Peterborough North

great northern

The handles don't fold back on NE lamps - at least not on the one in my garage, that came off 60007.

Oh, that's too bad for that "bright" idea.

BTW is there a statute of limitations WRT unofficially relocating A4 running lamps? Given it was Government equipment, you might find the plod knocking at your door! :jester: :sungum:

C

Edited by BWsTrains

After which a close up of an Ivatt is perhaps a little unfair. Utilitarian, if we are trying to think of a kind description.

attachicon.gif18 3142 1.JPG

I do like ugly, I've always had a soft spot for workman like locos.

I never saw many on my side of Manchester. I think that is why they made an impression on me.

Striking, I would call them.

C.

• Like 1

I am in complete agreement. There are problems though. One is getting the overscale things off, as they are very firmly attached. The next is that the lovely LMS ones are a bit small for my eyes to cope with, and the last is that the also lovely but tiny Modelu ones are very fiddly indeed. It's OK if I can attach them permanently, but most of my locos handle more than one class of train, so they have to be moveable.

Hi Gilbert

When you say firmly attached do you mean they are glued to the lamp irons?

The problem with Hornby lamp irons are, they are a good size but very flimsy especially on the A4’s and the lamp irons on Bachmann’s A1’s & A2’s are too thick to be able to drill a small pilot hole in the base of the lamp.

I get around this by replacing as and when required using a small straight section of a metal staple.

I have managed to find a staple exactly the same section as the lamp irons on the Hornby A3’s & A4’s.

Easy to fit just a small hole with a pin vice about 0.6mm into the loco body, cut, glue and insert the staple that way they are much sturdier.

Sorry to bore you if you do this already.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, that's too bad for that "bright" idea.

BTW is there a statute of limitations WRT unofficially relocating A4 running lamps? Given it was Government equipment, you might find the plod knocking at your door! :jester: :sungum:

C

It was the property of the A4 Locomotive Society when it was given to me - by a founder member!  Back in the NCB Philadelphia days.  As for Plod - guess where I used to work….. :onthequiet:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

When you say firmly attached do you mean they are glued to the lamp irons?

The problem with Hornby lamp irons are, they are a good size but very flimsy especially on the A4’s and the lamp irons on Bachmann’s A1’s & A2’s are too thick to be able to drill a small pilot hole in the base of the lamp.

I get around this by replacing as and when required using a small straight section of a metal staple.

I have managed to find a staple exactly the same section as the lamp irons on the Hornby A3’s & A4’s.

Easy to fit just a small hole with a pin vice about 0.6mm into the loco body, cut, glue and insert the staple that way they are much sturdier.

Sorry to bore you if you do this already.

Regards

David

Hi David,

My problem is with vision at the range needed to do this kind of work. I have even had a pair of specs done which are supposed to work at that distance, but even so I struggle. That means I rely on people who can see a lot better than I, mainly Tim, but as we meet up for a few hours every couple of months or so, there is always a lot to be done, so we never get round to everything. It's just one of those things to be accepted with advancing age, I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

It was the property of the A4 Locomotive Society when it was given to me - by a founder member!  Back in the NCB Philadelphia days.  As for Plod - guess where I used to work….. :onthequiet:

A man of the utmost probity, and with an impeccable past. My only criticism is:- why is it hidden away in the garage? An item of such historical significance surely deserves a glass display case, and a spotlight.

• RMweb Premium

I always think of them as purposeful-looking.

Paul

Hard to put into words, this one. I find a WD attractive in a stark and utilitarian way, to the extent that I enjoy photographing them, and even giving them a bit of a feature. The Ivatts get a look in only because I have committed myself to recording all that goes on at PN.

That Standard four was essentially a development of the Ivatt, was it not?  Someone obviously took a decision to try to make it look somewhat aesthetically pleasing though, which didn't happen with the mucky duck.

A man of the utmost probity, and with an impeccable past. My only criticism is:- why is it hidden away in the garage? An item of such historical significance surely deserves a glass display case, and a spotlight.

Good job I was joking or I might face problems at UK Immigration later this year  :sungum: 

Colin

• RMweb Premium

A couple more hopeful shots against the light this morning. From the loading dock, we see the B17 waiting for 75060 to come off the Ely, so that it can take over.

post-98-0-01909900-1532683301_thumb.jpg

If we move to the bay, we can get another angle on 60048 and 75060.

post-98-0-68142600-1532683384_thumb.jpg

a lot of cropping went on with these two, to avoid near impossible photoshopping.

Now I have a new book of pictures of A4s to look at. Ordered online yesterday evening, and arrived before 0900 today! There are some advantages to modern living.

• Like 12

Hard to put into words, this one. I find a WD attractive in a stark and utilitarian way, to the extent that I enjoy photographing them, and even giving them a bit of a feature. The Ivatts get a look in only because I have committed myself to recording all that goes on at PN.

That Standard four was essentially a development of the Ivatt, was it not?  Someone obviously took a decision to try to make it look somewhat aesthetically pleasing though, which didn't happen with the mucky duck.

I do like the Ivatt 4mts and any representation of the M&GN in the 50s has to include them, I have two, now waiting for conversion to EM and a layout big enough to run them on.  Like the WDs I think they have a purposeful look about them and a design I like.

Great photos as always, look forward to my daily fix.

Martyn 

• RMweb Premium

Erm, the NCB?????

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Gilbert!  It used to be on the 'Steamplex' at Groudle, but John sold it to pursue other interests so its back home.  The Steamplex was like an A4, but....not.  Can't find a photo of it with the lamp on!  You can see the lamp bracket anyway.

post-10195-0-11134300-1532691580_thumb.jpg

Back on topic......

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 5

Simples,  The Fire Brigade.    :nono:

As it is my 1313 post I thought I should be silly.

Gilbert replies, What's different. :no:

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oi!

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have had better days. :ireful:  Nevertheless, here is another look at the Cleethorpes B1.

post-98-0-94380000-1532813242_thumb.jpg

and now for something that will make one person happy,(again)as the south end pilot shunts stock into Platform 6, while displaying a full complement of lamps upon the irons provided.

post-98-0-68172700-1532813348_thumb.jpg

• Like 19