Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

OK chaps. Happy Sunday.

Bit OT I'm sorry. I think I've discovered what's up with some of us. If you have the technology listen to Will Self doing 'Point of View' on BBC i-player (for Sunday 16th although it is a repeat I'm sure). It explains quite a lot IMO.

Jeff I know what you mean; even Wolsztyn can't compare. Barrow Hill at night can deliver a little bit of history (when it is steam).

Anglian - The Bluebell. Yes, in the winter it really can be magic, especially Horsted K with that lovely little bar and waiting room. The Park is a bit brash and Kingscote has no bar but is great in the summer when loads of folk decant to the picnic field. Loved working there in the late 90s.

Just an aside. Despite living in 36E I have little local knowledge. I'm going to contact 'local' sources about 36E GC Thrumpton but just wondered if anyone on here has any helpful stuff/links about the shed in the late 50s/early60s?

What's this got to do with PN you ask? Well, when the great ECML layout join up occurs in the year ???? I shall hopefully have attempted to create a representation of 36E GC (ignores stifled laughter from many sources.....)

Apologies to Mr Jackson though as it will be OO finescale. I'm just not going to convert all those lovely steam loco's; life is too short (thanks Will Self).

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Like many others I have been waiting eagerly for this, and my goodness it has been well worth it. :imsohappy: It really is a superb model, which will be transformed into one of my old March favourites. Whether I will be able to bring myself to let Tim take it away with him when he visits on Wednesday is debatable. I may need just to have it around to gaze at for a while first. And the footballer is due soon. :yes: :danced:

We have ways and means Gilbert ;) :triniti: :jester:

I'm sure receiving a new V2, an O1, a D11/1 and even (yet) another B1 are suitable forms of bribery! :mail:

• Like 2

Gilbert,

"You know it makes sense", play with the B17 for a while but let Tim work his magic on it.

There's been a fewcomments made on the nostalgia of the end of steam compared with preserved steam but the fact is, if we could somehow transpose the 1960's railway on to the preserved scene I genuinely believe visitor numbers would plummet. Remove the rose tinted specs. Look beyond what perhaps we would like to remember the fact is, B.R.in the 1960's as I recall was (at least in The West Riding and I don't imagine even the Western Region was any better), totally grotty.

I cannot remember where I left my reading glasses these days but I have a vivid memory of the steam railways and the infrastructure through which it operated, there was a pervading smell of fish, the stations were painted in an overall battleship grey if you could see the paint under years of soot and neglect, until The Beatles we lived in a world consisting of shades of grey. We knew nothing better so we just accepted life as it was but glamorous it wasn't.

It doesn't actually detract from my own desire to re-create the period but after Gravytrain has spent countless hours re-creating Peterborough North Station and Norman has built such perfect track you just cannot run spotless locos and perfect rolling stock (The Elizabethan excepted) even your beloved B17's.With all that in mind when I visit this Friday I'm bringing half a pound of wet fish to strap under the bay platforms to help to further recreate that genuine 1958 atmosphere.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Must have been a windy day in Peterborough when those last photo's were taken. I hope no one was in the thunderbox when it went over. :O

That was there for when it wasn't windy actually. It's a fogman's hut, and they were left like this when not in use.

• Like 1

Ah...keyboard dyslexia, I thought it was only me.

I think it's something to do with getting your left hand going too quick for your lright, you hit the "a" before the "h"......my favourite trick at the moment is to miss capital letters, despite having hit the shift key, I've released it too early... :no:

Nive pics again, btw, but were there any other A1's besides Bois Roussel?

Where's Alcazar? Where's Madge Wildfire? Meg Merrilies?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah...keyboard dyslexia, I thought it was only me.

I think it's something to do with getting your left hand going too quick for your lright, you hit the "a" before the "h"......my favourite trick at the moment is to miss capital letters, despite having hit the shift key, I've released it too early... :no:

Nive pics again, btw, but were there any other A1's besides Bois Roussel?

Where's Alcazar? Where's Madge Wildfire? Meg Merrilies?

Not the answer for me Jeff, as only one hand is involved most of the time. In fact to be honest, one finger of one hand. :blush: Although to my surprise I have just noticed while typing this that occasionally one digit of the left hand does get used as well. :O I think that my finger gets ahead of what passes for my brain. And having typed this very carefully, brain came out as brian. :no:

A1's. There were 50 weren't there? I have a good few, but not all 50 (yet). The three you mention are therefore on the " when lottery jackpot occurs" list. My other 15 will appear in due course, but that's all I can offer for now. Madge Wildfire and Meg Merrilies were rare as hen's teeth in my spotting days anyway, though I think 115 did move from Gateshead to Copley Hill late on?

• Like 1

Very nice photo,s of the B17 ,this could encourage me to go back to my roots on the GE section .I also make cockups when typing with two fingers usualy ,will have to get one of these voice command electro mechanical devices bet I still get it wrong though! Keep the photos coming and hope Tetley,s is gaining knowledge of the dark arts ok .

• RMweb Premium

AndyRush's influence is beginning to take hold, as yesterday's two oher parcels both involved goods stock. Andy has kindly recommended some reading matter, and I've started with the rather dauntingly titled " British Railways Wagons, the first half million" by Don Rowlands. I'll do as many as I can, honest, but half a million is a bit steep, even for me.

Some more fitted wagons have also been acquired, as the first thing that Andy did was to correct my mistaken impression that they would only be seen in Class C and D trains. At least Hornby's announcement of blue spot fish wagons, together with the impending Bachmann LNER ones will make a dedicated fish working a lot easier, though not necessarily cheap. I have no excuse at all for an original P2, though had it been in later form it would have been hard to resist as the one that got away and was painted Brunswick Green. If it's good enough for Roy Jackson and Dave Shakespeare it would be good enough for me.

• Like 3

...... I have no excuse at all for an original P2, though had it been in later form it would have been hard to resist as the one that got away and was painted Brunswick Green. If it's good enough for Roy Jackson and Dave Shakespeare it would be good enough for me.

oh dear - a relapse?

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, does anyone else suffer from keyboard dyslexia? I constantly type "waht" instead of "what", "form" instead of "from", and "gorund" instead of "ground". Is there a cure? And if so, is it painful?

In the '80s, when I was 40-ish, I did a lot of word-processing for my employer, often at short notice. An Investment Appraisal might appear on my desk, and if we wanted to get the scheme authorised soonest, I needed to get the Submission drafted double-quick! I noticed exactly what you describe - a regular mis-spelling of particular words. Fortunately there was an autocorrect function - so if I typed one of my mis-spellings into that, and asked it to always change it to the correct word - bingo! The downside is that I've never learnt not to type those words wrongly, and my keyboard for Internet use doesn't seem to have such a function, so I'm as bad as ever. Waht a wtat!

Edited for - er - spelling!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Parcels of rolling stock; the first half million. Good grief, the Post service is going to be in huge profit then...Dunside Parkdas could also be in profit?

I've just been having a look at the Hornby stuff. 'Barnsley' looks great (the loco not the place, which is OK but I wouldn't want to take a holiday there). That P2; will it fit on the mantle-piece?

I bet there was a 2BIL lurking around Peterborough somewhere..................... :laugh: xD

Looking forward to seeing the Baccy J11.

Good grief lads and lasses, are we not hugely fortunate with what's on offer and coming 'on-line' soon?

If anyone feels like a bit of a moan about not having something then just remember what it was like 25 years ago!! However, that enabled the likes of TW, RJ and NS et.al. to become hugely skilled kit/scratch modellers.

Oh yes, I've spotted another tree on PN.

LOL (the Cornservative xD version) P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

AndyRush's influence is beginning to take hold, as yesterday's two oher parcels both involved goods stock. Andy has kindly recommended some reading matter, and I've started with the rather dauntingly titled " British Railways Wagons, the first half million" by Don Rowlands. I'll do as many as I can, honest, but half a million is a bit steep, even for me.

You will find, when you read it, that over half of the 'half million' were in fact the ubiquitous steel 16 tonners. A figure of 253,000 of the blighters is quoted I believe, all built in a 5 year period - 1000 new wagons a week!!. It's a mind-blowing statistic, almost beyong comprehension. But would you want every other wagon on PN to be a 16 tonner?(!) - I suspect not :agree:

Good luck with the research and look forward to seeing the results in due course.

• Like 2