It's nearly here! The London Festival of Railway Modelling - March 16 & 17

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Had a very pleasant weekend on the demos stand with my little landscaping demonstration. I hope it was useful to those who stopped to ask questions. Didn’t get much time to look around but Hope-Under-Dinmore remains a highlight wherever it goes. 

Nestor 

048A00A0-6C46-4520-95C1-BEEB95571668.jpeg.52e627601dbd62bb3043ed974536ce20.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, nest said:

Had a very pleasant weekend on the demos stand with my little landscaping demonstration. I hope it was useful to those who stopped to ask questions. Didn’t get much time to look around but Hope-Under-Dinmore remains a highlight wherever it goes. 

Nestor 

048A00A0-6C46-4520-95C1-BEEB95571668.jpeg.52e627601dbd62bb3043ed974536ce20.jpeg

I certainly learnt a little bit when stopping for a chat on Sunday :) Especially discussing how weather and light change the look of a scene.  

• Thanks 1

Here's a little video I put together over the weekend of the show, featuring just a selection of the fabulous layouts on display. A big well done to everyone involved with the exhibition - I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it seemed everyone I spoke to at the show was having a good time as well 😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

I would like to extend my thanks to everyone involved in staging this event. This was the first exhibition I’ve been to in the UK for many years and it was only due to a last minute change of plans that I was able to attend at all. The venue is, of course, superb and even on the Saturday morning I found it busy, but not too crowded. I was very impressed with the whole thing and it was very useful to be able to speak directly with several manufacturers (Accurascale, Revolution Trains, Bachmann and The N Gauge Society). It was also good to find some small enterprises who had, until now, slipped under my radar and I was able to pick up some useful bits and pieces. I thought the layout variety was good with my favourite being City Basin Goods; high quality modelling with trains being operated at realistic speeds and faultless operation (at least when I was watching). I was hoping to be able to personally thank @AY Mod for his contributions to the hobby but he was nowhere to be seen, and the same for @Phil Parker but he was busy every time I passed by. Many thanks to both gentlemen. 
And I only got bumped by rucksacks twice 😆

Thanks, glad you enjoyed City Basin Goods, it’s what makes attending shows a pleasure

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/03/2024 at 09:25, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Also enjoyed chatting to one of the guys on the work in progress Orchard Wharf about the trials and tribulations in their approach to inset trackwork.

Thank you! We had a great time, some really good chats with visitors (and other exhibitors, and at least one trader with interesting information about upcoming 4mm scale models ...) and I have to say, I didn't expect the level of interest we received. It was great that the 'plywood desert' turned out to be so fertile :-)

To be honest I was also impressed by how well things ran on OW -- yes, everybody saw our trains dividing and finding more interesting routes than the ones we'd set up: I'd say these originated equally from track and couplings. On the track front, there are some issues with transitions between level and gradient, one place where with a traverser set to a certain road even a Gronk couldn't get through the gap beneath, and here and there a naughty turnout. On the couplings: they're Sprat and Winkles (3mm) and it looks as if we need to agree which way the hook should be angled and how much. Yes, we do have a gauge. No, it didn't save us!

Our layout's got to the point now where hopefully the remaining amount of work is nowhere near as daunting as it has appeared to us over the last few years. It's a club project and I hope we'll see many more of our members contributing to building and running it, not least because as last weekend showed it can be a very rewarding experience.

Ben

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hi all,

We've been in discussion with Ally Pally about the unacceptable car parking situation for traders and layout owners. They have ensured us that ALL fines will be cancelled so should you receive a fine letter, please just ignore it.

We're sorry for any hassle this has caused. Trust me, we'll be speaking with the venue about how we can ensure this doesn't happen at the 2025 event!

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 4

Hello,

I don't know whether any other members of RMWEB subscribe to Popbitch but the exhibition was referred to as "Glastonbury for train sets" in relation to the visit by Hugh Grant. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I thought it was amusing !

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

I don't know whether any other members of RMWEB subscribe to Popbitch but the exhibition was referred to as "Glastonbury for train sets" in relation to the visit by Hugh Grant. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I thought it was amusing !

My colleague has mentioned this (what the hell's he doing on there?). I look forward to the new 'long drop' facilities overhanging the North car park.

• Funny 1

On 25/03/2024 at 15:21, SteveCole said:

Hi all,

We've been in discussion with Ally Pally about the unacceptable car parking situation for traders and layout owners. They have ensured us that ALL fines will be cancelled so should you receive a fine letter, please just ignore it.

We're sorry for any hassle this has caused. Trust me, we'll be speaking with the venue about how we can ensure this doesn't happen at the 2025 event!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I wish I'd seen this sooner or exhibitors had been emailed about this as I've just paid a £60 fine for setting up on the Friday.  Will my fine be refunded please?

Thanks,

Tom Marshall 

(Buggleskelly Station stand 119)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/03/2024 at 19:19, Buggleskelly1937 said:

Hi Steve,

I wish I'd seen this sooner or exhibitors had been emailed about this as I've just paid a £60 fine for setting up on the Friday.  Will my fine be refunded please?

Thanks,

Tom Marshall 

(Buggleskelly Station stand 119)

I was told by Phil Parker to 'stop banging on about this problem'.

And here we are weeks after the event where the organisers seem to have done nothing about informing exhibitors about the problem and I'm sure many have paid up.

Dave.

On 31/03/2024 at 13:51, dasatcopthorne said:

I was told by Phil Parker to 'stop banging on about this problem'.

And here we are weeks after the event where the organisers seem to have done nothing about informing exhibitors about the problem and I'm sure many have paid up.

Dave.

I notified the organisers and was told all the parking tickets for set up on Friday would be cancelled, but I also appealed to Euro Park. Today I have received the result of my appeal which says I parked and didn't pay, so I need to pay the fine. I wish someone would sort this out?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
On 31/03/2024 at 13:51, dasatcopthorne said:

9 minutes ago, BanburyKev said:

I need to pay the fine. I wish someone would sort this out?

It should be obvious from this topic that @SteveCole is the best point of contact for resolution.

On 25/03/2024 at 15:21, SteveCole said:

Hi all,

Steve

'Banging on' in the topic isn't the most efficient way, he wouldn't know your name, reg, dates, times etc from this topic would be?

Just get in touch!