Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I suspect a porter got called away and put them there while he attended to more urgent duties!

It had been repaired, but not very well, and then some idiot put too large a load on it, and it collapsed again, just as the A4 came by. :jester: And if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Edited by great northern

post-18225-0-96189100-1390480956_thumb.jpg

Putting money and mouth together, here's my 60030 with the incorrect '6', correct for this loco's front numberplate.

I built it from a SE Finecast kit and Ian Rathbone painted it.

At this range, I'm astonished how lumpen this model appears compared with Hornby's. However, when it was built the RTR equivalents were pretty dismal to say the least. That said, the valve gear is far better (in my opinion - Hornby's is a bit 'thin' and the crosshead/slidebars are weak in appearance) and its power to pull is also superior.

But, if you want umpteen A4s, who'd bother building one now? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Tony, is that a 'bendy rail' at the cab end on '30 as on '14?

By the way, in that photo your track could quite easily be P4.

Phil

No way! It is a big engine pulling a long train and it is still on the rails..........

(Said with tongue well in cheek - I have seen a train like that in P4 once)

Tony

I don't know of a source for the appropriate transfer?

Oh, come on, Gilbert, they're on the HMRS sheet.  At least .3 mm high, white on a white background.... I fail to understand how you cannot have seen them.

Never mind, I'm sure you'll have them all sorted by Monday.  It's not as if you have a lot of locos to do.

• RMweb Premium

As recent discussions have been centred on the the incorrect '6' and '9' used erroneously by the LNER and its successors, is it churlish to point out that 60030's front numberplate incorrectly has the correct '6'? 

And, the cylinder drain cock pipes? 

Brilliant pictures by the way.

It is entirely correct, Tony, and Tim will be bringing a supply of curly sixes to put this one and others right when he next visits. I do though have at least seven sets of cylinder drain cocks, which have been found lying about on the layout. All have been superglued back on at least once, and have fallen off again. I confess that I then gave up.

• Like 1

There should be David, but I don't know of a source for the appropriate transfer?

Fox Transfers

post-96-0-34135600-1389044571_thumb.jpg

AS seen on DoC, Sir Murrough Wilson does have it those it's under a pile of muck

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, all those c*cks drains dropping off all over the place; it must be bloo*y freezing over there in Peterborough.

Gilbert, I have this morning 'credited you' in my layout thread. I'm now going to repeat that here. I really appreciate how much forethought you put into this project and that advice will hopefully prevent me from smashing my new work into the long rough- thanks.

Anyhow, despite enjoying this thread enormously and just loving the ECML circa 1958/63, I have decided to build a layout, on which none of you blokes will be able to  find any interesting anomalies at all, as it is going to be SR circa 1960 and none of you lot liked Bulleid Pacifics or know anything about Bulleid and Maunsell Coaches. It is also in a tunnel so none of you will be able to see anything anyway! :yahoo_mini:

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, all those c*cks drains dropping off all over the place; it must be bloo*y freezing over there in Peterborough.

Gilbert, I have this morning 'credited you' in my layout thread. I'm now going to repeat that here. I really appreciate how much forethought you put into this project and that advice will hopefully prevent me from smashing my new work into the long rough- thanks.

Anyhow, despite enjoying this thread enormously and just loving the ECML circa 1958/63, I have decided to build a layout, on which none of you blokes will be able to  find any interesting anomalies at all, as it is going to be SR circa 1960 and none of you lot liked Bulleid Pacifics or know anything about Bulleid and Maunsell Coaches. It is also in a tunnel so none of you will be able to see anything anyway! :yahoo_mini:

P

I refer you to the claim you made on page 211, post 5273 Sir! Could it be that you were being economical with the truth? :O  I am already a lurker on your thread Phil, and have ordered every book I can find relating to SR 1960, and Bulleid Pacifics and various green carriages. I hope though that you won't be having any "bullied" Pacifics. They do seem to be mentioned quite often, and I feel very sorry for them. Anyway, prepare yourself, anomalies will be found, even in pitch darkness I reckon. :angry:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday, golf, and a shower that cunningly hit us on the 16th hole, which is long, uphill, and was playing into the wind, which increased to a howling gale, and pelted us with large hailstones coming at us horizontally. It wasn't very nice at all, so today I'm indoors, and even doing some modelling. By the time I'd got enough done to be able to show you the fruits of my labours though, stygian gloom had descended once again, even though sunset was theoretically over an hour away. This did not help much, as you will see.

I've started to put together a fish train, using some of Hornby's new wagons and a few ancient ex Wrenn ones, and so I tackled the considerable weathering backlog. This turned out to be far from easy though. I don't have an airbrush, and so rely on powders. They're fine for anything with a bit of detail for them to cling to, but the smooth sides of these wagons do cause problems. What you are about to see then is work in progress, and personally I'm far from convinced that it is acceptable. I'm using the method suggested by Humbrol, which involves adding Decalfix to the powders, and which if necessary allows me to strip the whole lot off and start again. The first two photos were taken with artificial light, and the appropriate white balance setting. The result was wagons in a rather fetching shade of pink. :mad:  The last shot used what available light there was. It is poor, but at least shows the colours more correctly. It has proved very difficult to get a thick coating of powders onto the model, so my feeling is that they are not dirty enough, based on the colour photos I have seen. As usual, your comments and suggestions will be very welcome.

post-98-0-24326100-1390583122_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-73879500-1390583203_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-02813100-1390583244_thumb.jpg

I put a sky behind the first two, as there was a lot of distracting background clutter, but didn't bother too much with it, so they don't stand up to close inspection I'm afraid. What do you reckon? Start again?

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A good way to help powders to adhere to smooth surfaces is to spray first with a very matt varnish, I use Humbrol acrylic in an aerosol, it gives it a 'rough' surface to cling to, after applying the powders very light coats of varnish or the powders will be blown away. Then add more layers of powders and varnish till you're happy.

• RMweb Premium

Why were fish vans not called Shrimps or Guppies or similar?

They look great Gilbert, the horizontal thrashing by ice must have awakened your artistic side mate.

Incidentally, all is not lost for you guys as Mallard made a jolly fine site on the LSWR at Honiton in 1963 and there were other famous visitors to liven up the days.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

To be honest they look a bit 'brown' to me whereas I remember the dirt on them being more dark grey/black (but that is relying on memory from an awful long time ago of course).

Ah, but your memories are from the black and white era...

:D

(Sorry Mike)