livery?

Edited by Metropolitan

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

A largely redundant institution that ceased to be a reliable guide to what we might be able to buy in the year printed on the cover some years ago. That information is found on-line nowadays, and can be kept up to date when circumstances dictate.

The catalogue only retains any real significance as a collectors' item in its own right, and keeping it "as-is" whilst moving to quarterly announcements will only make it even more meaningless.

The way the industry currently works makes the release date pretty irrelevant, and I consider a factual retrospective published late in the year would be much more sensible.

It would provide an accurate guide for collectors, with the advantage of being able to include photos of actual models rather than computer mock-ups.

John

Most don't want that though. If they did then everyone would be demanding the return of the Ramsay's Guides and I can't recall seeing much demand for the return of that.

They want a cheap catalogue they can browse through and then keep it as a collectable.. When you consider you can get the bundle with the magazine then it's cheap as chips.

Jason

Didnt mean to rattle anybodys cage over my thoughts on the Beatles stuff but those quick to suggest they must sell kibd of mussed the question.    We cannot say they sell as fact u less we get a spokesperson to shed light hence why I wondered if ssles are evidenced by a lsck of such products in the bargain bins.   Seems half a dozen webbers have similar thoughts on this and we all know we dont hsve to buy said items but it would be interesting to know the score.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Most don't want that though. If they did then everyone would be demanding the return of the Ramsay's Guides and I can't recall seeing much demand for the return of that.

They want a cheap catalogue they can browse through and then keep it as a collectable.. When you consider you can get the bundle with the magazine then it's cheap as chips.

Jason

Maybe Hornby need to decide whether they want to sell model trains or catalogues.

Right now, the timing of the latter adversely affects the ordering, production and sales processes.

It's a major cause of Hornby's perrennial inability to accurately match supply and demand because it forces them to do everything else in the least effective order. Whatever they make from flogging catalogues will be outweighed many times over by the inefficiencies it imposes on the business.

The obsession with keeping new plans secret to be "revealed" in the catalogue makes it necessary to delay gauging dealer requirements until after production contracts have to be agreed.

If Hornby want to optimise "The Day Job", it needs to be retailers/preorders first, factory second, catalogue last. They (and we) need to stop treating the darned thing as a newspaper, and maybe publish it in April!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1