Peterborough North

great northern

'orrible 'ornbys, shown up by a professional job with MJT sides.

AH - I have seen references to the shortcomings of the Hornby models but had not seen it made so plain as by your photo, which makes them look almost flat sided. It must be a dilemma as to whether to use them at all.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

AH - I have seen references to the shortcomings of the Hornby models but had not seen it made so plain as by your photo, which makes them look almost flat sided. It must be a dilemma as to whether to use them at all.

Chaz

At the moment I have no alternative Chaz, though plans are in place to do something about it. Those all door seconds are essential for any Eastern Region model, so I have to put up with them.

A bit more black and white.....

attachicon.gif5 DE.JPG

and a short parcels train rolls through from Westwood yard.

attachicon.gif6 J3 1.JPG

after I posted last night I realised that if I cropped the first of those images a bit more it might look even better.

attachicon.gif2 90 2.JPG

and I think it does. Now I await the arrival of the Master of Little Bytham.

Very nice images, Gilbert,

Thanks for your hospitality today.

The layout's really coming along, and please let me know if the K2 and B17 misbehave again. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

As I believe PN is based on the summer of 1958, is this modellers licence when to my believe J3 Class  64122  was withdrawn in  April 1953 ?

Just being curious.

Regards,Derek.

You mustn't believe everything you read Derek. :jester:  Mistakes were made. 4122 was somewhere out in the wilds of deepest darkest Lincolnshire when the summons to Doncaster came, and the clerk who received it inadvertently binned it. New England being such a big shed, no-one noticed it was still in service, so it kept getting used on light duties for several more years.

Actually, I have admitted to this anomaly more than once before, but if you were offered a loco like this by TW,would you turn it down?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here is that Hornby all door brake, next to a Kirk all door second.

attachicon.gif2 all doors.JPG

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that, with all its faults, I'd rather have the Kirk. Any views?

Focus then on Tottenham Hotspur, an appropriate B17, given that their players have a lot resting on their shoulders later.

attachicon.gif3 1630 2.JPG

Gilbert,

I’m a little confused by your ‘Hornby’ all door BSK as I don’t remember one of these ever being in their range. They make a BCK of course, but is this some metal sides on a donor coach?

With regards to the Hornby vs Kirk debate, I’m in two minds. I accept that the tumblehome is a key feature if these coaches and it’s poor rendition on the Hornby’s is a serious fault. However (almost?) everything else about the Hornby is better than the Kirk’s - underframe detail, flush glazing, door handles, roof detail, bogies (if you can keep the step boards on!), end detail, interior..... For me the real problem is when Hornbys are mixed with other Gresley coaches as this shows up the tumblehome problem and also shows up things like the lack of flush glazing on the Kirk’s. An all Kirk rake or an all Hornby rake (although it’s difficult to form a prototypical rake with their selection of diagrams) both look fine to me.

I find Kirk sides on Hornby donors work well if you file down the end to give the correct tumblehome, but of course, etched sides on a kit built coach (or a Hornby donor) give the best of both worlds.

Just my views and I know I will stir up some anti Hornby venom!

Andy

• Like 2

Kirk's ?? compared to modern etched and r.t.r  coaches they are simply dire , all the above mentioned faults in the previous post, even the Roofs simply don't fit , the mouldings are crude in general and in detail and a product of the 1970's or earlier ?. The only part worth keeping is the basic box, the rest needs replacing with e.g MJT parts.

Big things are made about the Hornby Tumblehome and the lack off one, the real ones have a 3inch tumblehome that is 1mm in 4mm . You could say the earlier photo above  with the MJT coach leading the Hornby's are that the Tumblehome is actually far too deep ??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I’m a little confused by your ‘Hornby’ all door BSK as I don’t remember one of these ever being in their range. They make a BCK of course, but is this some metal sides on a donor coach?

With regards to the Hornby vs Kirk debate, I’m in two minds. I accept that the tumblehome is a key feature if these coaches and it’s poor rendition on the Hornby’s is a serious fault. However (almost?) everything else about the Hornby is better than the Kirk’s - underframe detail, flush glazing, door handles, roof detail, bogies (if you can keep the step boards on!), end detail, interior..... For me the real problem is when Hornbys are mixed with other Gresley coaches as this shows up the tumblehome problem and also shows up things like the lack of flush glazing on the Kirk’s. An all Kirk rake or an all Hornby rake (although it’s difficult to form a prototypical rake with their selection of diagrams) both look fine to me.

I find Kirk sides on Hornby donors work well if you file down the end to give the correct tumblehome, but of course, etched sides on a kit built coach (or a Hornby donor) give the best of both worlds.

Just my views and I know I will stir up some anti Hornby venom!

Andy

I'm a lot confused Andy. Of course Hornby don't do an 'orrible BSK- theirs is an 'orrible BCK. I can't remember how or where I acquired that BSK, but it isn't up to much. It isn't just the lack of tumblehome that so disappoints me about the Hornby coaches, the wrongly positioned waistband just compounds it.  It's a personal thing, but I really do dislike them to the extent that almost anything is preferable.

As you say, it is best to keep Hornby and Kirk in separate rakes, and mostly I do. In fact, as the next image shows, nearly all of this formation is KIrk. I hasten to add I have nothing against Hornby, they have done some very good stuff, but the Gresleys were an opportunity wasted which still irks me all these years later.

• RMweb Premium

Kirk's ?? compared to modern etched and r.t.r  coaches they are simply dire , all the above mentioned faults in the previous post, even the Roofs simply don't fit , the mouldings are crude in general and in detail and a product of the 1970's or earlier ?. The only part worth keeping is the basic box, the rest needs replacing with e.g MJT parts.

Big things are made about the Hornby Tumblehome and the lack off one, the real ones have a 3inch tumblehome that is 1mm in 4mm . You could say the earlier photo above  with the MJT coach leading the Hornby's are that the Tumblehome is actually far too deep ??

Personal preference Mick, but I'd rather it was too deep than for it not to be there at all.