Peterborough North

great northern

I had a noisy, crowded houseful of my grown kids and their assorted partners, and it was great.

Empty, or part empty bottles of Southern Comfort, beer, vodka, whisky, port and various wines can be seen and certainly, if anyone has a cold, I don't know it.

Also, the antidote to buying expensive rolling stock... We have a family tradition of a "silly present" for the children collectively and this year's one was a great success

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/grass_stroker/th_IMG_2209_zpsgglr4i0y.mp4

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, off to bed on Christmas Eve, bit of a  cold, but surely no problem?  50 minutes sleep was all I got, as I couldn't lie down or even sit up without coughing. The night was spent, when not coughing, reading the Book of the A1s and A2s, about which I should now know a lot more. Got up at 0600, and spent the day in a haze of sleep deprivation, but the cough of course disappeared.... until bed time. I still had to cook the turkey, as it had been in the fridge for two days, but had no appetite when I sat down to it. The very considerable remains now loom out at me whenever I open the fridge door.

I managed more sleep last night, but not enough. All of which is really just an excuse for a lack of new photos really. But, as every TV channel seems to be running the top 50 ancient films featuring no-one you've even heard of, I thought I'd trawl through the archives and see what I could find. I don't save many images, but the occasional one does survive.

As my skills have now been somewhat enhanced by all the help and advice I've had, I though that I might be able to improve them a bit.

This was the occasion of the first appearance of Dave Shakespeare's A4 Silver Fox on the layout. I've just cropped it a bit more.

I always liked this shot for some reason, and all I've done is more croppping and a bit of toning down of the colours. That signal is off because the station pilot has just removed a van from the train in Platform 2, and the bobby has been a bit slow in returning it to danger.

In summary then, you've been saturated with repeats already, and then you come on here and get more of the same. :mosking: Anyway, the cold will soon pass, though I suspect I shall have to endure a bout of glue brain before it does. My recliner is now calling seductively, the only thing which will no doubt.

Sorry to hear about the cold Gilbert I had the same thing about three weeks ago and it knocked me off my feet for five days culminating in a late night trip to emergency doctor after 2 weeks of it who put me on antibiotics 

Up and about at last - we had 15 for Christmas yesterday and about to go off for another round with the rest of the family

Heigh Ho (Ho Ho!) Get Better soon

Gilbert, I was  very pleased to see PN is one of the finalists for voting in the British Model Railway Awards. I hope it does well. It's been a remarkable thing to see it develop over time and I've certainly enjoyed seeing it come together. It's been great fun to see a bit added to the thread each day and It's been educational too. I think I've learned more from PN about the ECML than from all the books on my shelf. So However it goes in the Polls I just wanted you to know how much this antipodean in particular has appreciated you sharing it with us

Everyone else - Don't forget to vote ;)

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear of your illness, Gilbert, hope it's on the mend?

Whenever I get a cold, I sleep propped up on pillows...I do get SOME sleep, and coughing is reduced.

All the best.

BTW: 60017 looks lovely!

... .  Virtually no-one would have had watches, so some means of informing the workforce when shifts started and finished, plus meal breaks, would have been needed, and a bell would be ideal. I don't know when hooters came in, presumably rather later? The description as the Mess Hall is surely the clincher.

... .

'Hooters.' for meals?  Came in very much later, and an import from America!  :wink_mini:

:locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I was  very pleased to see PN is one of the finalists for voting in the British Model Railway Awards. I hope it does well. It's been a remarkable thing to see it develop over time and I've certainly enjoyed seeing it come together. It's been great fun to see a bit added to the thread each day and It's been educational too. I think I've learned more from PN about the ECML than from all the books on my shelf. So However it goes in the Polls I just wanted you to know how much this antipodean in particular has appreciated you sharing it with us

Everyone else - Don't forget to vote ;)

That is very kind of you Ted. I wasn't aware of it, but having looked at the other layouts in the category, all I can say is that it is an honour to be on the same page.

The great thing about RMWeb for me is that it is a brilliant information exchange. That has certainly been the case with PN, and I've learned a great deal too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of your illness, Gilbert, hope it's on the mend?

Whenever I get a cold, I sleep propped up on pillows...I do get SOME sleep, and coughing is reduced.

All the best.

BTW: 60017 looks lovely!

Thanks Jeff. Propping myself up has always worked for me in the past too, and eventually the coughing has subsided, allowing at least some sleep. This time though, even sitting bolt upright doesn't do the trick, so I finish up just roaming round the house for hours, and so exhausted I don't know what to do. By 0500 today I'd just about lost the will to live, so I got showered and dressed. Guess what, the coughing stopped. Temporarily though, as someone suddenly threw a switch and it was off again. Still, this is day four of the virus, so some signs of improvement should start to show soon, I hope.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Ref coughing at night. I was prescribed DiHydrocodeine for my knee recovery - painkiller - and when I saw the emergency doctor he suggested taking it to reduce coughing - worked like a treat!

Congrats on the award entry - good luck!

My Consultant doesn't seem too concerned Peter. When I went to see him after a previous bad experience, and said I thought I'd cracked a couple of ribs while coughing he just smiled and said "You probably have".

• RMweb Premium

'Hooters.' for meals?  Came in very much later, and an import from America!  :wink_mini:

:locomotive:

True. I couldn't help imagining though the reaction if a branch had suddenly appeared in Peterborough in the late 19th century. All of the pillars of the community would have had to go see for themselves, so that they could be appropriately shocked, and then make arrangements to set one of the girls up in a nice little cottage somewhere discreet. Mind you, they would have had a job even getting through the door, the place would be so packed.

For night coughs, I take original Benylin - *not* the non-drowsy version - just before going to bed.

http://www.benylin.co.uk/products/benylin-chesty-coughs-original?gclid=CjwKEAiAtf6zBRDS0oCLrL37gFUSJACr2JYbpaiulhibp9jYXti68eon0oBvcWbCTtkjRZC2WFnAYRoCtFbw_wcB#how-to-use

I find that it helps to relax me enough to fall asleep and the coughing subsides as I relax.

I never take this during the day, as it makes me feel awful and all I want to do is go to bed.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, if your cold/cough does not start to clear up by mid week please get to see the GP because there are some shite viruses/chest infections around at the moment. Don't be a brave soldier, be a sensible civilian.

All the best,

Duck. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

I hope you feel better soon, not the nicest way to spend Christmas. At least it is cool where you are, we are sweltering in 32 deg C heat while visiting SWMBO's family for the festivities. At least there is this thread to help us get through all the spoiled brats, excessively loud relations and inevitable one-upmanship that seems to be the norm around the Christmas table these days. To help ease me through I had to get some A3 painkillers in the form of 60062 Minoru that is now winging its way to Oz ex Liverpool. I thoroughly recommend this remedy...

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two friends of mine and myself have had really bad coughs - enough to keep us awake at night. All three of us have had it for ten (yes, 10) weeks and have had chest x-rays etc. It is just an infection that is going round and is a right so and so to shake off.

I'm feeling better now but still a bit out of sorts. I hope that what you have picked up is not that bug, look after yourself and don't push too hard too soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the cold Gilbert I had the same thing about three weeks ago and it knocked me off my feet for five days culminating in a late night trip to emergency doctor after 2 weeks of it who put me on antibiotics 

Up and about at last - we had 15 for Christmas yesterday and about to go off for another round with the rest of the family

Heigh Ho (Ho Ho!) Get Better soon

15 what?  Not ducks I hope?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two friends of mine and myself have had really bad coughs - enough to keep us awake at night. All three of us have had it for ten (yes, 10) weeks and have had chest x-rays etc. It is just an infection that is going round and is a right so and so to shake off.

I'm feeling better now but still a bit out of sorts. I hope that what you have picked up is not that bug, look after yourself and don't push too hard too soon.

Not every night I hope Richard. Four in a row has just about floored me. Some of my mates at the Golf club have had something very similar, but I thought I'd escaped it. Nothing to be done but make the best of it though. The doctors at our Health Centre speak very disparagingly about cough medicine.

• RMweb Premium

I very nearly managed to fall asleep while standing up during the night, not a good idea, so I sat at the PC and had a go at another Elizabethan image. It isn't very good, but there are extenuating circumstances.

post-98-0-28794400-1451301789_thumb.jpg

Very funny things can happen if you cough while moving the eraser tool. I think I repaired most of them.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I was lucky, only a couple of nights at a time but with my friends it was four or five nights at a time. But the cough - a very dry tickly one, a coughing fit would start and I'd be unable to breathe, almost keeling over before it would stop. Original Benylin helped a bit but not for long. A deep breath or a lungful of cold air would trigger the cough. Laughing still does, it's the sharp intake of air ....

I really hope you haven't got that one.

Not every night I hope Richard. Four in a row has just about floored me. Some of my mates at the Golf club have had something very similar, but I thought I'd escaped it. Nothing to be done but make the best of it though. The doctors at our Health Centre speak very disparagingly about cough medicine.

Oh no!

Am I poisoning myself with spoonfuls of Benylin? 

Oh well. It is probably too late to do much about it now.