Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A day to be spent cleaning up all the stuff I leave lying around, as the decorators will be arriving in a few days time. My hopes that I might find something nice that had been concealed for months or even years were dashed. So, I got bored with that, and went to look at the layout instead. It's the dead hour between 3.00pm and 4.00pm I'm afraid, so not much is happening.

post-98-0-17351000-1406473404_thumb.jpg

Plenty of time for the station pilot to shunt a van or two on the Down main. By the way, I made sure that signal was perpendicular just before setting up the shot. :angry:  Wait a minute though, activity in the signal box, looks like we have something to spot after all.

post-98-0-88604300-1406473647_thumb.jpg

It's an A2/3, and a nice old gentleman tells us this is the 1.45pm KX- Newcastle relief, so it might be Tehran, or Watling Street perhaps.

post-98-0-02778100-1406473858_thumb.jpg

But it isn't of course, it is Dante yet again.

post-98-0-11454400-1406473937_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-19765600-1406473979_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-58704700-1406474024_thumb.jpg

Up the other end, where the spotters have been sternly told to remain, the boos begin to ring out. Back to shove ha'penny for them.

post-98-0-54197100-1406474129_thumb.jpg

I'm perfectly safe standing here, as the train stops. Why is the signalman yelling at me? He knows I have a permit. What's that? Late running... non stop...... still, time to get out of the way, oh no, I 've stepped on something and I'm falling..... aargh..... :scare: To be continued......... :rolleyes_mini: :jester:

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, the N5 is reduced to sneaking into shots.....

Some nice new angles there, Gilbert.  The Thompson's OK too!

Whaddya mean "sneaking". She is right in the middle of the very first shot. :umbrage:  But I shall forgive you, as you have allowed me to find a use for the "umbrage" emoticon. And OK, she only sneaked into the second shot.

• RMweb Premium

Great pics Gilbert - was the fireman drunk when he set the offside lamp?

It was a slight bird strike somewhere near Yaxley that caused that I think. :biggrin_mini2:  Seriously though, there are many photos of the real thing where the lamps have been shoved on any old how, but it looks awful on a model. And I never notice till it is too late. :blind: Nor do I know how to photoshop it straight. Not that i would if I did, of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whaddya mean "sneaking". She is right in the middle of the very first shot. :umbrage:  But I shall forgive you, as you have allowed me to find a use for the "umbrage" emoticon. And OK, she only sneaked into the second shot.

A bit distant I thought.....

N5 Fan Club President.

:angel:

I've been reading up on Peterborough's railway history. I used to think that Peterborough Crescent was where the current NVR station is, but I understand now that it was just south of Crescent Bridge. I spent a lot of time on Sunday at Peterborough station, just watching the world go by, but I also explored Peterborough East. You can't really 'get to it', but PBO East is fascinating in its dereliction, and the platform is still there.

Other than a couple of pictures of Peterborough Crescent, I don't know much about it, and I doubt any of it was left before nationalisation. Does anyone have more information on it?

Other than a couple of pictures of Peterborough Crescent, I don't know much about it, and I doubt any of it was left before nationalisation. Does anyone have more information on it?

IIRC the station building remained in place for many years after the station closed. I may be wrong, but I believe it was only removed when Peterborough North (as was) was rebuilt and the tracks were realigned in the early seventies.

• RMweb Premium

I've been reading up on Peterborough's railway history. I used to think that Peterborough Crescent was where the current NVR station is, but I understand now that it was just south of Crescent Bridge. I spent a lot of time on Sunday at Peterborough station, just watching the world go by, but I also explored Peterborough East. You can't really 'get to it', but PBO East is fascinating in its dereliction, and the platform is still there.

It was certainly still there in the late '50's, as shown by this photo, reproduced courtesy of Andrew C Ingram.

post-98-0-29105800-1406619919_thumb.jpg

Tucked away the wrong side of Crescent Bridge, and behind Crescent Junction box, it would hardly have been visible from the station, or ECML trains, though as this photo shows, passengers on the Midland lines got a very good view. I'm still debating whether it should feature on the layout. It is a complex building though, and would hardly be seen, so It would really be a waste of scarce modelling funds I think.

• Like 9

Will there be a GNR Atlantic running through on a Pegler or IA Special Gilbert....?

Larry do you not remember the trip from Kings Cross to Doncaster returning via Gainsborough & Lincoln  by the preserved Atlantic 251 pulling the Stirling Locomotive Apprediation Group in celebration of the Class built between 1902 & 1910  on the 1st April 1958.

I am sure "Tetley's" will have mentioned it to Gilbert.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

Oh, those lovely 'Extras' and Enthusiasts' 'Specials'; any excuse for almost anything (other than the Fell thingy......don' think that went anywhere?)

Folk went lineside to see that loco wherever it went. I think they were the original Fell walkers.... cluck

• RMweb Gold

(other than the Fell thingy......don' think that went anywhere?)

Unfortunately, I have photographic proof that it traversed the bit of railway I'm modellling on several occasions. Can I reverse Rule One so I never have to model it?

It was a slight bird strike somewhere near Yaxley that caused that I think. :biggrin_mini2:  Seriously though, there are many photos of the real thing where the lamps have been shoved on any old how, but it looks awful on a model. And I never notice till it is too late. :blind: Nor do I know how to photoshop it straight. Not that i would if I did, of course.

The spotters were bored so they got their ipads out and fixed it :jester:

post-15323-0-95297800-1406726634_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

She brazenly stood naked in front of a line of photographers who had each paid £40.00 to take part in a special photoshoot on the GC. One of them shouted to her to get out of the way but he was kicked to death....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2