Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

It has happened again! That first photo' had me caught out, I really thought you had posted a prototype shot to help illustrate a point! It is, of course, the model, but how good and magnificent it looks. Please keep these photos coming.

Warm regards,

Rob.

Just as it was on most stations in the day.

Regarding your black and white first shot of the V2 over the page, it's reminiscent of many taken by amateurs when B&W and cheap cameras ruled: backlit.

Does your camera have spot metering? Mine, a relatively cheap Lumix TZ40 has both that, and "intelligent Auto", which takes up to half a dozen shots and digitally combines them to get the best exposure for all areas. it's almost impossible to take a poor shot.

Spot metering would help if that's what you have available?

• RMweb Premium

Just as it was on most stations in the day.

Regarding your black and white first shot of the V2 over the page, it's reminiscent of many taken by amateurs when B&W and cheap cameras ruled: backlit.

Does your camera have spot metering? Mine, a relatively cheap Lumix TZ40 has both that, and "intelligent Auto", which takes up to half a dozen shots and digitally combines them to get the best exposure for all areas. it's almost impossible to take a poor shot.

Spot metering would help if that's what you have available?

Thanks Jeff. I've had a look in the manual, and spot metering is available, so next time I can get any photography done I'll have a play with it.

• RMweb Premium

More family duties today, so just this one image left in the store.

post-98-0-35239600-1450604914_thumb.jpg

it will please at least one regular follower of the thread. :sungum:

A plea for information if anyone can help. I've just bought a Southern Pride Etchmaster kit , and the instructions have me slightly baffled. Has anyone experience of putting these together? I'd appreciate some assistance if so.

• Like 18

Tomorrow, there will be developments. :secret:

Xmas shoppers special off the Western Region rearranges the platforms......?  Blocked drains in Peterborough after last weeks Brussels Sprout Special derailed and contents stolen......? Large erection of Edward Thompson being positioned in forecourt.....?

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

More family duties today, so just this one image left in the store.

attachicon.gifN5 2.jpg

it will please at least one regular follower of the thread. :sungum:

A plea for information if anyone can help. I've just bought a Southern Pride Etchmaster kit , and the instructions have me slightly baffled. Has anyone experience of putting these together? I'd appreciate some assistance if so.

Gilbert,

I've built an etch master Mk 1 BSO, so if you still need help I can try. I remember that I had almost finished it when I realised that I'd glued the clear plastic sides in the wrong place and had to pull it apart and re-glue

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

That looks really good. It is an excellent compromise between the model and reality. I am not sure what else you can do. It works better than what you had along there before. I know that I was thinking semi-relief for those houses, but this is a much better solution. I look forward to seeing the buildings seated into place, etc.

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

I've built an etch master Mk 1 BSO, so if you still need help I can try. I remember that I had almost finished it when I realised that I'd glued the clear plastic sides in the wrong place and had to pull it apart and re-glue

Regards

Andy

Easier to reside a Bachmann SO

post-96-0-53414000-1450737799_thumb.jpg

I think I showed you a picture of this earlier in the year. I've a second set of sides done. Lots more t do though unless Hornby or Bachmann spring a surprise on us! Standard SO/SK along side

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Easier to reside a Bachmann SO

attachicon.gif24112011143_a.jpg

I think I showed you a picture of this earlier in the year. I've a second set of sides done. Lots more t do though unless Hornby or Bachmann spring a surprise on us! Standard SO/SK along side

Thanks David. I decided to try to take another step forward by attempting a full kit, and this one needs very little soldering, which is why I chose it. I just need to get my head round the instructions before I attempt it.

• RMweb Premium

My pleasure Gilbert. It is always nice to know that one has been able to help someone with similar interests and passions. Once I get going on my project I'll be very happy if I get anywhere near the level of detail you have achieved. mind you I might be taking on a bigger challenge - N instead of OO!

But in the meantime you may be able to answer something that puzzles me, the building nearest the station has what looks almost like a 'belltower' or belfry for a bell on it and that has intrigued me for some time. Have you found out what the building actually was?

Please don't forget, if you need any photographs of the current infrastructure or any building relevant to your era that still exist please let me know and I will do what I can to oblige.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My pleasure Gilbert. It is always nice to know that one has been able to help someone with similar interests and passions. Once I get going on my project I'll be very happy if I get anywhere near the level of detail you have achieved. mind you I might be taking on a bigger challenge - N instead of OO!

But in the meantime you may be able to answer something that puzzles me, the building nearest the station has what looks almost like a 'belltower' or belfry for a bell on it and that has intrigued me for some time. Have you found out what the building actually was?

Please don't forget, if you need any photographs of the current infrastructure or any building relevant to your era that still exist please let me know and I will do what I can to oblige.

Peter asked me the same question about that tower yesterday Richard, and I have to confess that I have no idea. It certainly looks like a bell tower, but I can't imagine why it would be needed. The building is so small that it can't have been a meeting place, surely, so why would a bell be needed to summon people? Some kind of warning signal? That doesn't seem logical either. If anyone can solve this one I shall be most obliged.

• RMweb Premium

Sitting here waiting for someone to come and replace a dead heating thermostat, so I took some more photos to show what got done yesterday after I put  the camera away.

post-98-0-34340700-1450794471_thumb.jpg

The street wall is now in place, conveniently closing the gap between the buildings, though it turns out to be not quite high enough to block out all that is behind. The windows have also been weathered on the single storey one. They look as nice as I hoped they would with a sky behind them.

post-98-0-44378700-1450794799_thumb.jpg

And from this angle too.

post-98-0-85517500-1450794866_thumb.jpg

And here is the rest of the wall, but as yet without coping stones. Not very exciting, but this shows the area where the low relief terraces will sit, so that the upper storey only shows as on the real thing. Peter held the previous board up for me to have a look, and it seemed to work well, but as I'm on my own today, I can't repeat the exercise to show you.

post-98-0-26012600-1450795129_thumb.jpg

It really does look good from any angle. Peter was worried that it might not, but I haven't yet found a viewpoint that doesn't work. I can now get on with all the detailing and ground cover to finish the job off.

post-98-0-88553600-1450795327_thumb.jpg

This one proved impossible to photoshop, as the background colours come out so similar that the programme can't distinguish them, and removes bits that I wish it wouldn't. I'll put these up now, and as I'm still waiting I'll process one or two more.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Peter asked me the same question about that tower yesterday Richard, and I have to confess that I have no idea. It certainly looks like a bell tower, but I can't imagine why it would be needed. The building is so small that it can't have been a meeting place, surely, so why would a bell be needed to summon people? Some kind of warning signal? That doesn't seem logical either. If anyone can solve this one I shall be most obliged.

Could it have been a training 'room'? The call to 'lessons' for young Engineers may have been by bell? Total carp I know, but it is Christmas and bad jokes are rife.

Ducky

• RMweb Premium

Could it have been a training 'room'? The call to 'lessons' for young Engineers may have been by bell? Total carp I know, but it is Christmas and bad jokes are rife.

Ducky

Why not Phil? Bells are usually either for celebration, or for summoning people for some purpose. I rate it as more likely than the the possibility that it was provided for the benefit of spotters, who were allowed to go and ring it to celebrate any Scottish cops that happened to pass through.

• Like 1