It's nearly here! The London Festival of Railway Modelling - March 16 & 17

SteveCole

The big positive about this show was it was packed even though it might have lacked "superstar" layouts this year. There seemed to be more families there and newcomers/returners too. I think reports of the hobby's death are greatly exaggerated.

In terms of retail there was stuff for every pocket. I picked up two Lima locos for less than £30 each. Back home and half an hour's service later and they are very sweet runners on my retro layout. Good to see an exhibition where retailers aren't just trying to shift "premium" stuff but are catering for all - very much the right ethos for an exhibition in "the people's palace."

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Well if he did he didn't have a look at Top Yard, unless he did when Clive was playing on it! Miserable get! 

A great weekend, well done to all involved in the organising. Despite the parking tribulations, all went relatively smoothly. Top Yard is starting to grow on me, and seemed to appeal to a few people, especially the fellah who described the scenery as 'Gravettesque'! I will take that as a complement, though Gordon and Maggie may beg to differ! So onwards and upwards then!

Well done everybody, you've all done very well!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Glad Top Yard is growing on you, it's a nice little plan, been thinking about how it could be operated, should you extend fiddle yard!

I had too much time on my hands Sunday! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If I did see a common theme this year it was a lot of long and narrow layouts representing very little beyond the railway boundary; I find that "width" greatly helps with creating a sense of place so a few of them didn't grab my attention for long, but the quality of workmanship was consistently high.  

Conversely, I've seen plenty of photos from OnTraxs of layouts that regardless of their size, are very much of a scene with a train in and not what you describe, but that is an example of subjective analysis Vs selective photos. I can see how they might take longer to build, be less interesting to operate and more difficult to transport, but it's something that has piqued my interest and am looking at for the future.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Portpatrick said:

Interesting to see comments on the car parks.  I drove in at c 8.30 on Saturday and was directed by marshals into what was signed as an exhibitors area.  Well I was not going to debate that one.   I asked about the parking fee and how to do it and was told it was free.  I supposed it might be for exhibitors?  I was not going to disillusion him!  Anyway up the hill I found a quite short advance ticket holders queue and was in just after 9.30.  When ~I left c14.30 I noted the pay point so duly set to .  It picked up my car once I had got as far as inputting the opening letters and digits and the machine completed my registration plate, so somewhere an auto reader had noted my arrival, and asked me for the £8 fee.  Which I duly paid.  This leaves a question in my mind about whether exhibitors were not charged and how that was achieved, as the implication seems to me that if I had not paid I would have received a rude letter!  Arriving when I did, I could have been a trader or layout operator.  

Any way I have never had problems with the principle of paying for car parking.  I do though consider that applying the £8 rate after exceeding only 4 hours is a bit excessive.

Exhibitors were given car park passes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's like £1.80 for a return ticket from Central to Exhibition (did that as it got me a cheaper seat with Avanti).

Yeah I’m local so I think it’s the same fare from my station to anywhere in Central Glasgow . £4.70 normally but £2.70 to me as I’m now an old geezer .  I got caught out by the Hydro parking before . Is it £2 for the first hour and £11 thereafter . Of course who goes to a show that’s less than one hour ………rip off 

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Exhibitors were given car park passes.

Yes, we were, they were on display, and the very helpful staff on the ground were aware of that. Unfortunately the ANPR system appears to still have tagged cars, and decided we owe money. I’ve sent my car details to Steve Cole and I’m sure it’ll get sorted

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Portpatrick said:

Good Grief.  I won't be going there!

as i said before but you didnt see it , Its £3.00 all day at the science center and its about the same distance 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, fezza said:

Good to see an exhibition where retailers aren't just trying to shift "premium" stuff but are catering for all - very much the right ethos for an exhibition in "the people's palace."

Given that I would assume that stall costs at this size of exhibition are at the upper end of the scale I'd say it was positively magnanimous!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, arran said:

as i said before but you didnt see it , Its £3.00 all day at the science center and its about the same distance 

It’s only £3 if you are a visitor to the Science Centre.  Otherwise it’s £8.50 for up to 9 hours.  Full details for others here: https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/visit/parking  Although not sure I should increase awareness of it; I might end up not being able to get a space!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 26power said:

It’s only £3 if you are a visitor to the Science Centre.  Otherwise it’s £8.50 for up to 9 hours.  Full details for others here: https://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/visit/parking  Although not sure I should increase awareness of it; I might end up not being able to get a space!

Fair enough But still cheaper but not by much.  you get screwed on parking these days .

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I think you may be referring to the MRC's 'York Road' which is a 2mm finescale representation of the tube that fits with the rest of Copenhagen Fields in the full setup

Thanks, but it wasn't York road. I've taken a screen shot of it, looks like a couple of layout modules possibly?

Screenshot (412).png

22 minutes ago, simon b said:

Thanks, but it wasn't York road. I've taken a screen shot of it, looks like a couple of layout modules possibly?

Screenshot (412).png

Ah yes, that's actually part of the DOGA display. It's a really nice diorama display but every time I've seen it. the person on the stand hasn't been able to tell me much about it as 'someone else built it'. Here's a couple of images from the Longfield show:

PXL_20240127_114230497.jpg

PXL_20240127_114302747.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the show guide plan, and the background of that photo, it seems to be in the place occupied by the Double O Gauge Association.  Other than that, no details listed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Ah yes, that's actually part of the DOGA display. It's a really nice diorama display but every time I've seen it. the person on the stand hasn't been able to tell me much about it as 'someone else built it'. Here's a couple of images from the Longfield show:

PXL_20240127_114230497.jpg

PXL_20240127_114302747.jpg

That's the one! Thank you. It looked like some sort of shelf layout/diorama from the glimpse in the video, but I couldn't find any reference to it in the guide. An interesting bit of modeling either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon b said:

That's the one! Thank you. It looked like some sort of shelf layout/diorama from the glimpse in the video, but I couldn't find any reference to it in the guide. An interesting bit of modeling either way.

Its been there 3 years in a row now.

David Walsh is the owner.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 17/03/2024 at 20:51, Phil Parker said:

They are in the packs handed out on arrival. It's up to the exhibitors if and where they display them. 

They certainly were! There were layout ID sheets in the exhibitor packs. I can’t speak for others, but we had ours on display!

IMG_5075.jpeg.5b5973c3c7284667ea29370ed06e8b12.jpeg

Edited by Chris Chewter
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Ally Pally is just the most amazing building with an unrivalled view over N & E London.

I quite agree.  In the autumn of 2011 we attended a family wedding reception held in the Palm Court - basically where we we entered the complex at the weekend.  Way back in the 1970s, before the fire, I sang in a few major choral concerts in the great hall.  In the past I have taken layouts to the show on 2 occasions .  It is an extraordinary location.  On the first of those I was told to park round the back where the former railway station had been located. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say a huge thanks to the organisers for putting together such an awesome event! Had an absolute blast checking out all the layouts. It was very busy and I don't do too well with crowds, but it makes me happy to see our hobby is alive and well. I captured the layouts in a video. If you're interested, you can check it out here: 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Its been there 3 years in a row now.

David Walsh is the owner.

Correct on both counts.

Surely it is good enough to be exhibited as a layout? It currently has no fiddle yard (I am sure these can easily be built). David does not consider himself a good modeller but, on the evidence of what he has built, I disagree.

I would rather be able to see it properly, not as part of a society stand.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Correct on both counts.

Surely it is good enough to be exhibited as a layout? It currently has no fiddle yard (I am sure these can easily be built). David does not consider himself a good modeller but, on the evidence of what he has built, I disagree.

I would rather be able to see it properly, not as part of a society stand.

I agree with you mate. Its a nice little scene he has done. The CMAC 72 stock looks nice also and i spotted a pair of battery locos hiding away at the back.

he is a nice chap too. 

• Agree 1

My personal favourite layout exhibit was the one based on the RTC test track - with literally dozens of classic RTC items of rolling stock faithfully modelled.  

PXL_20240317_154738126.jpg

PXL_20240317_120525697.jpg

PXL_20240317_120549047.jpg

PXL_20240317_154716535.jpg

PXL_20240317_120542473.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I would like to extend my thanks to everyone involved in staging this event. This was the first exhibition I’ve been to in the UK for many years and it was only due to a last minute change of plans that I was able to attend at all. The venue is, of course, superb and even on the Saturday morning I found it busy, but not too crowded. I was very impressed with the whole thing and it was very useful to be able to speak directly with several manufacturers (Accurascale, Revolution Trains, Bachmann and The N Gauge Society). It was also good to find some small enterprises who had, until now, slipped under my radar and I was able to pick up some useful bits and pieces. I thought the layout variety was good with my favourite being City Basin Goods; high quality modelling with trains being operated at realistic speeds and faultless operation (at least when I was watching). I was hoping to be able to personally thank @AY Mod for his contributions to the hobby but he was nowhere to be seen, and the same for @Phil Parker but he was busy every time I passed by. Many thanks to both gentlemen. 
And I only got bumped by rucksacks twice 😆

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Chris Chewter said:

They certainly were! There were layout ID sheets in the exhibitor packs. I can’t speak for others, but we had ours on display!

IMG_5075.jpeg.5b5973c3c7284667ea29370ed06e8b12.jpeg

Well done. Had it been larger and mounted up on the facia it would have been more visible.

At a busy show, something that makes finding your way around is a definite benefit.

• Like 1