Roads under stations (location?)

Brighton station has a road going East/West under the front station concourse.

It also has another narrow road going North/South underneath  platforms 7 and 8. No longer used, it was built in the Victorian era, to allow horse-drawn taxis to ascend a gentle slope up to platform level, avoiding the steep incline at the top of Trafalgar Street.

Edited by Mike Buckner
Smelling Mistake
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is brilliant!  Gives me so much more scope with a mix of artistic license but yeah. Should be able to make something reasonable now. 

Edited by Moley48
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's a railway under Bank Quay not a road.

Wilmslow Station has platforms over a road.

Both ran under BQ and not through the same hole. Wonder what happened to it 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, keysan said:

Both ran under BQ and not through the same hole. Wonder what happened to it 

There is a road after the station that goes under but it’s outside the station limits that the OP refers to.

There was a big Proctor & Gamble site next to the station so nowhere for a road to go.

Unless you are thinking about Central station.

Edited by woodenhead

14 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There is a road after the station that goes under but it’s outside the station limits that the OP refers to.

There was a big Proctor & Gamble site next to the station so nowhere for a road to go.

Unless you are thinking about Central station.

Think that is the underbridge to the transporter bridge? 5 years since I went down there and you could see evidence of a track or trackbed leading up to it. The road bridge I am thinking about was underneath the station. I saw it my own eyes although I was very, very young. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulG said:

Chelmsford Station was originally built with a single island platform.

The access to the platform was within the bridge brick arch and for nany years you could see the access outline. 

The timber station building was sold and transported to become a private house when the station was rebuilt with two platforms. 

Paul 

Chelmsford has also scalped a fair few double-deckers over the years as well, just to remind them who is the boss!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, keysan said:

Think that is the underbridge to the transporter bridge? 5 years since I went down there and you could see evidence of a track or trackbed leading up to it. The road bridge I am thinking about was underneath the station. I saw it my own eyes although I was very, very young. 

I read the last bit like the old drunk in The Fast Show!

tenor.gif

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I read the last bit like the old drunk in The Fast Show!

tenor.gif

That is so funny and bang on truth. I was aged 2 and a half, born on Sankey Street, White Harte Hotel, NYE 1968 that my Gran parents ran at the time. The Pattern Arms opposite BQ was Greenhall Whitleys premier establishment. Granddad used to walk me over in the afternoon. Remember pubs closing in the afternoon? to watch the trains. I have no idea what I saw, it was just post steam. However, one of my first scribbles was obviously a 40. Anyway, I bought a bottle of wine to watch England tonight then got stuck into this enigma and I cant find anything either. However, I have been informed is was called Factory Lane.

Give me a few hours to research more. 

2 hours ago, keysan said:

Your memory is strong!  🙂

image.png.f208a8ed43c03a83311fac597a198413.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Your memory is strong!  🙂

image.png.f208a8ed43c03a83311fac597a198413.png

Well done my friend. I have just spent a good 50 mins on yotube and cracked this one. I need to walk the dog and not sure how to upload You tube DJ Jonny visits Banq Quay - Part 2. I started on part 6 luckily found it on 2 at around 7:50. The whole lot looks a good watch . 300 years of industry in a stones through of each over. The Mersey is a very wide shallow stretch of water until Warrington. Maybe we could spin each town off into a location thread.