Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I'm sure it's somewhere in the 753 pages but how do you get the excellent "whited out" back-scenes? Really adds to focus of all your settings,

Colin

He's put white card up behind the layout, and spends an age photoshopping extraneous things out for us.

It is photoshopping the image itself that sometimes takes a while. After doing that, I just choose one of a selection of skies, and apply it as a background layer. Lately, I've been taking almost all of the colour out of them, as people tell me that it is less distracting. Two layers is my present limit though, I'd get very twitchy if I tried to do more.

Hi Gilbert

I've just finished reading your article in the latest Hornby magazine. As ever, an informative guide on how to plan and, using a dreadful modern businessism, optimise your stock to produce the timetable. I particularly liked the methodological storage of locos and stock off scene. On my teenage layout, I was conscious when I wrote timetables not to reuse stock. For the layout in my mind, I'll eventually adopt some of your methods on use/resuse of carriages and loco diagramming! A point well made about freight stock. That's the aspect I find hardest as I never witnessed that type of operation and it's harder to visualise than the named passenger express side.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I've just finished reading your article in the latest Hornby magazine. As ever, an informative guide on how to plan and, using a dreadful modern businessism, optimise your stock to produce the timetable. I particularly liked the methodological storage of locos and stock off scene. On my teenage layout, I was conscious when I wrote timetables not to reuse stock. For the layout in my mind, I'll eventually adopt some of your methods on use/resuse of carriages and loco diagramming! A point well made about freight stock. That's the aspect I find hardest as I never witnessed that type of operation and it's harder to visualise than the named passenger express side.

David

That's news to me David! HM haven't told me that it had been used. Still, it means a bit more modelling funds will be available.

• RMweb Premium

The 7.53 from Sunderland, the only regularly diagrammed Heaton duty which got further than Grantham. A1 hauled today.

post-98-0-06768200-1533892169_thumb.jpg

It is seen running in, and then running under.

post-98-0-57063000-1533892236_thumb.jpg

Very shortly the loco will come off, and have a rest before heading home.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

We have a procession of expresses at the moment, the next being the 8.00am Up Newcastle, which Knight of Thistle has taken over at Grantham. It is first seen from the Midland lines.

attachicon.gif4 65 1.JPG

and then from Platform 3, by our man who likes his close ups.

attachicon.gif5 65 2.JPG

I've been reading one of them ology books about golf, and concluded that I do not concentrate properly. I now have a distraction exercise to practice, which is to say "back" when I think I'm at the top of my bachswing, and "hit" at the moment when I strike the ball. This proves to be remarkably difficult, as does typing the word meoment, momeent,moemnet. :scratchhead:

Hi Gilbert

I don't know much about golf but is that book right? I get the saying of "back" when the club (I was going to say stick but remembered just in time) is at the top of the back swing and in some ways shouting "hit" proving you do hit the ball. But what about saying "swish" or "swosh" as the club is being driven from the top of the back swing to the hit position. Surely you need to concentrate during that phase as well?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I don't know much about golf but is that book right? I get the saying of "back" when the club (I was going to say stick but remembered just in time) is at the top of the back swing and in some ways shouting "hit" proving you do hit the ball. But what about saying "swish" or "swosh" as the club is being driven from the top of the back swing to the hit position. Surely you need to concentrate during that phase as well?

Hi Clive,

It's a distraction technique really. The intention is to get you interested in something which takes your mind off technical swing thoughts, and lets your body get on with doing what it already knows what to do, if allowed to do so without interference.

The idea is that it fosters relaxed concentration. The player then does the setting up of the body, identifies a target, and then swings the club without any thought at all. That's a very condensed explanation, but we don't want to get into detail about golf on a railway thread. All I'll add is that suddenly I'm playing better than I have for ages, and actually enjoying myself too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, if I interfered with my body I think I'd fall over.

Ima Thompsonpacific

Very true Phil. The example this author gives is about running down stairs. If you thought about every muscle movement needed to do it successfully before you started, disaster would surely follow.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

He doesn't need to. His golf sticks clubs are fitted with DCC sound.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Back to trains. Here is a photo which I rapidly decided I was not going to be able to photoshop properly. I was about to bin it, but then remembered that some of you like to see the layout warts and all.

post-98-0-24168200-1533916305_thumb.jpg

The area above the front of the first carriage was what defeated me, as it is just a blur of very similar colours.

Incidentally, I've had three scam calls today from people, using the term loosely, who claim to be from Microsoft. After the last one, I decided the next lying crook would get a blast on a whistle down the phone. A few minutes ago it rang again. Fortunately I hesitated, as it turned out to be Tony Wright at the other end!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Back to trains. Here is a photo which I rapidly decided I was not going to be able to photoshop properly. I was about to bin it, but then remembered that some of you like to see the layout warts and all.

attachicon.gif6 126 2.JPG

The area above the front of the first carriage was what defeated me, as it is just a blur of very similar colours.

Incidentally, I've had three scam calls today from people, using the term loosely, who claim to be from Microsoft. After the last one, I decided the next lying crook would get a blast on a whistle down the phone. A few minutes ago it rang again. Fortunately I hesitated, as it turned out to be Tony Wright at the other end!

Hi Gilbert

Are the calls claiming your computer has a problem? If so use my friends teenage son's response. "Wow I am so glad you told me, see I am a burglar and I just about to steal it, thanks." :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Are the calls claiming your computer has a problem? If so use my friends teenage son's response. "Wow I am so glad you told me, see I am a burglar and I just about to steal it, thanks." :O

There are the ones from "Telephone Preference Service Management" as well. I've had more than enough, so I now just say, whoever they claim to be, " No you aren't, you are a scammer in India". Then I give them a graphic description of themselves, by which time they have usually hung up, which is what should be done to them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What's going on? The Sunderland has restarted. We missed the engine change, and someone decided to ignore the loco and take a picture of the triplet set instead.

attachicon.gif7 triplet.JPG

But of course we have another man round the bend, and he captured the A2/3 in all its glory.attachicon.gif8 523.JPG

Looks like the RH end of the centre vehicle in the triplet set would benefit from a spacing washer on the bogie pivot.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

There are the ones from "Telephone Preference Service Management" as well. I've had more than enough, so I now just say, whoever they claim to be, " No you aren't, you are a scammer in India". Then I give them a graphic description of themselves, by which time they have usually hung up, which is what should be done to them.

I have found that chaps from the sub-continent do not enjoy me asking “Does your mother know you do this?”

What's going on? The Sunderland has restarted. We missed the engine change, and someone decided to ignore the loco and take a picture of the triplet set instead.

attachicon.gif7 triplet.JPG

But of course we have another man round the bend, and he captured the A2/3 in all its glory.attachicon.gif8 523.JPG

He must be "round the bend" to be using the word "glory" on old Sunk **********. 

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'm afraid that's the end of this thread folks. I've just had a call from BT to say that my internet is being cut off today. It must be genuine, because the caller had an "American" accent. It was an automated call, so there is nothing I can do. I am a bit puzzled though, as I'm not a BT customer. :scratchhead: So I'd better put a couple more images up while I can, hadn't I? Here is the midday pick up from New England to Hitchin, which photographs show to have been always WD hauled.

post-98-0-74793500-1533977028_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-98820200-1533977068_thumb.jpg

Wait a minute though. I've just played the call back again. If I press 1 I get to speak to someone. Perhaps if I have my credit card handy I may not get cut off after all. :jester:

PS. It was a lousy attempt at an American accent, by someone who deserves to have something cut off. Something personal in their case.

• Like 17

Friend of mine plays them along, then says there's someone at the door, puts phone down and goes away for ten.

When he comes back he ghives them another 30 seconds and a pot is boiling over. Ten later he picks the phone up off the table again...they are usually not there.

I just insist in speaking french...that does it.

• Like 3

I have had the same automatic American telling me that HM Gov were taking me to court and I should contact my case officer!

I, instead, contacted the Fraud Line!They were very helpful.

Wether anything will come of it, I don't know. Made me feel good!!

• Like 5