Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The sideways on shot with that lovely blue/white RI board just oozes atmosphere.

Good job the bog cart was only 'discharging' passengers...................... it also looks really good under that cream 'gable end' to the roof; great colours.

Was Booklaw really 'rare' then?

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

The sideways on shot with that lovely blue/white RI board just oozes atmosphere.

Good job the bog cart was only 'discharging' passengers...................... it also looks really good under that cream 'gable end' to the roof; great colours.

Quack

I agree! I've seen many photos taken of station boards with a fine steam loco in the background. Very atmospheric.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Quack

All of the Heaton engines were rare down our way Phil, as there was only one rostered working for them daily South of York. Actually Book Law was one of the first A3's I saw. It was at Newark in 1955, and I hardly ever saw it again after that. The White Knight was another I saw regularly that summer, but rare as hen's teeth from then on. Isn't it incredible that memory can be so clear about trivial things from nearly 60 years ago, but I can't remember things that happened yesterday?

• Like 1

Isn't it incredible that memory can be so clear about trivial things from nearly 60 years ago, but I can't remember things that happened yesterday?

It's called old age mate! Lovely photos though, particularly the one with 'Mons Meg' passing the running in board.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All of the Heaton engines were rare down our way Phil, as there was only one rostered working for them daily South of York. Actually Book Law was one of the first A3's I saw. It was at Newark in 1955, and I hardly ever saw it again after that. The White Knight was another I saw regularly that summer, but rare as hen's teeth from then on. Isn't it incredible that memory can be so clear about trivial things from nearly 60 years ago, but I can't remember things that happened yesterday?

Sorry G, what was that you said......?

P

P.S. Laira's pet cat in 1959 was called IKB.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck can you please confiscate  Gilberts golf clubs(go on hide them I dare you)

as there appears to be a shortage of photo's lately

Much though I would like to respond to this scandalous and subversive suggestion, I don't have time, as I'm off to play golf........near Peterborough.

• Like 4

Hi Gilbert

per queste ultime foto  non mi basta davvero il pulsante "Like This" e sento il bisogno di complimentarmi e ringraziarti per le foto che hai pubblicato.

Soprattutto la quinta per diversi secondi non capivo se fosse realtà o modellismo!

Bravo!

Ciao a tutti

Mario

for these latest photos is not enough the "Like This" button and feel the need to compliment and thank you for pictures you've posted.

Especially the fifth, for several seconds did not know if it was real or modeling!
Bravo!
Hello to all
Mario
  • Like 5

Mario, we (some of us anyway that have not had an advantaged education or are ducks) shall be learning some Italian as a result of your friendly posts. Ciao.

Or simply Quackers !!     pmsl_smiley.gif  pmsl_smiley.gifpmsl_smiley.gif  pmsl_smiley.gif  (PML)

Regards, Del Boy   ( Duck Ridden  Borough of Peckham)

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

It's called old age mate! Lovely photos though, particularly the one with 'Mons Meg' passing the running in board.

I prefer to call it "ever-growing filing cabinets of memory". If you think of our memory like that, is it any wonder that it takes longer for our retrieval systems to work? We can't help it if at our tender ages, we know shed-loads more than these youngsters who are a long way off drawing their pensions? It's easy to search memory banks that don't have much in them.

I had a conversation along these lines yesterday with a very lively 76 yr old who said to me "I hadn't looked at it like that; I feel much better now!"

You can't help it, Gilbert and Dave, if you know lots of stuff! Rejoice in that fact and accept that age still has some advantages.

Edit;- nearly forgot to say that I am still enjoying the chronicles of Peterborough enormously!

All the best from the dampish West

Terry Davis

Edited by TerryD1471
  • Like 2

In addition, our generation came into a vastly different world that had changed little since the late 1920s and remained that way due to world war and lack on money until the late 1950s. Probably no generation has had to adapt to so many changes in such a short space of time while witnessing both gains and losses.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I prefer to call it "ever-growing filing cabinets of memory". If you think of our memory like that, is it any wonder that it takes longer for our retrieval systems to work? We can't help it if at our tender ages, we know shed-loads more than these youngsters who are a long way off drawing their pensions? It's easy to search memory banks that don't have much in them.

I had a conversation along these lines yesterday with a very lively 76 yr old who said to me "I hadn't looked at it like that; I feel much better now!"

You can't help it, Gilbert and Dave, if you know lots of stuff! Rejoice in that fact and accept that age still has some advantages.

Edit;- nearly forgot to say that I am still enjoying the chronicles of Peterborough enormously!

All the best from the dampish West

Terry Davis

Thanks Terry, good to hear from you. Oh, and that is the most comforting explanation of memory loss I've heard in a long time. :thankyou: In fact I'm going to write it down so I don't forget it when it gets buried pages back on the thread. But then what if I forget where I wrote it down? :scratchhead: Perhaps I should write it down in several places?  But then I'd just get even more confused. :senile: I give up. I'll go and run some trains instead.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Gilbert is that a female spotter (nearest end of platform) in the second shot of the Midlothian? If not his Headmaster (I know it should be Headteacher but this is 1958) needs to tell him to get a haircut and point out that his shorts look like some French girl's skirt.

Headboards - scrap value remember!

Hornby Gresleys - agreed.

Flying Pig - beautiful thing making even an A2/3 look sleek.

Penultimate shot my fave.

Quack.

• Like 1

Tracery pulls forward to go on shed, having amassed another 76 miles towards her career mileage of over two and a half million, while a B17 waits in the background to take a late afternoon train to Harwich.attachicon.gif59 4.jpg

Interesting just finish working on Tracery

I shall be 'having' her as well(!), as LNER 2558, part of the 1930's Grantham allocation. :)  She 'stars' on the front cover of the Cawston 'LNER at Grantham book'. With the latter influx of A4's (and newer A3's) she became a GC engine (Leicester Central) for many years, before ending her days under Mr Townsend's charge at Top Shed (presumably the cleaners haven't gotten round to her yet?!). My father knew her well in her GC days and I remember our canal boat being named after her (complete with 60059 number!!). What a wonderful, elegant name for a steam locomotive (not so sure about the cabin cruiser!)

• Like 2