RMweb

Hornby 2024 range announcements

AY Mod

I used to love the older style catalogues where they had pictures of the models on some kind of display layout rather than a computer generated image. I still buy one each year, probably out of childhood nostalgia and happy memories, plus a general love of the brand but of course that doesn't mean I agree with everything they do (far from it) and I'm certainly not blind to their many recent blunders either...

R1991cat_3110435_Qty1_1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

IMG_9099~2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Metropolitan said:

B2 would be close enough for me. After all, Hornby are more than happy to paint locos with a Beatles livery?

Not a good comparison. People seem to not understand the Beatles / Coca Cola stuff is not aimed at us. It is a completely different market share aimed at collectors of that sort of thing (yes...really). I look upon that stuff as subsidising the rest of the range of proper stuff, because it sells, believe it or not.

A B2 in MET livery would be nothing short of a fudge. If you want a MET Peckett, buy the 3D print and paint it in MET livery, with transfer lining it wouldn't be hard and you'll get what you actually want. Or pay someone to do it (but where's the fun there?). Link below.

https://www.oakhillworks.co.uk/shop/peckett-x-class/

Edited by On30runner
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

3 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

I used to love the older style catalogues where they had pictures of the models on some kind of display layout rather than a computer generated image. I still buy one each year, probably out of childhood nostalgia and happy memories, plus a general love of the brand but of course that doesn't mean I agree with everything they do (far from it) and I'm certainly not blind to their many recent blunders either...

unnamed.jpg

IMG_9099~2.jpg

Happy Days!

Of course, back then the entire range was smaller, with 1 loco/1 livery during the year so they could afford to shoot each one and have three large pictures per page.

We didn't have the railroad/main range split either.

Edited by Hroth
The case of the missing" y"...
  • Agree 3

20 hours ago, elmtree-line said:

One wonders how much real long term thought was put behind canning the Thomas and Friends range.  Whether down to greedy execs not wanting to pay for the licences, or something else is up for debate, but it's clearly a viable product range or Bachmann would not have been so quick to snap up the licenses and get production rolling.

It wasn't Hornby's decision to drop the Thomas range. The switch to Bachmann was a decision made by the brand owners. Kader (Bachmann's parent company) already had the USA rights, and when HIT Entertainment was taken over by Mattel, Mattel decided they wanted a single, global licensee for the brand on model trains rather than different national licensees. Hornby clearly weren't in that market because they don't have a significant US presence, so the only show in town was Kader who therefore acquired the UK and EU rights along with the USA rights.

The models now being sold by Bachmann UK aren't new tooling, they're the same ones already used for the US market. So technically they're HO rather than OO, but of course with the highly stylised model design that's not immediately obvious to the naked eye so it doesn't really matter. But if you put a Bachmann Thomas next to a Hornby Thomas, the Bachmann one is visibly smaller. SamsTrains did a side by side comparison of them a while back, so if you search on the channel you might be able to find the video.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

The models now being sold by Bachmann UK aren't new tooling, they're the same ones already used for the US market. So technically they're HO rather than OO, but of course with the highly stylised model design that's not immediately obvious to the naked eye so it doesn't really matter. But if you put a Bachmann Thomas next to a Hornby Thomas, the Bachmann one is visibly smaller. SamsTrains did a side by side comparison of them a while back, so if you search on the channel you might be able to find the video.

Although, thankfully, the Thomas narrow gauge stuff IS spot on for 009! Hence why so many have been used for Talyllyn models by various modellers.

The Skarloey coaches for example being near perfect replicas of the actual TR coaches, and they run perfectly happily alongside the Meridian Models TR coach kits 👌

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

It wasn't Hornby's decision to drop the Thomas range.

It would be more correct to say that Hornby didn't wish to invest in changes to the products to meet the requirements of the continuation of the licence and therefore the licence for the UK became available for others.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Well I got a copy of the mythical catalogue.  Has the mythical TfW Black 67 in it but no TFW coaches.  The one really odd thing us buried at the back ampung buildings.  There's a picture with the traditional Hornby 'main station' building, it's labelled as 'being enhanced by using Humbrol products', the the brick work appears to be 3d rather than printed, cutiousnhow they achieved this with Humbrol products.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Some of the Bachmann Thomas range makes use of old 00 tooling, such as Gordon's express coaches, which are the old Mainline LMS Period 1 composite and brake third, likewise the Toad brake van.

Thomas and Percy appeared incognito years ago in Bachmann UK's Junior range - fully compatible for size with everyday 4 mm scale stuff, apart from Thomas's front buffers - for which we can blame Reginald Dalby - and Percy being a bit wide over the cylinders:

HornbyAyers1.JPG.9ac90c999cf68c70f77e2f845d257ccc.JPG

(My conversion of not-Thomas to Thomas, with the aid of a wooden Brio-scale Thomas, Das, etc.)

The "red coaches" have been converted into rather effective representations of Stroudley 4-wheelers in 4 mm scale.

So I think that rather than calling the Bachmann Thomas range as H0 mis-described as 00 for the UK market, it would be better to say that they are 00 models mis-described as H0 for the non-UK market.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Legend said:

Which is amazing because it’s not what he said before !  Boring side view catalogues that have been the same for about the last 15 years are maybe outdated . Who was responsible for them ? 

Indeed it is amazing.  I would avree absolutely with him that it s outdated - but in the form which he perpetuated way beyond its sell0by date, just like his annual announcement bean fest that went with it (and the overselling shambles which followed because everything was being crammed into a short period).

I don';t know if teh catalogue has changed but I understood that theere were plans to change it into something that would be more relevant and of wider interest.  Maybe that couldn't be managed for this year or maybe it could - has anybody looked at the new catalogue yet?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Happy Days!

Of course, back then the entire range was smaller, with 1 loco/1 livery during the year so they could afford to shoot each one and have three large pictures per page.

We didn't have the railroad/main range split either.

Absolutely. And of course back then the list of real life liveries per class was a lot smaller than nowadays where it's seemingly endless.

The current BR liveries of the time also lasted longer in the real world too. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Indeed it is amazing.  I would avree absolutely with him that it s outdated - but in the form which he perpetuated way beyond its sell0by date, just like his annual announcement bean fest that went with it (and the overselling shambles which followed because everything was being crammed into a short period).

I don';t know if teh catalogue has changed but I understood that theere were plans to change it into something that would be more relevant and of wider interest.  Maybe that couldn't be managed for this year or maybe it could - has anybody looked at the new catalogue yet?

just received direct from Key today , although I note Tesco also has it (well the Port Glasgow branch) .

Same general format ie side on views . A little different in that there are articles on Locomotion and the Hornby Dublo Deltic . The 2024 releases are shown first and then the rest of the range ie what’s still to come from 2023 and presumably what is still in stock  are then shown . I’d say it’s an improvement . It does look like there might be a bit more narrative than usual . I think it’s still pretty average though and lacks the excitement of the great 70s catalogues .

Maybe a complete revamp is in order . Cut the size , maybe have a retro theme about it capturing some of the scenes from past catalogues but with modern stock .  If the market is us golden oldies coming back to the hobby , then maybe something resembling the catalogues of our childhood would go down well 

Now I’m retired ,I am available at low cost and short notice 😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

With the introduction of the new Bluetooth control system I have been expecting Hornby to announce some sort of rolling programme to update/adapt/retool all their existing locomotives to allow for the easy fitting of the new system. Has anything been said along these lines (either when the new system was introduced or subsequently)? 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Legend said:

Maybe a complete revamp is in order

Definitely if it is to have a future. For a start, some pieces on getting the best out of the techy end of the range,  the how and why of close coupling mechanisms, benefits of diecast loco bodies, etc..

And put the models being photographed on superior sceniced track, rather than your own tawdry product. (Just a quick look in the likes  of John Lewis will supply ideas on the importance presentation.)

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I’m retired immensely experienced in model railway matters, I am available could make time to assist at low cost for a reasonable fee, and short notice but my schedule is fairly full, so don't delay if this is of interest.

FTFY.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

unnamed.jpg

IMG_9099~2.jpg

Think that was the last catalogue I bought - attracted by the 91. It was well thumbed, but I never did get the 91...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2024 at 16:02, Sweetling Park said:

I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be a Collector Club locomotive this year.  I am wondering if it may be announced later in the year, or if the focus is in the 70th anniversary locos?

I just read this in the latest issue of Railway Modeller, they seem to be doing a preserved version of Locomotion as the Collectors Club loco for 2024.

IMG_9031.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Richy59 said:

I just read this in the latest issue of Railway Modeller, they seem to be doing a preserved version of Locomotion as the Collectors Club loco for 2024.

Damn, if that is more accurate for what I need than the retail version I'm going to be quite annoyed.

But at the same time, could save me some work (at the expense of extra expense) 😄

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Damn, if that is more accurate for what I need than the retail version I'm going to be quite annoyed.

But at the same time, could save me some work (at the expense of extra expense) 😄

Might just be the backing colour of the nameplate. It's green on the standard model.

The announcement of the Railroad HAA / MGR wagon is interesting considering they already do a main range one. Does anyone have any more info on this? The catalogue photograph looks the same as the main range one to me, although that could be because they don't have a photograph of the Railroad one yet I suppose. 

RRP is about £20 I think so with slight discount it might be available for around £17 or £18?

I did wonder if they were simply moving their main range one into the Railroad range to tempt potential customers away from the Accurascale and Cavalex competition...? 

• Like 1

Can't say I'm very impressed. Lots of nostalgia for their aging demographic, lots of "toys" for youngsters but not much serious starter stuff for those slightly older. Lots of niche stuff and collectors stuff. Meh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Got an update (finally) from Hornby ref R30161

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

The item R30161 is due Feb 2024. It has been removed from the website as we have sold out of our pre-order allocation.  No further stock is available.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,