Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

G, are you putting another 'stilt shed' up against that Bridge behind the Footballer? In one of your mags you loaned me, it shows the under-bridge and next to bridge detail to some extent. I shall be returning that mag to you in due course.

Phil

Everything is a bit out of position because of the tightness of the curve Phil. The tranship shed and the goods depot building should really be at right angles to each other. Peter Leyland will be visiting again next Sunday, and we shall then have another really good look at the whole area.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

getting back on topic after me digressing.

I just love the photograph of 60505 Thane of Fife taken by our man lurking by Crescent box who is well positioned to get some broadside on shots..This is clearly one of his better ones      In the KRP mould in my opinion, just hope he doesn't get quite as forgetful as dear Keith.

Derek.

Morning Derek. Sorry, I meant to reply to this ages ago, but I forgot.

• Like 1

How many Locos do you have access to? I don't think I've seen the same one repeated while I've been following.

PS re Oz, depends where. Here in Melbourne we seem to have slipped a thou kilometres nearer to Antarctica recently. A crane here made news when its gantry was blown backwards thru about 90 degrees, enough to close down an inner suburb given the risk of toppling over backwards. Temps in low teens, effectively near zero allowing for wind chill.   

Colin

• RMweb Premium

How many Locos do you have access to? I don't think I've seen the same one repeated while I've been following.

PS re Oz, depends where. Here in Melbourne we seem to have slipped a thou kilometres nearer to Antarctica recently. A crane here made news when its gantry was blown backwards thru about 90 degrees, enough to close down an inner suburb given the risk of toppling over backwards. Temps in low teens, effectively near zero allowing for wind chill.   

Colin

147 locos at last count. The sequence takes many weeks, and most locos work only once or twice during it, so it does take a while to cop them all.

147 locos at last count. The sequence takes many weeks, and most locos work only once or twice during it, so it does take a while to cop them all.

Thank goodness for that!

That makes my vast roster of Black 5s and Jubilees seem reasonable!!!!

I have a question about O1s.

You and your mates are my go to guys for BR, Eastern questions.

I have a Ks O3 which I got off EBay. Needs repainting but I have a Manchester prototype for her.

Similarly, I have a Little Engines O4/8 to build.  I have a long standing Gorton engine to make from this. Regular through Victoria on transfer freights.

Couldn't resist a Hornby O1. Handsome beast!

I thought I had a shot to renumber her on, of course now I can't find it!!!

If anybody can point me in the direction of a shot to base her on or at least some numbers to play with, I'd be very grateful.

Time period, though I am nothing if not flexible!!! Nationalisation to end of steam!

Thanks Folks,

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

We come to the last photos of 60013. The end of the PSR is in sight, and no doubt the regulator is already well open to get the train back up to speed.

post-98-0-67957600-1532510514_thumb.jpg

but there is time for one more close look before she disappears.

post-98-0-09827100-1532510591_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

We come to the last photos of 60013. The end of the PSR is in sight, and no doubt the regulator is already well open to get the train back up to speed.

11 13 11.JPG

12 13 12.JPG

Looks like there may be a problem with the valve gear....

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness for that!

That makes my vast roster of Black 5s and Jubilees seem reasonable!!!!

I have a question about O1s.

You and your mates are my go to guys for BR, Eastern questions.

I have a Ks O3 which I got off EBay. Needs repainting but I have a Manchester prototype for her.

Similarly, I have a Little Engines O4/8 to build.  I have a long standing Gorton engine to make from this. Regular through Victoria on transfer freights.

Couldn't resist a Hornby O1. Handsome beast!

I thought I had a shot to renumber her on, of course now I can't find it!!!

If anybody can point me in the direction of a shot to base her on or at least some numbers to play with, I'd be very grateful.

Time period, though I am nothing if not flexible!!! Nationalisation to end of steam!

Thanks Folks,

Chris.

01s at Gorton only until 1950, so you'll need an engine in early condition.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like there may be a problem with the valve gear....

Yes indeed. Not noticed till I looked at the photo of course. She ran perfectly back to the storage area, but I'll get her out and check everything when I have time. Off for more very hot golfing shortly though. 60 years ago I'd have been right next to the GC main line. it was all on embankment too, so spectacular views.

attachicon.gif11 13 11.JPG

attachicon.gif12 13 12.JPG

Hi Gilbert

You have a wonderful layout with great model locomotives, if I could make just one criticism/ comment change this springside lampa to the LMS ones which as you know are a much better scale.

Please keep the photos coming.

Regards

David

Hi Gilbert

You have a wonderful layout with great model locomotives, if I could make just one criticism/ comment change this springside lampa to the LMS ones which as you know are a much better scale.

Regards

David

even better, use the correct scale lamps from modelu.superb

01s at Gorton only until 1950, so you'll need an engine in early condition.

You have delivered the goods again!!

Found various numbers from a shed bash in 1958. Dosen't have to be local I'll 'Borrow' somebody else's loco.

The magic Rule1 shot is of a Tyne Docker out of overhaul at Gorton works!!

Cross Manchester freight seems like a good running-in turn!!!!

Thanks again,

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Regards

David

even better, use the correct scale lamps from modelu.superb

I am in complete agreement. There are problems though. One is getting the overscale things off, as they are very firmly attached. The next is that the lovely LMS ones are a bit small for my eyes to cope with, and the last is that the also lovely but tiny Modelu ones are very fiddly indeed. It's OK if I can attach them permanently, but most of my locos handle more than one class of train, so they have to be moveable.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

Regards

David

One simple and effective trick, favoured by the late John Flann, is to just nick off the carrying handle which contributes to the oversize appearance. (or nick off and glue back in a folded back position perhaps).

I'm not sure how much of a mm we're talking about here in terms of being overscale but those big "pot handles" make the appearance much larger in a sort of "trompe l'oeil". You can judge for yourself in a photo from his Hintock. 

post-26975-0-51625300-1532558331_thumb.jpg

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The 9.40 Newcastle, one of Grantham's top link jobs, and still entrusted to a single blast A3.

post-98-0-53105400-1532597972_thumb.jpg

The sun has been very cruel to the weathering on the tender.

post-98-0-44940700-1532598049_thumb.jpg

but achieves a totally different effect on this one. I'm afraid Doncaster also still has the over large lamps. I've just found two more packets of LMS ones, so I shall see what can be done. Eventually.

• Like 15