Peterborough North

great northern

A 1942-er here so I've known LNER locos and a few carrying LMS as well on rail journeys. The exciting bit was seeing the new locos coming on stream from books (Thompson and Peppercorn Pacifics were popular with illustrators of the time) plus brightly painted blood & custard carriages in place of the "brown" or maroon ones. Gas masks yes, rose tinted specs never!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Two more carriages completed, both Dia 186 TSO's. One is a Hornby conversion, the other from a Comet kit, built mainly by our favourite duck, and completed by TW and myself.

post-98-0-78650300-1407255617_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-68187900-1407255649_thumb.jpg

The camera shows up one bit of painting I missed, but otherwise reinforces my view that the conversions really aren't bad at all. These two will now join an existing TSO to make up a three coach set, which will live in a cassette. They will appear, as in real formations, topped and tailed by appropriate brakes as five coach formations, or occasionally as the passenger carrying vars in one or two of the wierd parliamentary trains that were mainly composed of non passenger carrying stock. All in all, a very good result.

• Like 18

I jack my Hornby chassis up with 20thou spacers between the bogie pins and the body. They look better particularly when the chassis has not been narrowed, but i did it essentially so thye would match up with my other LNE and LMS coaches. The two opens look very neat. The MJT D27 open third makes and interesting variant, and some were also used with their 2 + 1 seating for dining purposes - if you have a kitchen dining car.

• RMweb Premium

I jack my Hornby chassis up with 20thou spacers between the bogie pins and the body. They look better particularly when the chassis has not been narrowed, but i did it essentially so thye would match up with my other LNE and LMS coaches. The two opens look very neat. The MJT D27 open third makes and interesting variant, and some were also used with their 2 + 1 seating for dining purposes - if you have a kitchen dining car.

I do have a Dia 27 third Larry, and it will go into a cassette with another conversion - a Dia 10c/144 RF, when that one is finished. I've trawled through all the summer 1958 Official formations, and found that RF/SO was the most common catering combination. It will be available to be slotted into appropriate trains when needed, topped and tailed with coaches from other cassettes. I do like this cassette system!

• Like 3

Two more carriages completed, both Dia 186 TSO's. One is a Hornby conversion, the other from a Comet kit, built mainly by our favourite duck, and completed by TW and myself.

attachicon.gifTSO 1.jpg

attachicon.gifTSO 2.jpg

The camera shows up one bit of painting I missed, but otherwise reinforces my view that the conversions really aren't bad at all. These two will now join an existing TSO to make up a three coach set, which will live in a cassette. They will appear, as in real formations, topped and tailed by appropriate brakes as five coach formations, or occasionally as the passenger carrying vars in one or two of the wierd parliamentary trains that were mainly composed of non passenger carrying stock. All in all, a very good result.

As individual vehicles, both look quite good in the layout setting, but as adjacent vehicles they don't seem to work anywhere near so well. 

Though I didn't check this during the conversion/completion stage (they left my house complete with the exception of end-painting, roof-painting and weathering), and I should have done, they just don't match the way they should. I'm talking here about the ride-height and some other factors. 

There is far too much 'daylight' underneath the Comet carriage and the solebars seem really puny in my opinion. It was beautifully-made (by Mr. Duck), so I didn't bother checking such things, but, in comparison with the conversion, it just isn't compatible. It could be that the Hornby solebars are a bit too deep (and because I didn't thin the floor pan, this appearance could be exacerbated) and/or the Hornby carriage rides too low (as alluded to by Larry). The gangways don't match (I put them on the kit-built one), neither do the cantrails or the bases of the bodies. The Comet buffers are no more than stumps (even retracted, they should be longer than this, surely?) and, of the two, I feel the conversion captures the 'heavy' look of Gresley's splendid carriages much more, despite, as said, the beautiful building (in terms of constructional neatness) of the Comet vehicle.

I cannot remember now about the building of my own Comet coaches, except I didn't use their bogies. Just checking, none of mine appears to ride anywhere near as high as the one on the left in the shot. 

So, lower the Comet model and raise up the Hornby one might be the answer. I can see them coming back!

Edited by Tony Wright

As a full time carriage builder, I can tell you ride-height can be vexing at times. I have been using cast bolsters and a 3-point suspension for 13 years but the caster seems to have used these bolsters as balancing weights in the mould so what arrives in the bag are first, second and third generation castings; all different heights. This means i have to pair them off and jack bogies up at times. Having recently adopted a new range of bogies (that don't require 3-point suspension) in place of my own white metal castings, I can now etch the bolsters in the certain knowledge they are all the same height.

. This otherwise unremarkable train from Grimsby for some reason ran on to Kings Cross on Fridays, though not advertised as doing so in the public timetable. Can any of our ex railwaymen explain the thinking behind that? How many people are going to use a service which they do not know exists?

If this was during the summer, perhaps it was so that another set of carriages would be available at Kings Cross on Saturday for the holiday traffic. 

• RMweb Gold

If this was during the summer, perhaps it was so that another set of carriages would be available at Kings Cross on Saturday for the holiday traffic. 

Entirely plausible, but I infer this ghost-train would have arrived in the smoke late afternoon, so perhaps then formed an FO train back to Lincolnshire?

Entirely plausible, but I infer this ghost-train would have arrived in the smoke late afternoon, so perhaps then formed an FO train back to Lincolnshire?

You could well be right. I believe Gilbert has a copy of the WTT for summer 1958, perhaps he can confirm if such a duty did indeed run on a Friday evening.

• RMweb Premium

• photo-thumb-2326.jpg?_r=1407600546
  •  
  • email_open.png user_delete.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 5,016 posts
  • Location36E most of the time, 36A some of the time!
  •  

Gilbert,

I am getting seriously worried about that "Duck" !!  Is he having a Mid - Life crisis or is he just plain Quackers.

No, he just gets into a bit of a flap now and then, that's all.

Are any of you going to Coventry for RM Live?  I think the creation of Waverley's new home, sorry change that: I meant of course, Mrs. Smiths' new kitchen, means I'll have to pass.

Interesting rant in this month's BRM about the 'exhibition mania' that seems to be sweeping layout builders.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

• photo-thumb-2326.jpg?_r=1407600546
  •  
  • email_open.png user_delete.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 5,016 posts
  • Location36E most of the time, 36A some of the time!
  •  

Gilbert,

I am getting seriously worried about that "Duck" !!  Is he having a Mid - Life crisis or is he just plain Quackers.

My mid life crisis happened just after Ian Botham retired. It didn't hurt much either.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could well be right. I believe Gilbert has a copy of the WTT for summer 1958, perhaps he can confirm if such a duty did indeed run on a Friday.

Summer 1958 WTT duly consulted, which I suppose I should have done in the first place. The train arrived at KX 4.42pm, over four hours after leaving Grimsby. Much staying power was needed in those days!  The return duty is shown as the 11.08 am SO KX - Skegness, so Rob was spot on. I've got a bit confused though, as my formation is the correct one for the Monday to Thursday train, which also ran through to KX, the stock returning as the 4.19pm KX- Peterborough the following day. This is the one that didn't appear in the public timetable between PN and KX. All a bit complicated really, and I suspect almost impossible to get "right". Perhaps I should lower my sights a little.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should lower my sights a little.

No! Understanding what the prototype did is critical to feeling good about operations on PN, having spent so much time and effort on visual authenticity. How you "interpret" the real moves in miniature is about being pragmatic. That is not lowering your sights at all.