RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I've just got this vision of a very tall multi-turn helix up the middle of the stairwell (or even via a dedicated helix/stairwell cut into one corner of the house like a Castle tower), and DCC control allowing the use of banking engines (aha, the wishlist groweth)

Yes, and if I designed it, I would no doubt find that I had completely blocked any way of getting upstairs myself. I think this idea can be abandoned. One house, one layout room......unless I win the lottery.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

Another possible suggestion regarding storage is to create a 'lower level', I understand it is a lot of work and it may be unthinkable cutting a 50mm x 300mm rectangular hole in your very well built baseboards. I only suggest this as it is what I am doing with my own layout.

Jules 

Edited by auxie22
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pipes, Gilbert, pipes. 

Oh them! Again. I have loads of them,as I constantly find them lying about on the track, often accompanied by a cylinder drain cock or two. Can anyone suggest a means of attaching such flimsy items permanently? I reckon I have tried every glue known to science, including all types of so called "superglue", but the pesky things just fall off again, and in the end I give up the unequal struggle. I know I shouldn't........ Modern locomotives and stock don't seem to be designed with handling in mind, and as my method of operating does require a lot of it, it is a real problem.

• Like 1

I find a hole through the buffer beam and superglue does for the dangly ones.  Upright ones I try to use ones with a spigot near the top and make a hole through the body end for that.  Superglue again, usually.

Edit - and space them further away from the coupling than is prototypical - it makes your shunter's life much easier. 

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Another possible suggestion regarding storage is to create a 'lower level', I understand it is a lot of work and it may be unthinkable cutting a 50mm x 300mm rectangular hole in your very well built baseboards. I only suggest this as it is what I am doing with my own layout.

Jules 

Hi Jules,

A couple of problems would arise. Firstly there is a hell of a lot of wiring under there, not to mention point motors, and secondly all baseboards on the fiddle yard side have structures underneath for storage which would not allow room to do it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I can't consider these possibilities unless someone kindly volunteers them.

• Like 2

Ahh ok, I understand completely, I have considerably less room and I am going to have a terrible 4% gradient for it, although half (or more) of my layout will be covered with late 50's early 60's industry and suburbia so it will be very well hidden and i'm planning on having 200mm of space under there (plenty of room to fix a dry joint or a bung point motor). Not to sound like resounding gong but absolutely love Peterborough North, You are an inspiration to us newbies to settle down and put more planning, effort and detail into our modelling rather than jumping in head first wanting to just run trains.

Jules

• RMweb Premium

May I please ask for assistance from those who have reached "a certain age". That is defined as the era of Lyons/Hales individual fruit pies, short back and sides and compulsory wearing of school blazer even when going train spotting.

Memory insists on tellimg me that people of all ages then wore very drab clothing, blacks browns and beige being the norm. However, as I now discover nearly every day that my memory can no longer be relied on, I'd appreciate confirmation or otherwise. For me, one of the most startling happenings of the mid '60's was the sudden explosion of bright coloured clothing, but was it really that monotonous in the late '50s?

Reason for request? I picked up a job lot of cheap figures a while ago, but I think they will nearly all need a repaint, as the colours look far too bright to me. Some alas will not be useable at all. Can you imagine the effect which would have been caused by a young woman wearing hot pants back then? She would probably have been arrested.

• RMweb Gold

Being 64, I think I qualify! But, rather than rely on hazy memory, I have quickly thumbed through a suitable volume - "London Trolleybuses - A Class Album" which is all in colour, has very many street scenes - and has no pictures past 1962, when operations ceased.

Interesting. Outer, by which I mean weather-resistant, garments were largely as you say - black, navy blue, beige (think Burberry) and brown. Men's trousers were dark-ish, but don't forget jeans, which were already widely sold, although usually in a darker blue in those days. In warmer seasons there is a definite difference between the sexes. Men wore sports jackets and suits, mainly again in subdued colours, very often with ties - even at the weekend. Ladies, by contrast, seemed to have much more interesting colours in dresses, skirts, cardigans, whatever, with lighter colours predominating. Pink and mauve appear here and there. Kids wore brighter colours, too. School uniforms were less formal in the Spring and Summer, with girls in light-coloured skirts, brighter blues and even a red top on one female child.

HTH!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't many photos in colour with people in from the late 50s early 60s but here are a couple.

post-5613-0-80135900-1357563286_thumb.jpg

Possibly Brighton mid 1950s JF253

post-5613-0-83111100-1357563296_thumb.jpg

Rempstone circa 1960 JFRV010

Are they any help for clothing colours?

David

• Like 3

*snip*

Some alas will not be useable at all. Can you imagine the effect which would have been caused by a young woman wearing hot pants back then? She would probably have been arrested.

Don't discard them so quickly, Gilbert. I have found many seated passengers need to undergo full amputations from the waist down... in which case, you can throw away the lower torso, and keep the upper body. The trick is to use them in the seats next to windows, where the viewing angle hides the surgery.

Regards

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I generally go along with Ian on this but there were distinct regional differences still and the north tended to be rather dour compared with the south.  But one important area is headgear - even into the early 196os most working men wore, usually, a flat cap - the old grubby one for work days and the better one for high days & holidays.  Similarly many women, but especially working women and those in the north (in my experience) wore headscarves, again with newer and brighter one for high days & holidays.

Male clothing tended to be drab although there were occasional 'more sporting' sports jackets to be seen and more colourful shirts were coming in for leisure time - I acquired a shirt with purple stripes c.1962/63, went nicely with the winkle-picker shoes :O

Women's summer dresses were more colourful in terms of more and lighter colours but nothing like as vivid intone as came in the later 1960s - all fairly subdued in a way due as much as anything to the nature of cheaper material and washing methods.  Incidentally in my experience school uniform for girls consisted of dresses in the Summer Term and blouse & skirt in other terms while school boys were in blazers and wore caps of course.

I've just been looking through a couple of colour albums of the last years of British trams and the overall impression of clothing is drab - except in seaside resorts in the summer (and not much brighter there).  Don't forget macs & coats were worn far more widely back then as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't discard them so quickly, Gilbert. I have found many seated passengers need to undergo full amputations from the waist down... in which case, you can throw away the lower torso, and keep the upper body. The trick is to use them in the seats next to windows, where the viewing angle hides the surgery.

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott, Back in Oz and very warm? I woudn't think many people have experienced as huge a range of temperatures as you have recently. As to your suggestion, fiddling about with young ladies below the waist area would not be a good idea given the number of pending Court cases! Seriously, I will bear it in mind, should I ever think about populating my coaching stock. Yet again though the sheer size of the layout is the problem. If I start, I have to do the lot really, and as that runs into the hundreds it feels a bit daunting. So does breaking into expensive kit built coaches come to think of it, especially as I don't think they were designed to come apart.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps, that makes me feel a good deal more confident. Pastel colours I think were the in thing for ladies summer wear and I do remember seeing men sitting on the beach dressed in a suit and wearing a tie. Trousers rolled up while paddling of course.

Thanks Mike for reminding me about the headwear. Very few men did not wear some form of hat I think, and it tended to act as a clear indication of social status too. You also remind me of another '50's and 60's icon -  the Packamac. :rolleyes: Hardly a fashion statement, but I was always reminded to take it with me, and more often than not it was needed.

I suppose I should concentrate on getting my fitted stock right first though. :blush:

• Like 1

Gilbert,

Whatever colour you decide on for your 1958 population please, please paint them in matt paint, check out images of published layouts and despite great attention to detail and appropriate weathering it's amaxing how many modellers are drawn to 'leather' or that's what it looks like with gloss blue footplate and station staff. Not quite as bad as standing them all on a 3'x 2' by 6" slabs of concrete though.

Now where did I leave my S & M gear?

• Like 5