Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert

Try Polyfilla (or similar) rubbed dry into the surface to flatten/fill then spray with a water mist.

When dry go over it again with some mixed filler to form flatter areas.

Another way I have used is to flood the area with PVA mixed the same way as for ballasting to remove the coarseness, when dry apply some more if necessary.

or a combination of both of course would also work.

• RMweb Gold

I won’t say what I’m thinking about the naughty pigeons on the hotel roof!  :jester:   Except they are always full of it aren’t they! lol. And you should see Beverley station platforms. Covered in it they are!  :O 

Conversely, Mons Meg looks superb, and not anything untoward from pigeons, or anything else with wings, to be seen.....

With best regards,

Rob. 

P.S. I like pigeons, mostly....;)

• RMweb Premium

Today has worked out very strangely on the golf course, and will require a lot of thought when I am less tired. I shall also defer thoughts about the interesting and helpful suggestions above, as my brain seems a bit fuzzy at the moment. So, just a couple more images tonight. First is a variation on an earlier shot with that Ivatt lurking in the shadows if you look closely.

attachicon.gif10 Ivatt 2.JPG

Then there is another, but much closer look at Mons Meg. I took two pictures of the same scene, because I suspected that the camera might have got shaken a bit on the first one. It hadn't, so rather than bin the other one, I did this.

attachicon.gif13 504 alt.JPG

There seems to have been a lot of pigeon activity on the hotel roof. Meg looks a powerful brute though, don't you think?

We seem to debate the aesthetics of the Thompsons on here quite often, but I really like them very much. (Apologies to 45156....)

Gilbert it sounds like you had a little bit too much sun yesterday; I hope you have recovered today?

Sincerely

Phil

• RMweb Premium

We seem to debate the aesthetics of the Thompsons on here quite often, but I really like them very much. (Apologies to 45156....)

Gilbert it sounds like you had a little bit too much sun yesterday; I hope you have recovered today?

Sincerely

Phil

Not the sun Phil, just 120 odd miles driving to and fro, and what one of my playing partners has today told everone was the best round of golf I've played in 20 years. That's an exaggeration, but it was good, and the concentration needed took a lot out of me. Today was 160 miles in the car, Summer Friday Skeggy traffic, and another eight miles walking. Recovery will, I hope, occur over the weekend.

Weeds and some wind-blown rubbish, that's what your fence needs!  Like weathering I appreciate that such details may be well down the list but in due course....

post-9071-0-86533100-1533333364.jpg

post-9071-0-42345900-1533333395.jpg

Of course ash and coal dust would suppress weeds and the ECML track was very well looked after - also weed and rubbish are difficult to spot in B & W photos. But nothing beds in a fence quite like some weeds, even if they are only around the base of the posts.

post-9071-0-32203100-1533333856.jpg

Just a suggestion - for future action?

Chaz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Weeds and some wind-blown rubbish, that's what your fence needs!  Like weathering I appreciate that such details may be well down the list but in due course....

attachicon.gifP1030052.jpg

attachicon.gifP1030063.jpg

Of course ash and coal dust would suppress weeds and the ECML track was very well looked after - also weed and rubbish are difficult to spot in B & W photos. But nothing beds in a fence quite like some weeds, even if they are only around the base of the posts.

attachicon.gifP1020517a.jpg

Just a suggestion - for future action?

Chaz

Definitely Chaz, I've got my eye on lots of little areas which need some treatment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another awful night with little sleep, caused, I think, by dehydration. I thought I'd been drinking plenty of water, but maybe not. You may also be able to guess the side effects of one of the tablets I have to take. So, still in zombie mode, and not motivated to anything other than sitting and dozing.

Two more photos to illustrate the progress round the bend.

post-98-0-96573500-1533374239_thumb.jpg

and to bring the bridge into play as well.

post-98-0-91010700-1533374295_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, as I really am having difficulty in stringing two thoughts together.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

... still in zombie mode, and not motivated to anything other than sitting and dozing.... I really am having difficulty in stringing two thoughts together.

Both my wife and I are also feeling like that - must be the mañana effect, coming up from Spain with this oppressive weather.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Should be drinking around 2litres of water in this weather. Probably more if out and about. Ok if you have a strong bladder.

I do the hat - Australia taught me that; (current hat bought from Sydney Botanic Garden); and I do 2 litres - but not necessarily of water !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say that hat also important even if you have loads of hair.

Although I dislike the ubiquitous golfing baseball type cap, I do wear one now when the sun is this strong. I drink at least a litre during a round, and plenty more during the rest of the day, but it obviously wasn't enough yesterday.

Gilbert,

It is with great sadness that I am writing this post to let you know that It is being reported on the New Forum on the "O" Gauge Guild website,that your dear friend and amazing modeller of buildings Allan Downes has passed away.

I am reluctant to start a new topic on this subject just in case it is incorrect,  although I fear that is not the case as many respected people are posting on the subject.

It is a very sad day for all of us that one of the best  old school modellers of fine buildings is no longer with us.

Perhaps you could let Peter Leyland know in case he does not reads this.

Regards,Derek.

PS:- despite doing a search,it would appear that Ian (Old Dubbers) has already started a topic named "Allan Downes..

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

It is with great sadness that I am writing this post to let you know that It is being reported on the New Forum on the "O" Gauge Guild website,that your dear friend and amazing modeller of buildings Allan Downes has passed away.

I am reluctant to start a new topic on this subject just in case it is incorrect,  although I fear that is not the case as many respected people are posting on the subject.

It is a very sad day for all of us that one of the best  old school modellers of fine buildings is no longer with us.

Perhaps you could let Peter Leyland know in case he does not reads this.

Regards,Derek.

PS:- despite doing a search,it would appear that Ian (Old Dubbers) has already started a topic named "Allan Downes..

It is correct  I'm afraid, Derek. We knew it was coming, and to be honest, when he suddenly posted on here a few days ago after a long silence I did wonder whether he knew that the end was near.

We did indeed spend a lot of time together during the build of my loft layout back in the late 90s, and he was very supportive when I myself was going through cancer treatment. As you say, a hugely talented modeller, and a real hoot to be with, the type of character that doesn't seem to exist any more.

I have a myriad of stories about Allan, but perhaps now is not the time for most of them. Let us just say that he had his own ideas about what should go where, as when I asked him to do some basic terrace houses to stand at the top of the embankment overlooking the main line and the large loco depot. I'll never forget the reply. "Gilbert, my boy, two up two downs, you might as well use Superquick. I'll tell you what I can do up there, three lovely mansions!"  He went on to tell me very expansively how lovely they would look, and did not seem to accept at all that not many millionaires would build their mansions in such a noisy and smoky location. Still, I insisted, terraces Allan. What did I get? Terraces, but with downstairs bay windows, and generally up market Victorian/Edwardian. Beautifully built, of course, and I couldn't say no to them. At least I didn't get any battlements. :jester:  Some might call him a loveable rogue. I know he had a heart of gold.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sad to read about Alan Downes. He lived quite close to me, although I'd never met him. In my younger years, both my wife and I marvelled at his buildings in Railway Modeller.

• Like 1