Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Grafarman said:

That 9f really is a stonking beast, and the weathering adds to its powerful image; Bachmann or kit-built...?

David

Bachmann David, but special, as it used to belong to Dave Shakespeare, and he did all the weathering. When he asked me to sell all his stuff after his death, he also told me to take whatever I liked for PN. I didn't take much, as Cancer Research was the beneficiary, but this, and his A4 Silver Fox are now very cherished possessions.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Do you cut slots into your lamps so they push fit onto the (what I assume are etched brass) lamp irons?

I try to drill them out, but the eyesight problems don't help, so I now delegate the job to Tim, who can see proper, on account of having youth.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrDobilina said:

Any chance of some videos of a running session some time Gilbert? Looking great as usual!

My technical knowledge isn't sufficient to allow me to produce anything worthwhile, but I have put out feelers to see if a professional job might be possible.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, great northern said:

My technical knowledge isn't sufficient to allow me to produce anything worthwhile, but I have put out feelers to see if a professional job might be possible.

Here's hoping Gilbert. It would be fantastic to see Peterborough filmed on the same lines (sorry!) as the recent production for Little Bytham. What a great double bill that would make!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Here's hoping Gilbert. It would be fantastic to see Peterborough filmed on the same lines (sorry!) as the recent production for Little Bytham. What a great double bill that would make!

Hear hear!

Beautiful layouts like this deserve some cinematography for everyone to enjoy. 

• RMweb Premium

OK, I meant to put that up hours ago, but forgot to hit "submit post".  Still time for the usual late evening fare though, and two re enactions of classic real PN scenes. 60065 framed by Crescent Bridge, and an L1 on the 2.45 from Hitchin, framed by the overall roof.

1296229357_6652.JPG.3ea59c3af10133876782fd3497e872fe.JPG

1188266582_7L1.JPG.6731916d9931c53045f5cc2de954dbf1.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

I also did an experimental severe crop on one of this morning's images. What do you think? Is the wider view better?

I like to see the train as much as the loco, so perhaps a slightly less severe crop to include the wagons would be preferable ...

1968034052_5WDup2.JPG.ee34f5082099b3cc8e7c5e4a9ea9a870.JPG.882152b52abf8ec694a590f810f7093d.JPG

• Like 10
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, calvin Streeting said:

i relly like your photos :) .. i take it if i read back you outline Fstop, shutter speed etc.. ?

The camera's limits are from f2.8 to f8. I normally work with f8, unless I'm taking shots under the roof, when f2.8 is often necessary. The room faces due south, and with three large windows there can be real problems, sometimes with big variations within a short time, so anything between 1/500 and 15 seconds can be needed. It can get "interesting".

I don't like flash, and never use it. The camera has its limitations, but can get to places where a bigger camera with a wider range of options never could, so it is very good for the kind of shots I like to take.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1